MadInventor

Mad Max Fury Road War Rig build

Done some more work on the shell. Only placed on the truck but it gives a good idea of what it's going to look like. Decided after chopping the shell in half to reattach the front of roof to blend the shell into the roof of the cab. Going to put some metal mesh in where the holes for the windshield are.

SAM_0921.jpg

SAM_0923.jpg

SAM_0924.jpg

• Like 10

Great to see this (and you!) back again. It's really coming together now, can't wait for the next instalment!! 

• Thanks 1

I've been working on getting the exhausts done:

Bought some 10mm right angle copper pipe fittings and made a frame to mount them onto the truck:

SAM_0927.jpg

SAM_0928.jpg

Then bought some 10mm steel tube from B&Q and a Draper micro pipe bender from Ebay. it had a sticker on the benders saying 'Use on soft copper pipe only' which I chose to ignore. It managed fine bending the 10mm steel tube for the amount I needed it rounded by, then machined the ends off with the mill.

SAM_0936.jpg

These are just placed in position for the moment, I've still got to make the heat shields from some stainless steel mesh I found on ebay, and then the copper fittings will be wrapped in some fabric to emulate the heat shield wrap used on the full size machine.
SAM_0934.jpg

SAM_0935.jpg

The front of the shell snapped off during a trial fit, so I've bought another shell from Kamtec and will remake the rear shell again, this time without sawing the roof in half. In the background of this picture you can see another shell I've bought to chop up and fit to the front end of the trailer.

• Like 7

Got the heat shields done today. Made these from stainless steel mesh ordered from 'The Mesh Company' on Ebay, 1mm holes spaced 2mm apart. I think the listing listed the mesh as 1mm thick, mine was 0.5mm, just as well as I'd never have managed to bend stuff 1mm thick.

Looks good from the outside edge.

SAM_0938.jpg

Not so great on the inside edge:
SAM_0940.jpg

Front view.
SAM_0939.jpg

I'm very pleased with how these turned out, just got to add little bit of superglue to hold everything in place and they're done. The good thing about these is that they are functional pipes. One of my original ideas was to have a smoke generator made from the guts of an E-cigarette with a brushless ducted fan pushing air through it, connected to the throttle via a Y-lead, but that's fallen by the wayside at the moment. However it would be possible to connect up the exhausts at some point in the future and blow smoke out through them, and the air intakes on the front are also functional too.

• Like 12

Built a manifold to feed the exhausts, and have cut up a cotton rag into strips to make the exhausts wraps:

SAM_0942.jpg

SAM_0946.jpg

SAM_0944.jpg

• Like 13

Sorry, MadInventor!  I ran out of compliments when I got, "You cannot add any more reactions today!"  lol...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Juggular said:

Sorry, MadInventor!  I ran out of compliments when I got, "You cannot add any more reactions today!"  lol...

Thanks, I've never had 63 likes in 1 day before, I thought the forum software had a bug in it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You, sir, deserve more!  Not many people could top Tamiya, but you certainly did.  

I think he could top(ple) Tamiya if only he didn’t take 3 years to make one War Rig 😂 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I think he could top(ple) Tamiya if only he didn’t take 3 years to make one War Rig 😂 

I think the size and weight of the box might be an issue too. Boeing would have to make a cargo 747 with 8 engines to get a full load off the ground :)

• Haha 2

To be fair you did say at the beginning it would take you 3 years... so with just over 3 years now passing how far off might the end be? ( loaded question as this will never be finished.... as in, you can always come up with new ideas to tweak/re-do/add)

On 10/5/2018 at 2:17 PM, MadInventor said:

I'm very pleased with how these turned out, just got to add little bit of superglue to hold everything in place and they're done. The good thing about these is that they are functional pipes. One of my original ideas was to have a smoke generator made from the guts of an E-cigarette with a brushless ducted fan pushing air through it, connected to the throttle via a Y-lead, but that's fallen by the wayside at the moment. However it would be possible to connect up the exhausts at some point in the future and blow smoke out through them, and the air intakes on the front are also functional too.

I did this in my "Bump Steer" Lunch Box build thread:  https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/70134-speedys-bump-steer-lunch-box-build-thread/&page=3

Using an aquarium pump and a sealed chamber for the atomizers guarantees airflow and therefore smoke production.  White smoke is ok for a snorting bull, but the holy Grail would be black smoke for a true diesel effect.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I did this in my "Bump Steer" Lunch Box build thread:  https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/70134-speedys-bump-steer-lunch-box-build-thread/&page=3 

Using an aquarium pump and a sealed chamber for the atomizers guarantees airflow and therefore smoke production.  White smoke is ok for a snorting bull, but the holy Grail would be black smoke for a true diesel effect.

I've just had a look through this thread. Thanks for posting this, it's given me some really useful ideas. My main problem is the size of the exhaust pipes. The internal diameter of each exhaust outlet leaves me with just over 200mm2 of outlet to fill with smoke. First step is to get a friend with an E-Cig to blow into the exhaust manifold through a bit of silicon tube to see what the effect is like.

I'm thinking I'm going to need something with more pushing power than the fish tank pump. An 540 powered air compressor would introduce a lot of noise and vibration, so I was thinking about something like this to supply pressurised air, but I think it could be overkill:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-64mm-alloy-edf-4000kv-850w-4s-outrunner-version.html

You're right -- the two pipes on the front of my car have a total cross-sectional area of 25 mm^2; about 1/8 of what you have.

That EDF does seem like overkill, but for your model I imagine something different:  a box filled with crushed black chalk, a big port for that EDF and some filter material, and then some tubes running off to the exhaust pipes.  Trigger it at 80% throttle (or higher), and watch the black shoot out the pipes.  Of course you have to refill the chalk every so often, just like I have to watch the oil levels in my atomizers.  You could control how much 'soot' actually flows based on the size of the tubes coming from the box.

Note the EDF produces over a kg of thrust -- that seems like quite a lot of pressure to build up inside a box.  Maybe a cooling fan from a CPU or graphics card would be better?

I wonder if an atomizer could smoke real diesel? Then you would have authentic colour and smell.

Although on second thoughts, does the War Rig run on diesel? Or is it powered by guzzoline? (I know the real Tatra is diesel powered - I am thinking about movie canon.)

3 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

You're right -- the two pipes on the front of my car have a total cross-sectional area of 25 mm^2; about 1/8 of what you have.

That EDF does seem like overkill, but for your model I imagine something different:  a box filled with crushed black chalk, a big port for that EDF and some filter material, and then some tubes running off to the exhaust pipes.  Trigger it at 80% throttle (or higher), and watch the black shoot out the pipes.  Of course you have to refill the chalk every so often, just like I have to watch the oil levels in my atomizers.  You could control how much 'soot' actually flows based on the size of the tubes coming from the box.

Note the EDF produces over a kg of thrust -- that seems like quite a lot of pressure to build up inside a box.  Maybe a cooling fan from a CPU or graphics card would be better?

I was thinking that rather than have something operated from a switch, I would use a Y lead on the throttle and have a 2nd ESC running the EDF and the voltage to the E cigarette coil. That way at a standstill I'd get little or no smoke, but give it the beans and it will smoke proportionally. I think that the EDF will be overkill with 1KG of thrust, but I still like the idea of using one, I can't see a PC fan providing enough airflow, but I have got a few so it's something I can try. I got a friend with an E cig to blow some smoke through the exhaust manifold today, and the effect looked brilliant, so I have been encouraged to give this a go and try and make it work. 

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I wonder if an atomizer could smoke real diesel? Then you would have authentic colour and smell.

Although on second thoughts, does the War Rig run on diesel? Or is it powered by guzzoline? (I know the real Tatra is diesel powered - I am thinking about movie canon.)

I was wondering this as well, or maybe just tainting the cig fluid with a small amount to darken the smoke. I've also been looking at the dummy fuel tanks I fitted on the Rig, thinking, actually, If I put feed pipes on them and a sealed filler pipe I could use them to hold the fluid in too. 

There are lots of anomalies in the Rig in the film. For instance, if the engines are running through the superchargers on top of the engines, why do we see furiosa banging sand out of air cleaners on the side of the truck in the film ???

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Jason1145 said:

To be fair you did say at the beginning it would take you 3 years... so with just over 3 years now passing how far off might the end be? ( loaded question as this will never be finished.... as in, you can always come up with new ideas to tweak/re-do/add)

The end is nigh :)

I've added polycarbonate windows to the rear shell

SAM_1027.jpg

and the bodyshell to the front of the trailer:
SAM_1020.jpg

and it's been outside and had a brief run round and still goes ok.

SAM_1019.jpg

SAM_1015.jpg

There's still a couple of odd jobs to do, I've got a few more skulls to add when I get them 3d printed, and I need to add some extra mounting points for the bonnet, but other than that I'm calling this one done. I admit that there is still a lot of detail that could be added, but then it would drag on forever. I tried to make a rear seat out of foam and leather, which when wrapped round an aluminium plate looked good, but it wouldn't fit under the shell, so I have decided to omit it for the time being.

So it only remains for me to say a great thank you to all the people inside and outside the forum who have helped out with this build, you know who you are, and to thank the forum members who took time to look at this thread over 54000 times over the last 3 years, helping to keep me motivated to continue with the build despite the many balls ups I made along the way.

And lastly a picture of it with my other scratch builds:

SAM_1029---Copy.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

It would be great if there was a member out there that could weather paint the whole project for you...  "if anyone's listening"  :) 

Truly amazing truck, your time and patience is outstanding and your skills with metalwork awesome...  

I wonder what's next. ??????????????????

• Like 1

That is one bad-a$$ machine! Any chance you plan to get more running footage? The dirt will weather it nicely :D

Thanks for sharing this project, it has been an amazing thing to see.

• Like 1