MadInventor

Mad Max Fury Road War Rig build

Got the plates for the front blade in today. I managed to braze in the first 2 plates, but then ran out of brazing rods. Went to B&Q for more, but the gas torch I bought off them last week didn't have enough heat to melt the brazing rods so ended sticking in the last 4 plates with copious quantities of waterproof super strength no nails.

img33435_520201794959_3.jpg

img33435_520201794959_4.jpg

Also got 9 of the remaining 10 ribs glued to the trailer:

img33435_520201794959_1.jpg

img33435_520201794959_2.jpg

Starting the search now for a 1/10 truck cab I can use for the basis for the war rig cab. Pumpkin shell didn't look too bad but it's too small. Any suggestions would be welcome :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Country Mike said:

Any good to you?

It's the right sort of shape, but the 1/16 scale is too small unfortunately.

Looks great! What is "waterproof super strength no nails"? Is it really strong enough to be compared to brazing? What do they put in the stuff? Sounds very useful!

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Looks great! What is "waterproof super strength no nails"? Is it really strong enough to be compared to brazing? What do they put in the stuff? Sounds very useful!

Selleys has rebranded to LiquidNails down this end of the world.

JB Weld is even tougher but longer cure. 

6 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I don't think it compares to brazing, but I'm hoping it should be strong enough for what I want to use it for. If they get knocked out, Plan B is to grind it off and see if I can get them TIG welded in instead

On 2017-5-20 at 11:32 PM, MadInventor said:

It's the right sort of shape, but the 1/16 scale is too small unfortunately.

What about the Bullhead?

3 hours ago, i_am_scarecrow said:

What about the Bullhead?

That's a good call actually, I had not thought of that. The proportions are not quite right looking at the windshield, but it's definitely the best idea so far apart from scratch building.

Whilst pondering what to do about the tractor unit bodywork, I decided to press on with a bit more detail work on the fuel pod ...

Added the mesh guard to the front of the pod:

img33435_5292017113004_1.jpg

and the turret ring for the harpoon gun and the flamethrower:

img33435_5292017113004_2.jpg

Made a pivoting base for mounting the flamethrower and harpoon gun. It sits in a brass bush and so can pivot easily without too much slop

img33435_5292017113004_3.jpg

And finally made a dummy harpoon gun, the pressure vessel at the end is made from 2 pieces of lego, the rest of it is steel and brass.

img33435_5292017113004_4.jpg

Got a bit of problem in that after watching the film closely, in some shots the flamethrower is mounted above the harpoon gun, in others it seems to be below it, so I'm not sure which way to go with it. At the moment I'm leaning towards the harpoon below the flamethrower, as that seems to be in most shots, and also the flamethrower is likely to be lighter than the harpoon gun. (Which is quite heavy for  a bit of non-functioning detail.

• Like 3

Got the flamethrower made. Didn't have much in the way of material to go on so used my imagination. Still got a bit more detail to add but I think it looks ok so far:

img33435_64201772223_1.jpg

Got the mounting plates made for the flamethrower and the harpoon gun. Ended up putting the harpoon gun on top.

img33435_64201772223_2.jpg

img33435_64201772223_3.jpg

• Like 8

How many times now have you 'had' to watch the new Mad Max film?

I should watch it again too but what with so much going on in currrent affairs at the moment I'm stuck on news channels :(

Do you ever get stumped with materials to use, like finding the flame thrower etc?

4 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

How many times now have you 'had' to watch the new Mad Max film?

I should watch it again too but what with so much going on in currrent affairs at the moment I'm stuck on news channels :(

Do you ever get stumped with materials to use, like finding the flame thrower etc?

Fortunately I can play it on the PC and have been able to take numerous screen shots for reference, but yes, I've had to go through it several times when I start on detail working on something.

With regard to materials, I'm very fortunate to have friends who give me a lot a of engineering materials gratis, so I have a wide selection of lumps of aluminium and steel, as well as lots of different sizes of steel / brass rods, etc. If I need materials and don't have them to hand, there is always Ebay (I bought the aluminium skin for the trailer from there). The brass parts of the flamethrower started out life just as plain round bar, and I machined in the slots and tapers, etc. Have done a bit more on it last night, so will hopefully be able to post another couple pics this evening.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

You are truly an amazing fabricator. This project is completely amazing. I wanted to share a much lesser project themed on the Mad Max movie.

http://robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/mad-mech-mad-maxs-peacemaker-inspired-tracked-vehicle

I wouldn't say that was a lesser project, just a smaller one. That guy made a great job of making a fibreglass body from scratch, much better than I could manage.

• Like 1

Ok enough back patting we want to see the next instalment please!

Pity there isn't a small enough lighter that could've been built around to make it into a miniature flame thrower.. but the work involved to make it remote controlled and the safety implications are huge... would've been pretty funny though.

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Ok enough back patting we want to see the next instalment please!

Pity there isn't a small enough lighter that could've been built around to make it into a miniature flame thrower.. but the work involved to make it remote controlled and the safety implications are huge... would've been pretty funny though.

I've been struggling to find the time and motivation recently, spent most of last weekend climbing on and off the roof of my house replacing the RF leads for the TV aerial and the satellite dish, and it feels like it's been about 40celcius in the workshop. I had problems with the mounts I made for the flamethrower and harpoon gun, so I'm in the process of rebuilding them, and I've decided to mount the flamethrower on top of the harpoon gun so I only have one pivot to worry about. I've also started on the front grill of the tractor unit, hopefully get some time on that on the weekend and have some progress to report on Sunday night. Also I really want to spend some time doing some more speed runs, I've got a hotshot, wild one, and GF-01 (3S)  I want to run, as well as trying the DF-02 again with a fresh 3S battery to see if I can squeeze it over 50mph with the existing setup (Just need to get the wind to blow in the right direction across the test area;) ).

• Like 1

Some quick pics of the changes to the armament for the fuel pod:

Fitted an old alloy I messed up for the trailer to wrap the harpoon cable round:

img33435_6232017115138_1.jpg

Mounted the flamethrower on top of the harpoon gun, added some dummy copper piping and  a sighting reticule

img33435_6232017115138_2.jpg

img33435_6232017115138_3.jpg

Warboys eye view:

img33435_6232017115138_4.jpg

Used some silicon cable to simulate the fuel feed pipe for the flamethrower:

img33435_6232017115138_5.jpg

• Like 4

Man some GI joe figure is going to get a crispy melted backside!

Awesome workmanship as usual, Martin! I always love watching you fabricate everything you need by hand, and leaving the bought stuff to a bare minimum. I havent even seen the movie yet but your war rig looks epic!

• Like 1

ok. This is not a request - it's a DO IT from the Forum Massive. When this is done - we need a video of the rig hitting a watermelon head on with wide open throttle!

Awesome - thanks for the update!

• Like 1

On 27/06/2017 at 9:00 PM, MadInventor said:

Got the front grille done, still got to paint and attach it though.

img33435_627201785743_1.jpg

img33435_627201785743_2.jpg

Attention to detail on this rig is beyond excellent, really enjoy seeing this come together

This looks absolutely awesome. I love the shot down the barrel of the flame thrower.

• Like 1

Made these:

img33435_725201793541_1.jpg

For these:

img33435_725201793541_2.jpg

To fit like this:

img33435_725201793541_3.jpg

To attach to this:

img33435_725201793541_4.jpg

Which looks like this:

img33435_725201793541_5.jpg

Also got the front grill painted. Next job is to move the battery trays further back as the space for the bonnet is still a little short, and the bulkheads are mounted to the front uprights of the battery trays. I've still got the tops of the air cleaners to make, then I can hopefully get the bonnet and side panels done fairly swiftly. I've got a couple of mock supercharger casings on the way from the states, so hopefully will the have the bonnet done by the time they arrive.

• Like 7

Started on the bodywork recently, got a few panels cut, some of bulkhead panels on, and a the bulkhead vents made:

img33435_814201794137_1.jpg

img33435_814201794137_2.jpg

• Like 2