Klausen

Monster Beetle re-release #58618

It is disappointing that they didn't do anything to address the diff. After 8 or 9 runs I started to hear the clicking with a stock motor and a tame 6 cell NiCd. Around run 10, I put in a 2S lipo and glued the tires to the rims, that was the last straw. It started doing it all the time.

That being said, it's a really fun vehicle to build and drive. I think if you address the diff when you build the truck, either by shimming or doing the screw mod, it will last you a lot longer between rebuilds.

I've been thinking long and hard about this gearbox reinforcement issue and even though the last homemade part couldn't work due to the MB's bumper mounting, I 'think' I've found the solution.

I'm going to get the new part prototyped this week, get some extra screws, washers and nuts ordered and have a go. If it works out it will be a tidy solution and will be as strong as an ox. Essentially its going to be sandwiched/reinforced with 6mm of ABS plastic on either side (12mm total) of the gearbox. If it can warp that, I'll eat my hat ;)

If it does work, I bet I could make up some complete re-enforcement sets for under/around £10. That would include all the needed custom made parts, screws, washers and nuts to complete the mod.

I love it when I start something like this, I get obsessed with it. Just like I did with the Egress parts. So much fun.

• Like 5

I've been thinking long and hard about this gearbox reinforcement issue and even though the last homemade part couldn't work due to the MB's bumper mounting, I 'think' I've found the solution.

I'm going to get the new part prototyped this week, get some extra screws, washers and nuts ordered and have a go. If it works out it will be a tidy solution and will be as strong as an ox. Essentially its going to be sandwiched/reinforced with 6mm of ABS plastic on either side (12mm total) of the gearbox. If it can warp that, I'll eat my hat ;)

If it does work, I bet I could make up some complete re-enforcement sets for under/around £10. That would include all the needed custom made parts, screws, washers and nuts to complete the mod.

I love it when I start something like this, I get obsessed with it. Just like I did with the Egress parts. So much fun.

£10? Sign me up for at least two :)

I have one of these and will try to get it installed in my Frog this weekend...

Terry

Finally got this thing installed... Its nice... With the big MSC plate on the MB, MB drivers shouldn't have my issue with the gap at the top...

http://jpegbay.com/g...4785624-.html#1

Terry

• Like 2

Not built mine yet most likely be over xmas now, so get these bits done hehe, sounds like a good plan keep up posted!

Not built mine yet most likely be over xmas now, so get these bits done hehe, sounds like a good plan keep up posted!

Ha will do. My only worry at this stage is that I'll be able to make the kits up easily, but I wont be able to say with confidence that it solves the issue...as I wont have had chance to field test it for long enough to find out. I'd prefer to get mine built up, hammer a good 10 or more batteries out of it and then report back. I'm going to stick either a sport tuned or a torque tuned in with the hope that the extra beef (albeit only a small amount of extra beef) will help to exasperate the issue and make it apparent early on...at the expense of my gearbox ha haaa.

• Like 2

Yea best to test first, i will run as stock first and see how i go to, I guess being a re-re spares should be plentiful if need be!

It is disappointing that they didn't do anything to address the diff. After 8 or 9 runs I started to hear the clicking with a stock motor and a tame 6 cell NiCd. Around run 10, I put in a 2S lipo and glued the tires to the rims, that was the last straw. It started doing it all the time.

So the clicking noise is coming from the gearbox & not from the drive shafts?

Anybody tried to pack the gearbox with shims or replace the standard drive shafts with the upgraded hop up performance drive shafts that were for the frog..? I think tamiya should address this problem with a hop up kit of some sort if possible.

Ha will do. My only worry at this stage is that I'll be able to make the kits up easily, but I wont be able to say with confidence that it solves the issue...as I wont have had chance to field test it for long enough to find out. I'd prefer to get mine built up, hammer a good 10 or more batteries out of it and then report back. I'm going to stick either a sport tuned or a torque tuned in with the hope that the extra beef (albeit only a small amount of extra beef) will help to exasperate the issue and make it apparent early on...at the expense of my gearbox ha haaa.

Did somebody say "BEEF"? I always know... . . . . I see all with my 3rd eye... my BEEF eye.

p01l65dl.jpg

• Like 1

Did somebody say "BEEF"? I always know... . . . . I see all with my 3rd eye... my BEEF eye.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeef

• Like 1

So the clicking noise is coming from the gearbox & not from the drive shafts?

Anybody tried to pack the gearbox with shims or replace the standard drive shafts with the upgraded hop up performance drive shafts that were for the frog..? I think tamiya should address this problem with a hop up kit of some sort if possible.

The Monster Beetle 2015 already comes with the Frog hop up universal shafts. The clicking sound is from the diff gears grinding because of the flimsygearbox plates allowing the diff to separate under stress. I shimmed my diff and the clicking sound went away, but I honestly don't think it will last.

The Monster Beetle 2015 already comes with the Frog hop up universal shafts. The clicking sound is from the diff gears grinding because of the flimsygearbox plates allowing the diff to separate under stress. I shimmed my diff and the clicking sound went away, but I honestly don't think it will last.

Yeah... the side plates on the diff flex out allowing the gears to separate a little, afaik...

I think a better project would be to CNC new side plates...

Terry

Hey Guys,

Ooooooook. The prototyped parts, screws, nuts and washers arrived today! I've quickly mocked it up (will build it out fully tonight) quickly just now and its looking like a winner! A total of 12mm of ABS plastic is now sandwiching this gearbox together so by god that diff shouldn't separate under that amount of force.

The first piece (the one with only one screw hole) allows it to be attached and not be affected by the bumper mount (where I slipped up with V1 of this fix). The second piece has a wider opening to compensate for the shafts and then locks into all 3 holes, 2 of which have the bumper mount underneath them.

Looks pretty tidy too I think! It fits like a glove.

MB-01.JPG

MB-02.JPG

MB-03.JPG

MB-04.JPG

• Like 11

That looks awesome!!!!

^^^this!

I wonder how it will fit around a CRP skid plate and bumper??? I might have to test it our once we get them in production!

Looks great MHeald!

Terry

^^^this!

I wonder how it will fit around a CRP skid plate and bumper??? I might have to test it our once we get them in production!

Looks great MHeald!

Terry

That looks awesome!!!!

Cheers chaps! This wouldn't have happened so quickly if it wasn't for BIGGUS and TWINSET's design, this was based around that. Their design is perfect for any ORV without a bumper, it just needed some extra thought, modification and an extra piece designing to work on the Beetle.

Lets hope it actually works now lol.

Super nice!

The diff in my vintage Beetle and my Blackfoot isn't clucking yet, but its good to know that there is a solution available if it starts doing that.

But maybe I'm to much of a golfcourse offroader to damage that diff and the sideplates.

• Like 1

Looks very professional. Count me in for a couple of sets too if you do sell them

• Like 1

Me too!!!

In case that wasn't "assumed" from my original post...

I know, I know...

***-u-me...

• Like 1

Glad you like the look of it guys!

Yeah if it works out I'll likely sell some. I've not had chance to build it up tonight due to work commitments but will do soon and then test it out.

I wanted to bash a good ten+ batteries through it before selling it as a kit so that I could say 'its lasted 10 full batteries and still sounds sweet' before being able to say if its a success or not. I say 10 as seemingly everyone that's run theirs has issues by 10 full battery runs.

But if people are interested in this as a kit before its had any testing then yeah sure, I'm happy to sell them. Should be around £12 pounds max a set I'm thinking. That will be with all 4 pieces, the screws, washers and nuts. I could also offer carbon versions but the price is WAY higher. That'd be more like £35-40 a set based on the quotes I've had in. The ABS plastic versions should be rock solid as its what car bumpers are made from.

Totally understand if people want to wait until I've had chance to to test it all out though.

• Like 2