Mad Ax

237mm shell options

I grabbed myself a TA03F from the 'bay last week, thinking it would be an interesting project for a drifter. I know drifting has come a very long way in the last 7 or so years but back in the day these front-engined beasts made good drift projects thanks to front-heavy weight distribution. Not one to do things the conventional way, I thought it be something fun to do.

Anyway, the chassis arrived, but has turned out to be a TA03FS - probably a Corolla or 206 (any way to tell just from the chassis..? I like to have things properly cataloged :D )

Aside from the re-re Porsche 911 GT2 which is going mad over in the other subforum, does anyone know of a good supply of 190 x 237mm shells? I wonder if some of the "new blood" (Killer Bodies, Rally Legends?) are of shorter dimensions?

I thoroughly detest Euroboxes in all their blobby jellymould manifestations, so the HPI 106 and Saxo shells are definitely out, I'd happy fit a street-painted Corolla shell if I could get my grubby mitts on one but I'm guessing they're rare, the MR-S Roadster might be a good shout - strictly it's the wrong engine/chassis layout for that shell, but it'll drift, right..?

Thinking outside the box, what's the wheelbase on hard Tamiya truck shells? oooh, I've got Brat and King Blackfoot shells lying around at home... maybe I'll measure those ;) I'd happily have a drift pickup...

Well I'm a long way from being any good at drifting but I too felt the TA03F would be a perfect drifter. Can't help you with the swb but I converted my TA03F into one and subsequently bought the TA03F pro which is even better and they are an absolute hoot for kitchen/conservatory drifting!!

I don't think the Brat will work on your chassis, because guess what shell I'm using for my TA03F drifter...

med_gallery_28308_2342_288574.jpg

Would the HPI Stratos work?!

• Like 1

As I suspected, the Brat arches look too big for regular touring rims. However I do have a KBF shell and I have been known to get technical with shortening them down :P

Just a little worried the KBF will be too narrow to really sit down over the TA03FS, but I'll test it out later.

HPI Stratos appears to be 225mm, shame as it was a good shout :)

I thoroughly detest Euroboxes in all their blobby jellymould manifestations, so the HPI 106 and Saxo shells are definitely out,

HPI Saxo or Pug 106 will fit ;)

You, at the back of the class, pay attention now :P

• Like 1

Aside from the Tamiya offerings I don't know of anything 'decent' that I would want to run. The Tamiya 206 and Corolla are equally rare and not exactly drift cars either!

I think the GT2 993 is your only realistic option!

For the sake of a belt and a chassis tub I would seriously consider changing it to touring car length, but can appreciate the interest in being different.

Dangit all, all this speak of Corolla, so I broke out this weirdo body I had in the closet. It is an HPI part number 7400 Corolla WRC body, BUT it is a 200mm at the rear and about 255mm from center of wheel to center of wheel on the front to rear wheelbase, Oh well, thought I could offer something up really different, but I guess I might be stuck with this until the Terminators take over. LOL

911 GT1 also fits that wheelbase :)

gallery_16696_3884_267787.jpg

As for telling what car it originally was, the Corolla had 6 spoke white wheels and the 206 had 5 spoke white wheels. So if the wheels look original they probably are. :)

James

:)

• Like 1

i was on the same crusade lifted thjis from another site kudos to origial poster:

HPI Citroen Saxo (Sprint GTI)
HPI Peugeot 106 GTi (Sprint GTI)

Tamiya:
PIAA Porsche 911 GT3 (TA03RS)
Toyota MR2 JCGT (TA04 SS)
Audi TT-R DTM (TA04SS)
Peugeot 206WRC (TA03FS)
Toyota Corolla WRC (TA03FS)
Porsche 911 GT1 (TA03RS)
Lancia 037 (TA03RS)

• Like 1

Beaten to the punch by James. I wanted to make an MR2 drifter years ago but stumbled on that weird wheelbase!

I'm not sure whether the GT1 would lend itself to an 03F would it James? The profile of the front seems very low!

• Like 1

Three numbers: 0-3-7 ;)

Would the 037 nose clear the motor with it being at the front?

Beaten to the punch by James. I wanted to make an MR2 drifter years ago but stumbled on that weird wheelbase!

I'm not sure whether the GT1 would lend itself to an 03F would it James? The profile of the front seems very low!

Before I was able to pick up a spare TA-03RS chassis for my Porsche GT1, I used to have it sitting atop a TA-03FS chassis. there were no clearance issues. Problem I see is that the Porsche GT1 body is far more rare than the Porsche GT2 body.

As above, the GT1 body does fit the TA03F-S chassis albeit with an ever so slightly higher ride height at the front. This can be cured by running hard springs along with an internal spacer inside the damper and if you wanted to can even run the low mount type damper mount at the front to give an almost exact ride height to the TA03R-S chassis version.

As for the 037, yes it would fit, but it would have to have a very high ride height. But add some rally block tyres and its in gravel spec ;)

Funny this thread has come up actually as I was this week going to put up one of my GT1 bodies for sale along with a low mount damper mount and possibly a TA03R front gearbox housing.

But saying that, with the imminent re-release of the Porsche 911 GT2, you will be able to pick up a bodyset very cheap and have a drift version if you wanted to :)

James

:)

Some very useful infos, thanks peeps

I measured the wheelbase of my King Blackfoot shell last night and it's also not a million miles out. The shell is probably a little too narrow but I've got a few interesting ideas.

037 is a superb idea but not sure I'd want it riding too high. Body sets are expensive now, too :(

A drift Porsche could well be a plan if the KBF idea doesn't work.

This is all for some future project, I'm in no rush to get started (which usually means I get cutting as soon as I get home) - but I'll put something up in the Builds section once I get on the case :)

You, at the back of the class, pay attention now :P

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

Oops.

Whoever mentioned MR2 drifter, Ive got a TA04 SWB MR2 available

As for original thread, I've got a nice Porsche shell (as illustrated by Jim) available ;)

Keep your eyes out on the bay and the RC pages on FB, occasionally the QuickRun versions of the 206 come up, someone flooded one on FB for a tenner last week.

Last night I tested a KBF shell, which is really not that far out. Unfortunately the motor mount fouls the front bumper and the rear suspension fouls the bed, so right now it looks like a no-go unless I get seriously technical with the dremel.

Looks like there's not much beyond Euroblobs that will fit without clearance issues, I'd happily own a Corolla shell for the shelf but there don't seem to be many around, so for now it's a project shelved. Maybe I'll extend it to full length later in the year and fit a regular touring shell :)

The Sand Scorcher was designed to fit a 250 mm wheelbase, but with the arches as they are some modification may make the shell work...

Interesting, a drifty scorcher :D I've got a few Kamtec Baja shells, arches are self-cuttable so that might be an interesting idea. I've got a badly beaten original Scorcher shell too and I've seen some people do very neat cut & shut jobs on Scorchers before :D

You could swap it to a rear motor if you can find the 03R front gearbox then make a cover for the rear bed to lift it's profile and hide the suspension.