Klausen

Monster Beetle re-release #58618

Yeah - literally. Before my work situation went bananas and I had more time to work on projects I bit off loads more than I can presently chew... and you can't just throw this stuff out or mix it all up in giant tubs. So I finally bit the bullet and realized I need to realign my collection to already built shelfers and NIB kits. Only keeping about 40% of my unfinished projects and may part ways with a few more runners here and there. chickenman242tk has already helped hugely and taken a Striker project, a redundant Thundershot project, a 2x redundant Boomerang project, a redundant Bearhawk project, and a Madcap runner off my hands (thanks Paul!).

This is what the sofa in my home office looks like as of today, and this is a huge improvement. The goal is to have this area habitable by humans by thinning out projects and parts and relocating the handful of projects I want to keep to the garage.

22051811563_25d3d500b3_o.jpg

Holy #%&@!!!!!

That's a gold mine!!!!

I'm gonna print that pic, next time the wife makes a comment...

"It could be worse...!!!"

And I only have 3 trucks...

Well, 3 1/2 once my other chassis gets here....

• Like 1

Lemme know if you want to come off one of those Blackfoot Body Kits... I might be interested...

Terry

I was gonna make the same comment... (but idk bout the current $$$ situation...)

• Like 1

Holy #%&@!!!!!

That's a gold mine!!!!

I'm gonna print that pic, next time the wife makes a comment...

"It could be worse...!!!"

And I only have 3 trucks...

Well, 3 1/2 once my other chassis gets here....

Yeah show your wife these too...

22675041705_04a9582eb9_b.jpg

22686211901_0e20d1baf3_b.jpg

...and that's after clearing out shelf space for the projects I'm keeping to finish and not including most of my real runners. But there are members here whose collections DWARF mine big time.

• Like 5

Yeah show your wife these too...

22675041705_04a9582eb9_b.jpg

22686211901_0e20d1baf3_b.jpg

...and that's after clearing out shelf space for the projects I'm keeping to finish and not including most of my real runners. But there are members here whose collections DWARF mine big time.

That's all I got... No words... Speechless...

I thought I was getting out of control... My wife would walk in and see that, pull out her phone and tell Siri to find her a divorce lawyer!!!!! And she don't usually say TOO much about what I buy, except maybe "and, you needed that...??" You guys are a bad influence!!!!

Hi guy's after reading about the diff problem I thought of a idea that may fix it and will be very easy to do?

see the photo bellow, why can't you buy to extra gearbox side plates and cut across them so you keep the bottom section with the three screw mounting holes that sits around the diff and simply bolt on a extra side plate section on each side to make it thicker so it won't bend?

You may need to dremel the center hole out a little larger also.

s-l500.jpg

I have several ORV monster truck runners. One has the Oldfrogshot screw mod. On another, I've done exactly what you suggested shelonco. So far, it's been working.

best order some more gearbox plates then!

Wow that is a lot of RC stuff, I thought mine was bad, lol got about 8-10 in total and no where near as much stuff to go with, still wife complains need to show her this!

I tried this to strengthen my gear box so that it was appropriately braced all the way round.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75155&p=568817

It kinda works, but you have to get the centre screw tension just right to avoid clogging up the gears.

I was avoiding screwing up the universal shafts with some bad drilling and tapping with the screw mod.

I rebuilt my diff yesterday with new bevels and a 0.5mm shim (Traxxas 3981) between the right-side large bevel gear and the support bearing. Seems like just the right thickness to remove the play and still be free spinning. I ran it once and it sounds good, but I'll see how it's doing 10 runs from now. After that, I'll be going with the screw mod.

Biggus and I messed about with the gearbox a while back, bracing it with some stainless plates;

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=95689&id=169

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=95681&id=280

img280_03012010194228_5.jpg

Speaking as the dude who got the aftermarket Egress BF8 and BF9's made, I'm betting if you got some of these made up they'd sell like hot cakes. You could put me down for two sets already.

I didn't make any money on my Egress parts but I did pretty much break even which basically meant I got a few sets for myself for close to nothing :)

Just a thought, I'd love to get my mitts on some of these!

• Like 1

Speaking as the dude who got the aftermarket Egress BF8 and BF9's made, I'm betting if you got some of these made up they'd sell like hot cakes. You could put me down for two sets already.

I didn't make any money on my Egress parts but I did pretty much break even which basically meant I got a few sets for myself for close to nothing :)

Just a thought, I'd love to get my mitts on some of these!

I'd buy a set or 3. Even just for the coolness factor!

I expect to be making parts for strengthening the Monster Beetle at some point early next year. One question I would like peoples' opinion on, is whether the Thorp ball diff is considered superior because it doesn't grenade like the standard gear diff, or because of the fact that it is a ball diff and has the qualities that brings to the table. If a ball diff isn't really necessary in this type of vehicle (my current feeling) then a strengthened gear diff is the answer. I would consider producing dedicated ball differential units for the car if there was demand.

I don't understand, if it was crap the first time round why have they just released it with the same issues? And why are people paying out good money to buy something faulty and then spend more to fix it!

Paying out a heck of a lot less than they would have done when originally released though. Perhaps to keep the price down they decided not to do any re-engineering.

• Like 1

I don't understand, if it was **** the first time round why have they just released it with the same issues? And why are people paying out good money to buy something faulty and then spend more to fix it!

I only spend my "bad money" on it... The "good money" the wife gets, and that goes towards bills and such.... I would NEVER spend my GOOD money on this stuff...

Unless I ran out of bad money, then I might... because to be quite honest w you...

(I think I feel an addiction coming on...!!!)

Lol

But I totally hear what you are saying, it should not be an issue, I mean they had like almost 30years to correct it...! R&D must be a slow dept. over there at the plant... Would be a cool job though, hmmmm..... Wonder if they are hiring... I'll be back...

Yeah, I never got why Tamiya went to the time to add proper dogbones but never improved the diff. In all honesty, I've had more issues with skipping bevel gears than the old hex-headed halfshafts.

Yeah, I never got why Tamiya went to the time to add proper dogbones but never improved the diff. In all honesty, I've had more issues with skipping bevel gears than the old hex-headed halfshafts.

That makes complete sense... Guess I was too blinded by the re re that I didn't even think about it....

Yeah, I never got why Tamiya went to the time to add proper dogbones but never improved the diff. [...]

Well, just take a guess. Who do you think made more $$ back in the day when selling replacement differentials, Robinson, Thorp or... Tamiya Plastic Model Co.? :D

• Like 1

I have never had any issues with my 3 re re Frogs/Brat diffs and I run some pretty fast motors in them.

The most common problem is the side plates came loose on the diff case therefore the planetary gears slip . The original side plates used flanged nuts and the re re went to nylock nuts .

The dog bone set up is good once sorted. No drive line chatter like the optional cvd's have.

Biggus and I messed about with the gearbox a while back, bracing it with some stainless plates;

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=95689&id=169

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=95681&id=280

Hoping its ok with you, I just made up a DXF of this part based on your drawing and am waiting on some quotes from a couple of different companies. One quote for steel, one quote for carbon fibre. I'll happily share the DXF if you need it. Fingers crossed I got my measurements right ;) Your base drawing was fabulous!

• Like 1

Ouch, first quote is £25 per plate, so £50 per car. I think these guys maybe a tad on the expensive side lol.