Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

801XT Brushless!

I’ve had this truck since it was first released. I absolutely freaking love this thing. I originally ran it at revolution raceway in California, one of the tracks that the Tamiya Drivers developed it on!!!! I remember the first time I saw Lutz driving it while I was bashing around the track in my 3.3 Revo. The thing handled the triples and corners with aplomb, I had to have one.

Mine was originally fitted with a .28 LRP. That engine would rip, but I am not very good at tuning these things. So years of frustration finally won out. Prior to completion of the conversion the last time I drove the truck was summer of 2012 when my son was about 4 months old. I almost sold the truck a few times to fund other projects. Im glad I didn’t!!!! Ill keep it forever due to the bond I have with it and my little man.

The truck has the short arms from the performance package and associated hardware, aluminum chassis reinforcements, and the 801X buggy hub carriers as they give more caster. The truck is set up via Lutz’s set up guide and Tamiya USA article here. http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/trf801xt-building-tips-587?category_id=7&type=article

This set up provides a great starting point for any track, and is a blast bashing around the yard and street.

Current set up: Hitec metal gear steering servo, RC Products Design brushless conversion, 1/8 Sideways 2200kv castle brushless system, Durrango receiver box, proline wheels and tires for the street and back yard bashing, AYKs for track work, And a 4S LIpo

This set up ROCKS. The power is amazing, I love not having to tune the engine based on the weather. I would say that im hitting about 40MPH down my street, 6S would be way too crazy.

Up next I plan on trying to see what lossi, Durrango, etc parts fit. Tamiya has stopped support for these beasts, a shame!!!

pics arent working, ill fix in a bit

• Like 1

Nice car, shame Tamiya pulled the plug on this chassis.

I prefer a glow motor myself but I like to see the different ways these things have been converted to brushless power.

I cant wait to find the time to assemble my 801X & 801Xt, A very special chassis for sure.

Pictures please.

Some of us hoarded spare parts for this something fierce (myself included 801X in my case).

Until some radical design change in 1/8 buggy happens, this chassis is hard to beat and arguably a better design than about any other 1/8 buggy currently being offered. I know the XT is prone to lower control arm failures, but just about every Truggy is prone to breakage there. There is some folks on RCTech who have fitted other brand parts to solve the control arm problem. Check this thread for more info (may have to go back a few pages)

Post some photos when you get a chance! It is always fun to see what people have done with them.

• Mike

Some of us hoarded spare parts for this something fierce (myself included 801X in my case).

Until some radical design change in 1/8 buggy happens, this chassis is hard to beat and arguably a better design than about any other 1/8 buggy currently being offered. I know the XT is prone to lower control arm failures, but just about every Truggy is prone to breakage there. There is some folks on RCTech who have fitted other brand parts to solve the control arm problem. Check this thread for more info (may have to go back a few pages)

Post some photos when you get a chance! It is always fun to see what people have done with them.

• Mike

I never seem to hoard enough. The 801x range is pretty strong. I have the short arms and they are very durable. I have no need for short arms, Id like to get just one more set. Already have 2x of the long. I did bend a short drive shaft. But it doesn't affect performance. Here are two cell phone pictures. Im going to get a Bulldog body and paint it up. I have a new stock body Id like to get painted professionally, copy one of the TRF drivers for display. I love the brushless set up!!!!

IMG_20150718_204109960.jpg
IMG_20150718_204026854.jpg
  • Like 1

A better picture with the new proline wing on it.

IMG_20150721_210516132.jpg

Well I drove some shake down laps at Bad Lands in SC this weekend. WHAT A BLAST!!!! In the first post I forgot to mention that I added the light weight chassis and the buggy caster blocks. The caster blocks give more caster than the truggy blocks and increased turn in, the LW chassis is a little more flexible and adds to the handling fineness.

During my laps I was able to turn inside of some lossi buggies and trucks, The castle brushless with ONLY 4S power enabled me to clear the doubles and tripples with ease. I might go up a tooth or two because the strait isnt that long and I wasnt reaching top speed. I have my truck set up based on a Ryan Lutz set up sheet from 2010 ROAR race. The truck was HOOKED up all in all, a little loose on the tighter corners, Ill just soften the rear a little. What a blast!

Ill be ordering the castle link, trying to program the ESC with out it is a nightmare, the punch from a start is brutal, going up two gears will increase that issue.

Ill get more pics up if their is intrest.

Not sure why Tamiya cancelled this car. There is still a HUGE 1/8 following and they did well for the Tamiya name.

Great looking truck! I still love my XT truggy very much and also have an X buggy NIB waiting to be built. I agree it's a shame Tamiya discontinued this. Maybe it was pricing, maybe it was bad timing with the economy in general, maybe it was established reputation of other brands... Who knows? Regardless, these are great kits that represent Tamiya's quality and performance very well.