Matt888

I think I may have sinned.

Well it is a Basher :) It is entirely your choice, if you want to keep the Sand Scorcher as a shelf queen then you do that, it's your model after-all.

• Like 1

I can't comment specifically on this car, but generally there are problems with one or more of the following problems:

- The parts are weak or brittle.

- The parts wear quickly.

- The parts are not easily available, or outside Europe (so you have to face customs sooner or later), or not even available at all.

- The sizes/dimensions are just a tad off from what leading manufacturers use, so you can't fit stronger parts from those cars easily (or at all).

- The electronics are of poor quality,

- The electronics are good, but not strong enough for the scale/size of car (so you'll burn your ESC the first time you hit some serious off-road work for example).

In all too many cases you hear people afterwards that the maintenance cost so much, they might just as well have bought a more expensive set so it would've held out. I know the story doesn't apply to all of such cars, but beware that the fun may not last if you spend more time fixing the car than driving it.

The bigger names of old have a reputation built up that they are not willing to risk with models that don't meet the demands of the customer. There's plenty to choose from, and if it'll be a runner anyway it might be worth tracking down a second hand example that's been run only a couple of times before the owner decided the hobby is not for him/her... :) Or maybe even a new model where the packaging was damaged in shipment - it can often save you a third off the usual retail price.

I agree with the above, but would still prefer to see the basher cartwheeling down the road instead of your scorcher

• Like 1

I think origineereclamebord hit the nail. The instant availability of spare parts and customer support where I live is what kept me with Tamiya over the years.

Too me it looks like a lot of cheap fun all the while it works, if you get a year or two out of it great.

I've got 3 Scorchers, 2 are too nice and too old to run enjoyably the other is a ReRe which breaks everytime I use it.

• Like 1

If you want a basher rally car, get a Tamiya TB01.

It is made out of the most solid materials known to mankind. The gearboxes can handle any brushless or brushes set up you want. and they have dust covers to keep most of the rubbish out.

You can choose from any Tamiya rally or Touring body that came with any of the TA01/2/3/4 TB01/2/3 XV01 chassis.

Basically they have no problems at all, let alone problems on problems.

You can pick nice ones off ebay for not a lot of cash.

Highly recommended.

I basically stay away from those no name brands even red cat racing they are cheaper at first but then they break down so much you end up spending more in the long run and get frustrated.

• Like 1

Matt888 will be changing his username to Matt666 in the near future to pay for his sin...

Just kidding of course. I have no experience with Hobbyking's Basher brand of vehicles. I did buy one of their go-kart kits once, and it was better than I expected. The driver figure and go-kart bodywork were nicely detailed. It was a handful to drive due to the solid rear axle, but it was fun overall. It was a good value for $35.

• Like 1

Cost and convenience, I runn all my cars some harder than others, traxxas is my real BASHER VEHICLE though as the just keep going hit after hit... and bif they break....parts are easy

• Like 1

The WR8 seems to have lit a fire under the cheapy manufacturers, though this seems to be more conventionally 1/8 scale

I wish we had better parts support for Traxxas here, I see more Tamiyas than Slashes in stores. Once there would be a good supply of spares and aftermarket hop ups, I'll definitely get a 2WD Slash for my enjoyment.

Since the Basher Rally is a rebranded TeamC GR8LE-RA, spares might not be an issue at all

• Like 2

I wish we had better parts support for Traxxas here, I see more Tamiyas than Slashes in stores. Once there would be a good supply of spares and aftermarket hop ups, I'll definitely get a 2WD Slash for my enjoyment.

Let me know when you're ready for a slash I have one I'm ready to part with...lol

Dont listen to the naysayers.

1) Its your money, your free time and your choice.

2) If everyone bought nothing but Tamiya the world would be a very VERY dull place.

3) ITS A BASHER people. Rag it, Bash it, break it and you havent smashed in your pride and joy or lost huge wads of money.

4) when its broke. Repair it if possible or strip it for parts and recall the good times.

Oh and for spares

http://www.rc-mod-shop.de/Team-C-GR8LE-RA_1

Yes.. I started the hobby with their cars... I have had 10 different ones and all were useless.. Breaking all the time .. I gave them all away and they still sit In their sheds..

But then I found tamiya.. 50 cars and 2 years later only ever broke a shock

Dont listen to the naysayers.

1) Its your money, your free time and your choice.

2) If everyone bought nothing but Tamiya the world would be a very VERY dull place.

3) ITS A BASHER people. Rag it, Bash it, break it and you havent smashed in your pride and joy or lost huge wads of money.

4) when its broke. Repair it if possible or strip it for parts and recall the good times.

Oh and for spares

http://www.rc-mod-shop.de/Team-C-GR8LE-RA_1

Thanks for that, the only reason I have bought it is because the Scorcher if I took it to the local bmx track I would come back with 100 different pieces and be absolutely devistated, my nephew has a hpi trophy buggy flux and he keeps on at me to race with him which I wouldn't dare do with the Scorcher.

The Basher is going to be exactly that, I can take it to the bmx track with my nephew and if it ski's off the first triple on its roof I'm not going to lose any sleep, I have got a TL01 chassis with Subaru body that I've never run, in time I'm going to get that running with some rally wheels and brushless motor.

Sadly the Sand Scorcher is too precious to me to destroy so it will probably only get beach outings.

I sin on a daily basis with this R/C obsession ,usually 10 hail mary's do the trick and I'm right for another week of sinning .

• Like 1

Dont buy a hobbyking car be warned..

They are made of cheese...

I can't stress this more

The Madbull with a brushless setup is pretty fun for a cheap basher..

Or Get a decent make like losi Traxxas hpi etc

Thanks for that, the only reason I have bought it is because the Scorcher if I took it to the local bmx track I would come back with 100 different pieces and be absolutely devistated, my nephew has a hpi trophy buggy flux and he keeps on at me to race with him which I wouldn't dare do with the Scorcher.

The Basher is going to be exactly that, I can take it to the bmx track with my nephew and if it ski's off the first triple on its roof I'm not going to lose any sleep, I have got a TL01 chassis with Subaru body that I've never run, in time I'm going to get that running with some rally wheels and brushless motor.

Sadly the Sand Scorcher is too precious to me to destroy so it will probably only get beach outings.

lol your nephew is ridiculous. There's no way a Scorcher could ever make a race with a trophy buggy flux even interesting. It'd be a nightmare just keeping it right side up at 1/8 brushless lipo buggy speeds.

lol your nephew is ridiculous. There's no way a Scorcher could ever make a race with a trophy buggy flux even interesting. It'd be a nightmare just keeping it right side up at 1/8 brushless lipo buggy speeds.

He only 7 and he keeps saying if he wins he gets to keep the Scorcher and if I win I keep the Flux lol.