Klausen

Monster Beetle re-release #58618

I wonder if that's why they added those shock limiters.

No, I mean they bind when fully de-compressed. The angle of the universals is too steep.

They work when the shocks are compressed.

The shock limiters would make sense if it was the other way round.

The re-release Monster Beetle oil dampers are C.V.A. II short shocks (e.g. #50520) molded in yellow and use short bottom ends. According to the manual, there are no droop limiters inside the damper body. They're not the old C.V.A. I design from the original MB.

• Like 1

The "gearbox sides flexing outward allowing the diff to spread/crunch" issue looks to be the same here, unless they made the gearbox side plates thicker :(

I see modelsport have put the release date back to November 5th! You can get them in Canada now but good old UK (also could be Europe) gets a multitude of release dates no wonder people order from the Asian countries!

I was told the same, 10th October was the date they gave me

That sounds better! Wonder why modelsport change the dates? Mind you it's not the first time they've done that with tamiya rc's

Interesting footnote on page 21 of the manual: "Once attached to body, side mirror parts cannot be detached. Attach only if model is for display purposes."

It's nice that they've considered those who will get one of these as a shelfer and included parts to pretty it up!

• Like 1

Rc models are meant to be put in action. But tamiya always look good on shelves too...

I plan to run mine on grass, how deep can it be roughly? Just going to add bearings first the drive shafts look pretty good now are there any mods worth getting before starting the build?

Short grass will be OK, but long grass will put a lot of strain on the motor, which then runs hot.

If parts break, its good that spare parts should become available at reasonable prices. The plastic brace between the rear bodymounts is prone to break, there are aftermarket metal braces. There are also a ton of aftermarket reinforcement parts for this chassis made by Team CRP.

There are some modifications that either work by reinforcing the gearbox sideplates against flexing (BiggusDitchus' mod: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=95681&id=280 ), or even by modifying the diff itself against the forces that try to separate the diff gears and outdrives (oldfrogshot's screw mod: http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=24674&sid=3142 ).

• Like 1

Short grass will be OK, but long grass will put a lot of strain on the motor, which then runs hot.

If parts break, its good that spare parts should become available at reasonable prices. The plastic brace between the rear bodymounts is prone to break, there are aftermarket metal braces. There are also a ton of aftermarket reinforcement parts for this chassis made by Team CRP.

There are some modifications that either work by reinforcing the gearbox sideplates against flexing (BiggusDitchus' mod: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=95681&id=280 ), or even by modifying the diff itself against the forces that try to separate the diff gears and outdrives (oldfrogshot's screw mod: http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=24674&sid=3142 ).

Thanks yea I see, theres a nice area by me I want to try and get some actual use in a decent space for once. I guess its park/green area council owned etc so doesn't get mowed all to often will give it a go.

Expect more will come out to, wonder if anything else on gear box has been modified or is it just the new drive shafts?

I hadn't seen the mod to stop the side plates flexing, but would be interested in this one. Were these ever available to purchase or does anyone have a template for them?

Cheers

Rob

I got a leftover pair of Biggus' sideplates from Twinset, they got mounted on my brother's Monster Beetle. I don't know if any still are available or if another production run is planned. Without the original drawings, reproducing the plates might be difficult, since there are tight tolerances between 3 screws and the hole for the outdrive.

Thanks Greg,

Maybe now the re-re is coming there maybe some aftermarket mods released along these lines.

• Like 1

Personally I'm not convinced those additional plates make any difference. The main issue is one of the diff flanges runs in direct resistance with the bearing carrier. This causes the bearing carrier to wear and then the diff separates causing the clicking. As stated you will need to convince me that the side plates are the cause.

Having owned and built many ORV chassis cars the best and only solution in my opinion is the oldfrogshot method. There was heavy duty bearing carriers floating around but I've never seen one up close.

As stated I hope they bring a hop up diff out like they did for the SRB.

• Like 1

+1 on the hop up diff. Or a new aftermarket option.

I've been looking at the vintage Thorp and Dirt Burners solutions on eBay and just can't defend those prices.

That cty300 has amazing selection but staggering prices as well.

I've got a vintage blackfoot. It has the issues as mentioned above. This re-re monster beetle release could be great news for vintage owners.

Thanks for the link GregM. I don't think I have the skills or equipment to lock the diff, wish I did. The plates look great too. I'd buy a hop up diff.

cty300 has amazing selection but staggering prices as well.

Second that!

I priced out a full NOS Thorp set up with him and it was more than my Honda Civic was worth! Ha!

I gambled on a used set Robinson Tranny (superjayc) and ended up having to replace one gear... Otherwise it has been fantastic!

Terry