simensays

Simensays :: Sand Scorcher Baja Buggy Custom

Continued some work for a project I started on years ago, the Baja Surf Buggy. This is another of my favourite projects, which is based on an orginal Sand Scorcher (I have no re-re cars in my collection), but it was upgraded with lots of great custom parts made by various TC members. One detail that was fun to make, was the 1:10 Kelly Slater Channel Island/Al Merrick replica I scratch built. I'll update with current pics soon, as the board has some more missing decals, and the actual car has some RR wheels & alu rims. Next up will be paint and some more custom designed parts. There are others roof racks that looks sexier, but I wanted to make one that is widely used...

The first preview of the project can be viewed http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=76974&sid=610'>here.

simensays_surf_baja_1.jpg
simensays_surf_baja_2.jpg

The first custom part I've started designing, is a roof rack for the surfboards (I've already made a 3D printable version surfboard also). I based my design on a traditional VW bug rack - for you VW purist, please correct me, as the rack is probablt not made by VW? I plan to print the rack frame in metal, and screw in the wood with some tiny screws I ordered from eBay.

Reference pic of the rack:

simensays_surf_baja_ref.jpg

Work in progress:

simensays_surf_baja_rack_1.jpg
simensays_surf_baja_rack_2.jpg

simensays_surf_baja_rack_3.jpg

simensays_surf_baja_rack_5.jpg

simensays_surf_baja_rack_6.jpg
simensays_surf_baja_rack_7.jpg

I will update this project as it continues now...

• Like 4

That rack will look sick. Will it also fit the 58383 beetle?

Jim, I'm designing it for the original Sand Scorcher body, so it should fit the ABS versions of the later releases of this body - but I'm not sure about the lexan 58383 Beetle body, as I do not have it. It should be pretty easy to make it work though. I working on some mounting brackets, to make it as scale looking as possible, and so I don't have to drill holes to mount it.

Roof racks are probably one of the most readily available scale accessory for RC cars, but I've yet to find any that I like for the Sand Scorcher. There're a couple custom ones here on TC that looks amazing (i.e. fellow TC member http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=77084&sid=23428'>7.2inchdriver one), but they are one off custom made, and I really need a rack to mount the surfboards properly for this project.

Sorry, James - this has been on the back burner for in midst of other projects. However, now that I've complete the major work on the Big Oly Blazer, I will continue with the Surf Baja Bug. It's been ages since I did any work on a SRB, so it's gonna be refreshing :)

The roof rack is om the top of the list of things I will address, as it is almost compete and I need it before the car goes into paint.

This is looking really good - did you get any further with it?

Sorry, all my SRB work has been on the back-burner for a long while, but I will pick it up at some point.