MadInventor

Mad Max Fury Road War Rig build

Hey what tires are the tires on the main rig youre working on? also what is the diameter? A link to them would be awesome :)

TIA, MUD

17 minutes ago, iluvmud said:

Hey what tires are the tires on the main rig youre working on? also what is the diameter? A link to them would be awesome :)

TIA, MUD

Here you go, rc4wd mil spec 2.2 tire (130mm diameter). Exact tread match for the original and within a few mm for scale size.

http://store.rc4wd.com/MIL-SPEC-ZXL-22-Tires_p_724.html

Some dismembered barbie dolls would look evil strapped to the side of that thing, and a smoking exhaust!

• Like 2

This is beyond cool. Can't wait to see the next installment!

I live

I die

I live again!

10 hours ago, Chilihook said:

This is beyond cool. Can't wait to see the next installment!

I live

I die

I live again!

I've just moved house so it might be a while........

Haven't posted any progress on this for ages, but managed to get a bit more done today:

img33435_122201764159_1.jpg

img33435_122201764159_2.jpg

Got the flanges to blend the rear of the trailer to front added on both sides, and got paint on this side.

• Like 8

As it looks like prices in the model shops are going up, pulled the trigger on a 6S speedo for the tractor unit today and a 2.4GHz radio, so should be able to give it a trial run on the full 2400Watts on the motor soon. Can't wait :D

• Like 1

Bit more done, Had to make the mask for the skull from a printed sheet of A4, so the result is a bit pants, but it'll do. Also got the front end painted so it all matches.

img33435_232017123033_1.jpg

img33435_232017123033_2.jpg

img33435_232017123033_3.jpg

• Like 6

On 02/02/2017 at 0:34 AM, MadInventor said:

Had to make the mask for the skull from a printed sheet of A4, so the result is a bit pants

I think it looks great. As with armour-modelling, the hand-painted look looks pretty convincing to me, something primeval about it. Are you going to weather it a bit? I reckon a light filter of 1% base-colour to 99% thinner over the top to make the contrast a bit less harsh and it'll be perfect.

4 hours ago, Fuijo said:

I think it looks great. As with armour-modelling, the hand-painted look looks pretty convincing to me, something primeval about it. Are you going to weather it a bit? I reckon a light filter of 1% base-colour to 99% thinner over the top to make the contrast a bit less harsh and it'll be perfect.

I'm just going to drive it on the some of chalk roads across Salisbury plain in the summer, that will cover it in fine powder, which will hopefully replicate the look in the film

• Like 1

Tried the tractor unit rolling chassis on it's own on 6S this evening. I think it's going to be way too fast, haven't got any numbers on speed yet but I think it's doing around 30mph. :wacko: Got to try and find a wide open space where I can open it up and do a good speed measurement, with tractor unit only, and with the trailer.

I can't remember if you said this before, but did you end up using a 2.4ghz Tx/Rx? Can you imagine this heavy beast running away at 30mph!

This build is awesome. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biz73 said:

I can't remember if you said this before, but did you end up using a 2.4ghz Tx/Rx? Can you imagine this heavy beast running away at 30mph!

This build is awesome. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I went 2.4GHz in the end. No control issues now thankfully. :)

Good deal. I had this image in my head of your next on board vid clip being of you running away as the truck as it was charging full speed at you and you're screaming "oh crap, radio interference!" ;)

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:13 AM, Biz73 said:

Good deal. I had this image in my head of your next on board vid clip being of you running away as the truck as it was charging full speed at you and you're screaming "oh crap, radio interference!" ;)

:lol:

A little bit more progress to show:

Receiver and ESC install. The ESC is massive (Compare against the size of the servo), but it is good for 6S :)

img33435_2152017112719_1.jpg

img33435_2152017112719_2.jpg

and I spent some time today making components (The horizontal tubes) for the front blade:

img33435_2152017112719_3.jpg

I made these from solid stainless steel rod, and they form the backbone of the blade. I'm going to try and make the vertical strakes from steel, but need to find some 3mm thick steel plate from somewhere.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2017 at 1:33 PM, MadInventor said:

Tried the tractor unit rolling chassis on it's own on 6S this evening. I think it's going to be way too fast, haven't got any numbers on speed yet but I think it's doing around 30mph. :wacko: Got to try and find a wide open space where I can open it up and do a good speed measurement, with tractor unit only, and with the trailer.

You should enter this in Jason1145's speed run thread!

Got some video of the truck today. 36kph tractor unit only, 32kph with the trailers on. Feels way too fast and unstable.:blink: The battery dumped after about a minute so I don't think they were anywhere near fully charged. I think I'm going to have to rebuild the gearbox with a much slower gear ratio.

• Like 8

That looks pretty cool trundling through like that... will look so much better with the front cab attached... just need some FAV's running either side of it for security convey detail.

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:13 PM, Jason1145 said:

That looks pretty cool trundling through like that... will look so much better with the front cab attached... just need some FAV's running either side of it for security convey detail.

Yeah, it's starting to get there now. This was the first time I took it out and returned without thinking, I've got to fix that, and that, and that's a problem, and that failed, etc. I kind of already knew about the gear ratios from previous runs,so I wasn't too disappointed with it. 'Just' got the bodywork to do on the tractor unit now :lol:

So, had a bit of extra work to do on the Rig this weekend. Took it out this week to figure out how fast I wanted it to go and settled on 28Km/h as a sensible and controllable top end. Then decided to give it a rip round a nearby BMX track and it took off over one of the jumps and one of the front shocks flew apart when it landed. I found the thread on the shock end had been stripped, so have made 2 more shock ends from aluminium:

img33435_35201712853_1.jpg

• Like 3

Have now painted the from axle assembly, and painted and fitted the aluminium shock ends.

img33435_3122017115119_1.jpg

img33435_3122017115119_2.jpg

img33435_3122017115119_3.jpg

I've also painted the chassis rails but no pics of those yet. Also got the gears from HPC for the speed reduction required, so now got to design a new gearbox to accommodate it.

• Like 2

Yes it sounds like it just took off from the BMX jump all by itself and had nothing to do with your throttle inputs! :)

It takes a strong constitution to not jump an RC when presented with any sort of incline, at least you came back with a stronger fix ;)