Sign in to follow this  
Avante2001R

Which wheels? TRF801 Buggy

I recently bought a TRF801 from Speedy (great service btw) but I'm now beginning to build the car. I know proline so wheels but there seems a few versions and being new to these 1/8 cars would some be able to send me links to suitable wheel set and tyre set for this car?

Also any tips on which engine to go for would be handy.

I used Proline premounted 3.8 Badlands on mine, and they are awesome.

But any 17mm hex truggy wheel will work. I have the best experience with the ones from AKA and Proline.

Avante2001R has the buggy, not the truggy. Plopes' recommendation is good, or any other wheel with similar specs on the Tower site. Associated RC8, DE Racing Borrego, JConcepts Mono, OFNA Dish, Pro-Line Velocity V2, or Team Durango DEX408 wheels all have similar specs and work. I usually buy the OFNA dish wheels; they've been working fine for me and come six to a pack instead of four to a pack.

As long as the wheel has roughly 85mm+ mounting diameter, ~40mm width, 17mm hex, and no offset you should be fine.

When you said engine, did you mean nitro engine and pipe, or brushless motor and conversion kit?

• Like 1

My bad, but the buggy wheels/tires from both AKA and Proline are also great. Used to drive both brands on my MBX6e, and they did the job quite well.

Also any tips on which engine to go for would be handy.

It depends on what you will do with the car race or bash.

For racing i would say any O.S., Nova Rossi, Orion, RB, will work wonder. I would go for a smooth and stable 3 port engine.

For bashing and club race go for a Fastrax Enduro, is very stable and with a good power, enough for both the activities.

To race i generally use Orion or O.S. on mine but i did some races also with the Fastrax to test it and works wonder considering the price.

Look for the engine and pipe combo.

Bye

WWD

:)

Thanks guys. Speedy I mean nitro engine had loads of electric cars over the years and a TGX 1/8 was a venture into nitro engines and was a good experience.

I saw that LRP do an engine also for about £170 half the price of the OS one that tamiya recommends for the 801x. What's the difference in maintaining a race engine vs a bashing engine? Does the race one need more regular rebuilds?

Wheels now sorted for the V2 as per the link above. Need to find some grass tyres now.