MadInventor

Mad Max Fury Road War Rig build

Front swing axles and steering hubs done:

img33435_7292016120056_2.jpg

img33435_7292016120056_3.jpg

Still got to make mounts for the ball joint attachments for the steering, but pleased to have got these bits made.

• Like 3

The English language doesn't have enough words to properly express appreciation for this build!

Awesome, amazing, mind-blowing, spectacular - they all just seem a bit inadequate.

Yet again I'm blown away by (and envious of) your skills. Really enjoying this!!

• Like 1

Great to see this build progress and that fuel pod running.

I have the film to watch for the first time tonight :D

Had a maximum effort on this over the last few days. It now feels like an unfinished model, rather an assemblage  of parts:

img33435_88201661259_2.jpg

img33435_88201661259_3.jpg

img33435_88201661259_4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When you put this much effort into the chassis, I cannot wait to see the bodyshell! Loving every update.

Done some more over the last week, mostly sorting the step back from '2 steps forward and 1 back'. I found out that I had made the rear axles too wide, and so had to shorten them. This meant making shorter axle tubes for the rear end. Whilst I was doing that I was also able to drill and tap the axles for shock absorber mountings (2 per wheel at the back), and I also rounded off the mounting brackets for the axles, as well removing some of the excess metal from the rear subframe and painting it all. Today I made some dummy hubs for the rear wheels, these will be painted up matt black very shortly, but took the pictures in bare metal to highlight them against the black wheels.

Lightened brackets
img33435_8142016112051_1.jpg

Overall view of shorter axles, now in line with the front axles, ball joints are visible on the axles where the shocks will be attached:
img33435_8142016112051_2.jpg

Rounded off axle tube mounts:
img33435_8142016112051_3.jpg

Decorative wheel hubs:
img33435_8142016112051_5.jpg

img33435_8142016112051_6.jpg

img33435_8142016112051_4.jpg

• Like 6

Ok, two observations from me:

1) will you not use double wheels at rear end of the rig?

2) In Mad Max Fury Road the wheels had the spiked rims. Will you not use it?

Max

10 hours ago, kontemax said:

Ok, two observations from me:

1) will you not use double wheels at rear end of the rig?

2) In Mad Max Fury Road the wheels had the spiked rims. Will you not use it?

Max

1. No, the truck in the original film doesn't use doubles

2. I haven't decided about the spikes yet. I'd like to make it look close to the film as reasonable, and it would certainly be possible to add them, but I would probably want to make them out of metal which might make them a health and safety hazard.

4 hours ago, MadInventor said:

1. No, the truck in the original film doesn't use doubles

2. I haven't decided about the spikes yet. I'd like to make it look close to the film as reasonable, and it would certainly be possible to add them, but I would probably want to make them out of metal which might make them a health and safety hazard.

1) never noticed it so you are right.

2) you can do it with some ABS sheets.

Max

Done more today, got the steering servos fitted, and also made a start on an aluminium 5th wheel:

img33435_819201691154_1.jpg

img33435_819201691154_2.jpg

img33435_819201691154_3.jpg

• Like 2

Perhaps I am just being thick, but how are the steering servos going to connect to the front wheels to make them turn? Or is the sticky outy bit of the knuckle for the tierod to connect to still to be made?

12 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Perhaps I am just being thick, but how are the steering servos going to connect to the front wheels to make them turn? Or is the sticky outy bit of the knuckle for the tierod to connect to still to be made?

I've still got to make something to attach to the wheel hubs each side, but they are so large it's not going to be difficult. I may get away with grasshopper front spring mounts (The u shaped bits of pressed metal.)

Never used 3004's before, will they be up to the task? There must be some weight in the chassis by now!

7 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I've still got to make something to attach to the wheel hubs each side, but they are so large it's not going to be difficult. I may get away with grasshopper front spring mounts (The u shaped bits of pressed metal.)

As always, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

7 hours ago, Scouser said:

Never used 3004's before, will they be up to the task? There must be some weight in the chassis by now!

They're just a ballraced version of a 3003, which is pretty much a standard servo, and one of those works ok on a clod axle for me, which has much more surface area of tire to scrub on the ground when it turns (and I've got 2 servos on one axle here). Plus I'm planning on having the gearbox and motor mounted between the front and rear axle to try and take some of the weight off the front axle. (Although the steel blade on the front is going to weigh things down somewhat. Basically I'm just winging it as I go along :)

It's quite scary that you call this "winging it". I really do look forward to the updates on the build, it looks like it will be a stunning piece when finished. 

Graphical progress report:

Fifth wheel painted and a handle added to operate the release mechanism:

img33435_8222016122205_3.jpg

Made the front end profile for the main trailer, this will have a thin piece of sheet metal added over the top of it at a later stage:

img33435_8222016122205_4.jpg

img33435_8222016122205_5.jpg

Hitch for the fuel pod added to the main trailer:

img33435_827201690835_1.jpg

Added valve gear to both sides of the trailer chassis, just a little bit of detail:

img33435_827201690835_2.jpg

And the gears for the gearbox turned up today:

img33435_827201690835_3.jpg

img33435_827201690835_4.jpg

Not immediately obvious but visible in the pictures is the fact that I have now painted the trailer chassis rails, looks a lot better but the light was not good for a photo this evening.

• Like 3

Did you ever consider to use different materials like Delrin for example?

Max

4 hours ago, kontemax said:

Did you ever consider to use different materials like Delrin for example?

Max

The front of the trailer and the valve boxes were made from engineering plastic. I do like working with metal though as it's very precise for machining, and does not distort when being cut like plastic. I use mostly second hand cutters, some of which aren't the sharpest, which means it's easier to work in aluminium or steel.

For the gears though, I'm worried that even the steel gears may not be strong enough. To put it in perspective a 540SH has a power output of around 60-65Watts at 9.6V. The motor I am going to be using (Turnigy 5674 1050Kv, http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__17704__XK5674_1050KV_Brushless_Inrunner.html)  is rated at 2330Watts at 22.2V(6S), so roughly the power of 38 540 motors running at 9.6V. I'm definitely going to have to turn down the initial punch on the ESC .................

• Like 3