Sign in to follow this  
Biz73

best type of glue?

I have a broken boomerang bumper that I would like to try to fix and make it last a bit longer. I have cut a piece of styrene plastic that I would like to glue to the underside of the bumper. What would be the best item to glue them together with?

A previous owner tried to glue it before, I will remove all of it before I glue.

boomer%20bumper%205%201280x960.jpg

boomer%20bumper%204%201280x960.jpg

boomer%20bumper%203%201280x960.jpg

boomer%20bumper%202%201280x960.jpg

There will have to be some sanding to reshape it a little, and some black paint.

boomer%20bumper%201%201280x960.jpg

boomer%20bumper%207%201280x960.jpg

Let me know what you think might work best.

Thanks

I was hoping something like that would work, I just want to make sure it doesn't melt the bumper plastic aside from the bonding process. I'll look for something similar here in the US.

Thanks

Liquid Poly glue will be less messy than the thicker tube version. It's available from model shops and looks like clear water in a glass bottle. I don't think it'll melt the bumper plastic at all but it will be perfect on the styrene and it bonds surprisingly well on large areas. I've used it to glue styrene sheets to wood with great results, it might help if you roughen the bumper plastic with sand paper first.

It's also worth mentioning that you can get black styrene sheet (or plasticard) that'll save you the hassle of painting and won't show up any scrapes as much as the white stuff.

2 part epoxy or JB Weld? (tough stuff...it should work on just about any material)

To be honest I would be looking at joining the part on first before strengthening. A hot solder iron and a cable tie as a filler rod works well but it is a one attempt deal.

That bumper has a waxier flexier feel than straight ABS styrene, not sure how well it'll weld with styrene cement. Haven't had any luck gluing so far... it's usually the front "wings" that get knocked off before the screw tabs, unless you've been running missing a screw or 2.

Since re-re a new bumper is easiest, even though it don't match the old. New's got hole for servosaver :(

Might try to "scab plate" it, especially if it's for a runner. Thin piece of fiberglass or carbon fiber cut just like your template. Use a decent epoxy to bond them.and use small sheet metal srews to hold it in place in the middle, Drill thru the plate and the post that's broken, use a 3mm nut and bolt to hold it in place.. That should hold it.

I was hoping the solvent welding would work, and melt the 2 pieces into 1, but I think it will be safer to just use something else. I did get an unbroken re-re bumper with this as well, I just wanted to try and make this one last as long as I can, my sons and I all suck at driving right now, so I'm sure we'll go through at least 1 bumper. I had never looked closely at the bumpers until yesterday, the re-re's have been beefed up in this spot to avoid breakage. Not sure why they put the hole to allow dirt and gravel into the servo area I think that's why that one was back in the parts box and not used as my first choice. It's been a long time since I started on this, with a lot of other stuff in between, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on some of it :) If the bumper only lasts a week, oh well, I tried.

Nobbi - I couldn't do the weld because the screw holes would not quite line up anymore and it would strip the plastic when I screwed it in. That is a good idea that I will probably use for other projects, so thank you.

Crash - I'm not that worried about it. That's some major surgery right there ;)

Thanks for your input guys

Black tape.

Tape over the new big hole, tape over the front screw oval after installing.