richb77

novafox or vintage fox

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a Novafox (Rere) and vintage fox?

I ask as I won on eBay a "vintage tamiya car from the 80's" without body.

It has arrived and it's in fantastic condition underneath. The only issues are rusty springs and motor can. I'm suspect of its vintage and want to know how I could tell?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi, the main difference are, the real sponsors graphics on the fox, like weber carburetors, pennzoil or jackman wheels, and the second is that the fox has not the front sway bar, and you can fix it buying a parma one. the novafox has fake sponsors and comes already with the front sway bar, for the rest is the same, cause the novafox is a re-release "improved version" of the The Fox. Personally, if you are collecting as a tamiya enthusiast, i advice you to buy a fox and if needed, restore it and i leave as it comes, if you want to do vintage racing, make a project on the car or so on, i advice you to buy a novafox. hope i've been helpful !!

Stefano

This has no sway bar so could be original (the same guy had a vintage clod buster and some Nikkos too).

I have no shell so can't comment on the graphics which are a dead give away as mentioned.

So I could be a very lucky chap with a REALLY clean vintage

Start by posting a plethora of pictures of said car. Works wonders.

• Like 3

If it's an orginal Fox and not a Re-Re the rear drive shafts should have a rubber boot at each end, the Re-Re comes with dogbones (Unless you have an orginal Fox that was hopped-up with Thorp driveshafts)

Also, if it's a very early version, it will have different damper internals. If you unscrew the top of a damper there will be a little spring and a floating piston, I believe that was changed to the more usual diaphragm type sometime in it's first year of production.

I have an early Fox and it also cautions in the manual (an extra page stapled to it!) not to run the car with the rear suspension at it's lower limit, as it can damage the rubber-booted drive shafts.

• Like 3

The other differences are the front arms, the re-re got shorter and wider ball connectors for those.

The original Fox came with a Upright Stay for the front upright, the re-re only got some washer.

Sorry for the delay in getting some photos attached. I have been away.

So here are 4 shots of my fox (I believe it's original it's just the best used car I have ever bought).

image.jpg3_zps8ktzgbtz.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsorvf0akg.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsnks3cjgw.jpg

image.jpg1_zps20wfuf5i.jpg

It's fitted with a MSC. It's surely got to be an original.

• Like 2

I agree. I can't see any of the ReRe pointers on it. Not bad for £30!

• Like 1

It's definitively an original one, even the chassis is original (no crossed out trash bin there). Great find, a real bargain.

Keep us informed about your restoration, I would like to see the result.

what's with the chunk of wood? :) it's original but not old enough for steampunk

I love the wood. I am going to try and keep it if possible :) I suspect it had a non fox body on it at some point but from the condition (its still "tight") i would say not for long.

Anyone know where i can get GOOD repro Fox decals? PandaGFX (I'm looking at you WillyChang) are sold out :(

Sorry bud, since re-re appeared not planning any printruns anytime soon :( ... more annoyingly I can't even find my own file copy anymore for my resto project, especially now since it's actually finished & motoring around on its genuine MSC.

The differences I notest between my shelf queen classic and my new to me nova fox
We're as follows
Fox has alloy c hub carriers in the front , plastic Boomerang style on the nova .

Fox has the steering servo placed back in the chassis with an alloy extension on the horn
To hide the mounting screws inside the cavaty/ groove in the floor, and a rubber seal for the chassis for the servo saver hole,
nova has the servo up front with sponge tape to seal the exit hole for the saver and the screws exposed throu the floor

Fox has rubber sealed cv's , nova has dog bones

Fox stickers have brand name sponsers , nova has some fake some real and obveasly the name change .

Nova has a crossed out trash can on the under side chassis for recyclable , the fox does not

The nova sway bar is mounted under the body , the fox after market one has fiberglass mounts sandwiched between the uprights and the chassis facing fowards!

Mine are both full bearinged ! But fox came with bushes , nova comes wth all bearings except
The 4 front wheel bearings .
Other wise the same !

fox had msc . nova came with none but esc was an option

Just one thing to add , there was a genuine Tamiya hopup  front anti roll bar available for the original Fox, I have one fitted to all my Foxes.