TrueBlue

Tamiya Hornet - Half a Restoration

** If you wish to see the photos in one place, here is a link to the album on Imgur - http://imgur.com/a/fNZKP **

Originally, I wasn't going to post this restoration/refurb on here, but I eventually decided otherwise.

Basically, I purchased a 1980s (1987 I think) Hornet from a seller on eBay, as a partial restoration project the guy never finished. I've been on the hunt for a Hornet restoration project for some time, and this one was just right,

The seller had already replaced the chassis, gearbox, wheels, tyres and servos with new ones. This was a shame in a way, as it meant I had less work to do, but on the flip side, it probably helped my wallet as well. He also included a brand new, un-painted body. The current body, which I've recently removed all the stickers, wasn't in a bad condition. Just a few cracks here and there, and a lot of paint chipping off.

Once the Hornet has been restored, I'll have a go at saving the old body, if I can.

Anyway, the car needed an speed controller to replace the mechanical one, a new receiver and a motor. Thankfully, I have a spare 17x2 motor I can use, and have recently purchased a new speed controller and receiver, which should be here soon. I've also purchased the paint for the body.

NcSuNqa.jpg

6K3ySA9.jpg

Mt1SzK4.jpg

g8lPlZv.jpg

Above photos show the chassis and the original bodyshell. Hopefully I can save that shell with a nice coat of paint on the inside and the outside. The spoiler couldn't be saved, but I have an idea how to obtain a new one. As mentioned, the old mechanical speed controller will get replaced with a new one. Once the new items arrive (hopefully by Monday) I'll upload some new photos, before starting the re-build and painting the new shell.

lfW3C33.jpg

9eKJQ5y.jpg

And these one show the new shell, ready for painting. I wanted to paint it Metallic Red, but the site I usually get my paints from had none in stock. I tried to get all the parts in one place, but that failed. So I opted for a different colour. You'll see once I upload the photo.

I'm sure this restoration.... I use the term loosely... won't be all that exciting, as most of the work was already done. So it'll most likely be a short one. Anyway... feel free to follow the build... or don't, I won't blame you :)

• Like 2

Looks like a good base to start with :)

Personally I prefer the look of them without the wing, I was gutted when I snapped mine off many years ago but wouldn't go back to it now!

Can't beat a Hornet for straight line speed fun! I recently completed the mod that locks the rear gearbox in place and stops the 'slap' when accelerating, it's worthwhile looking in to...

I like where you're headed to with this fantastic vintage specimen. I have mine in great conditions, just need a new body. I hope to get one sometime soon so I can enjoy the restoration just like you're doing with your Hornet.

Keep up the good work and share some pictures here when you can :)

Nice to see another Hornet being rescued. They are a lot of fun. Which reminds me - I really should drive mine more...

[...] I recently completed the mod that locks the rear gearbox in place and stops the 'slap' when accelerating, it's worthwhile looking in to...

The Search engine here isn't helping much. Why don't you share a link to it? Thanks ;)

Ian_Gsi16V - I admit, I do like the look of it without it's spoiler, but I've always had this thing about spoilers. To me, some cars just look naked without them. And a spoiler, whether it's functional or not, always makes it look a little nicer. If I mange to save the old shell, I may remove the spoiler form time to time before using it... see what it looks like. And also, please do share the gearbox lock mod, if you don't mind :)

mongoose1983 - Well then, I hope you manage to acquire a Hornet body soon. Never really done a restoration before (always been a nervous I'll completely mess it up). And no worries, I'll be posting pictures as I go :)

XV Pilot - I've always wanted to restore a Hornet, though I have no idea why I chose a Hornet in the first place. So I'm looking forward to finishing this off, so I can see just HOW fun they are!

The mod is discussed in a thread in General Discussion called 'Why does this work so well'

Cool, thanks. I actually came across that thread a few days ago. Looking at it, it looks like something I'll definitely have to try.

Incidentally, as I mentioned above, I have a Launcher AR 17x2t motor. I've recently read that maybe a 17t motor will too much for the Hornets gearbox, and that maybe a 20t motor will suffice. Does anyone have any other ideas? Or maybe what the best motor option is to use on the Hornet.

The mod is discussed in a thread in General Discussion called 'Why does this work so well'

What's wrong with the search engine or is it completely useless? When posting Why does this works so well to be search in the forums it takes you nowhere! Nothing against you Ian, but is the TC search engine working alright at all?

Incidentally, as I mentioned above, I have a Launcher AR 17x2t motor. I've recently read that maybe a 17t motor will too much for the Hornets gearbox, and that maybe a 20t motor will suffice. Does anyone have any other ideas? Or maybe what the best motor option is to use on the Hornet.

I don't think the Hornet gearbox will have any problems with that motor. The Hornet's must really be Tamiya's most resistant gearbox ever ;)

Indeed. The issue with a 17t motor isn't that it will hurt the gearbox, which is pretty darn tough, but rather that it will make the car too fast for its primitive suspension to cope with, and the resulting crashes will damage it.

One of my Hornets runs a Sport Tuned, the other runs a Dirt Tuned. Both give similar performance, and are plenty quick enough for the Hornet chassis.

• Like 1

What's wrong with the search engine or is it completely useless? When posting Why does this works so well to be search in the forums it takes you nowhere! Nothing against you Ian, but is the TC search engine working alright at all?

I don't think the Hornet gearbox will have any problems with that motor. The Hornet's must really be Tamiya's most resistant gearbox ever ;)

I have been posting from my mobile so couldn't copy and paste the link, on my computer now so here it is... http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70593

A very small and brief update.

The paint for the body and the speed controller showed up today, so that's two more item crossed off the list.

xtu3cxE.jpg

I couldn't decide what colour to paint the body. I currently have a TT-01 with several shells in red, silver, blue and yellow, so I didn't want another one of those colours. I considered metallic purple, but I have another body shell I'd like to paint that colour. In the end, I opted for a simple metallic green. Not sure how it will look once painted, but... hopefully it'll look nice enough.

enETVmn.jpg

And the speed controller. It's an Etronix Probe Plus ESC, for brushed motors, with a 14t limit. My motor is a 17t so that limit is fine.

wgPf4WA.jpg

aNQOf5f.jpg

UDOxcdK.jpg

I'll take some better photos of the ESC out of it's packaging once the time comes for me to start the build. I'm currently awaiting the delivery of a Futaba 40MHz receiver and a set of brand new assembled Tamiya Subaru Brat wheels. After that, all I need are the plastic Z-Parts which consist of the full floating torso apparition driver and the lights. Once the receiver arrives, I'll start the build. That SHOULD be either tomorrow or Wednesday.

So, more updates soon!!

Metallic green is a good choice. My cousin went for the same on his Hornet, and it suits it well. I don't have any photos unfortunately, but you might get a vague idea of how it'll look from the below photo of my Hornet, with its metallic green rear.

Buggy%20018_zpsgcjanarm.jpg

So as it turns out... Metallic Green looks really rather nice. Glad I went with that in the end. Can't wait to start the painting, and see what it looks like in real life, so to speak.

Although the red Hornet looks quite good, too! Not quite brave enough to go for a multi-coloured one though, haha.

Woo.... so the receiver finally arrived this morning. Just waiting on the Tamiya Subaru Brat wheels/tyres and then I need to get the plastic Z-Parts to complete the shell. Also just realized I still need to obtain an antenna tube, as I don't have one yet.

niqWihQ.jpg

t5fYxYF.jpg

Anyway, now that I have the most important parts needed to get it working, I can finally start building the thing, starting with the body shell, I think. Photos and updates as they come :)

• Like 1

OK, so i guess the "fun" can now commence. All the pieces are ready to be build and/or painted.

C2Rr4sj.jpg

Starting with the body. The windows have been masked off... they're so small it seems almost pointless to even do. I didn't like cutting out the masks, though. I'm used to just peeling them off.

taSd6XY.jpg

KsaiKUx.jpg

YL3mi4R.jpg

I've started painting it, but at the moment I've not taken any photos of it. I've also temporarily placed the components in the chassis, to see how everything will fit and to give a quick test to see if everything works... thankfully, it does :)

kidy9x5.jpg

yDUNgjZ.jpg

Unfortunately, the motor couldn't turn the wheels. The reason being that the 24T pinion gear is too big, and puts too much force between it at the gears, so all the motor does is squeal like it's in pain. After a bit of research, I found that the Hornet needs an 18T 32DP pinion gear. I promptly purchased one from ModelSport UK, hopefully it'll arrive soon, as I cannot fully assemble the car until I have it.

Anyhoo... more updates to follow!

Strictly speaking it needs a 18t 0.8 module pinion, but many people have successfully mixed 32DP and 0.8 module with no issues, so you should be fine. I take it you went for a steel pinion?

It does? Dang... er, so you think that the 32DP pinion will be fine, or will I need anything else in order to make it fit the gears without grinding? And yep, I went for a steel pinion.

If I do need that 18T 0.8 module pinion, might you know the best place to acquire one?

HPI make a 0.8 module 18t hard brass pinion to fit a 540 motor shaft, that would fit the Hornet nicely:

http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=MV22694

It looks to be discontinued in the UK, but would probably be available from abroad.

There is also this Carson one from Tamico in Germany:

http://tamico.de/Motor-Ritzel-18-Zaehne-Modul-08-Stahl

Tamiya themselves still make the original Hornet pinion, but it is soft alloy and probably best avoided for a regular runner. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge they don't make a steel equivalent - their 0.8 module 18t pinion doesn't fit the 540 motor shaft, having been designed for a glow engine, and their 0.8 module steel pinions for the 540-powered DT chassis have the wrong tooth count.

In my experience, mixing 32DP and 0.8 module makes for a slightly noisier gearbox, since 32DP equates to about 0.78 module - pretty close, but not a perfect match.

However I have not noted any significant extra wear to the spur gear as a result, so I reckon it is fine. I would rather run a 32DP steel pinion than a 0.8 module alloy one, as the rapid wear of the alloy pinion can and often does wreak havoc with the spur gear.

Hi mate. From the pictures you uploaded I can tell you need a servo saver. I don't need a crystal ball to see that with such powerful motor you'll be using one or more gears of that steering servo will soon be destroyed. Also, remember to clean thoroughly the shell before painting. In the pictures it doesn't seem to be ready. Hope you will upload some action pictures of your Hornet. These buggies are awesome! :)

Just so I don't end up making myself look like a tit, this is the one I purchased. Is it suitable (and IS it actually steel)?? I should have asked this first, just in case:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-18t-pinion-gear/rc-car-products/366437

Ah. That is an original Hornet one, a true 0.8 module despite Modelsport's erroneous labeling of 32DP, but made of soft alloy.

It will fit perfectly, but keep an eye out for wear if you run it regularly, and replace it if you see any change to the tooth profile as a worn pinion quickly damages the spur gear.

Also note that it doesn't come with a grub screw. You'll need a 3mm one.

Mongoose1983 - Ah, you are correct. Fortunately, I do have one. I actually took it off the servo to see how it would work with a normal servo horn. But I'll do as you suggest and reinstall the servo saver. I don't want to destroy any gears. I may replace the current servo saver with an aluminum one in the future, as well as a servo with metal gears, just to give it additional strength. I did clean the body a bit more after those photos were taken, so hopefully everything went fine. I haven't actually looked at the body since I applied the final coat. And hm-hm, I'll certainly do what I can about uploading some photos of the Hornet in action. I'll probably have my friend take photos :)

XV Pilot - It's an original, hm? With the soft alloy...? I'll keep an eye on it as I run it and replace when required. Once that happens, I'll try to replace it with a steel one the second time round.

Right, the metallic green paint has been applied to the body, and apart from needing to remove the masks and protective film, the body is done. Oh, I need to attach the spoiler as well to complete the look.

KfGiOHH.jpg

t7Kj6DT.jpg

All that dust and stuff you see is on the outside, so it'll all come off once the film has been removed. I'll take some photos of the body once that has been done. Also, arrived this morning is my set of new Tamiya Subaru Brat wheels and tyres. They just went right on... no fuss, no mess. They look kinda nice too.

emMdx81.jpg

FPDsA0X.jpg

koBOGPp.jpg

Just awaiting the arrival of the pinion gear, and then to get the plastic Z-Parts from somewhere. If anyone has the parts... the driver and lights... and are willing to sell them, let me know, I'll probably nab them off you.

• Like 2