Klausen

Monster Beetle re-release #58618

Seems like a lot of talk about this model looks like Tamiya is going to make a load of $ of this re release!

Seems like a lot of talk about this model looks like Tamiya is going to make a load of $ of this re release!

I think this kit will seep into mainstream culture/shopping, and may even bring more of a revival back. This was the kit that every kid in the UK wanted because it featured in the Freeman's and Empire catalogues from BITD!!

I'm looking forward to seeing the kind of excitement it creates when finally released

Aahhhhh, good times!

I love it when everybody and his son gets rid of the originals when a re-re is in sight. :lol:

Picked up a lovely original yesterday for EUR 80. Only needs a new nose cone.

And I'm stocked to see the re-re nose cone seems to be the exact same as original - with the same problem.

First major hit against the bumper and the spots are gone!

Looks to be a proper re-re, only differences I spotted so far:

- Sponsor decals changed, as usual.

- Sand Scorcher body with holes to be covered by decals.

- Sand Scorcher glass without rear window

- Different CVA shocks

Good eye, I didn't notice the sticker over the extra front body mount hole.

The beetle was also my first RC model. I remember a friend of mine getting a Nichimo Spirit FF over the summer of '89. I got to drive it once for about 30 seconds and after that I was hooked. I saw the Beetle in a magazine shortly after that and asked for it for Christmas. That was a long stretch until December. I tormented my mother all autumn wondering if I would get it. There was one point where I was sitting on this old clothes chest in her sewing room, going on and on about the Monster Beetle, meanwhile the kit was hidden in the chest I was sitting on.

• Like 3

Chassis picture is now on Tamiya USA, cant post here for some reason.

Why am I THIS giddy about this one? Its almost Egress level giddy. I need to calm down.

**** that image isn't showing now, how annoying. It was showing in my browser when I first posted it?!?!

Suspension travel seems to be about 8mm, if not less! :o

The dampers have been fitted with bump stops in the form of what looks like a plastic collar that slides on to the piston shaft. Remove those collars and travel should be the same as the originals.

• Like 1

It looks like the rear hubs/wheels have not changed. Besides the axles, electrics, and shocks, I would say it's exactly the same?

It looks like the rear hubs/wheels have not changed. Besides the axles, electrics, and shocks, I would say it's exactly the same?

Yep. And that is exactly the way most people have been wanting it. I wonder though if they ever even considered a gearbox upgrade? Probably not, lol.

I agree, Wandy, it's exactly what I've wanted also. I think the axle upgrade is just enough of a change to make it a solid runner if not pushed to extremes, but still original enough to please those of us who don't deal with change well.

Would have been interesting if they made it on the Super Blackfoot or King Blackfoot chassis. Then there wouldn't be any gear box issues at all.

fcc0ed49fbd3ad195019c060ede11ad3.jpg

64f102a26535eaef63a8c9dc0038e722.jpg

I agree, Wandy, it's exactly what I've wanted also. I think the axle upgrade is just enough of a change to make it a solid runner if not pushed to extremes, but still original enough to please those of us who don't deal with change well.

I doubt that everyone is the same but from my experience, every time I go brushless on a re-re it just feels too fast, wrong almost, and I revert to a sport tuned. I'm defo going sport tuned on this one!

• Like 1

The dampers have been fitted with bump stops in the form of what looks like a plastic collar that slides on to the piston shaft. Remove those collars and travel should be the same as the originals.

Well spotted! I'm betting that's it. What an easy fix that'll be!

Would have been interesting if they made it on the Super Blackfoot or King Blackfoot chassis. Then there wouldn't be any gear box issues at all.

That would have been interesting, but I think this opens up the doors for an original Blackfoot and Mudblaster re-re.

fcc0ed49fbd3ad195019c060ede11ad3.jpg

64f102a26535eaef63a8c9dc0038e722.jpg

I have to say that I'm super excited that they didn't try to put this on the WT-01 chassis. That would have been a HUGE let down. I'm very excited for the spare parts availablity again. I think it would have done great on a King or Super BF chassis however, then we wouldn't have the awesome rear bumper! MONSTER BEETLE!

• Like 1

Isn't this just a Frog chassis with some different F+R bumpers, F+R shock towers, F+R shocks, longer front arms (maybe?), larger wheels/tires and a beetle body?

Isn't this just a Frog chassis with some different F+R bumpers, F+R shock towers, F+R shocks, longer front arms (maybe?), larger wheels/tires and a beetle body?

Yes, it sure is ;)