speedy_w_beans

Speedy's F103GT Nissan GTR LM Nismo Build Thread

I have some thoughts about doing another one of these bodies in the style of the Goteki 45 ship from the Wipeout series on Playstation. Blacking out the nose and bonnet of this car would make the perfect canvas for doing this paint scheme:

GOTEKI_07_1280.jpg

• Like 1

This is awesome. Love to see the detail built in. I like to detail, drive, race, and repeat.

Awesome thread! I'd also like to see if there has been more progress lately...

On a related note, I wanna ask if someone can give me precise measurements on this body? I'm asking because I recently purchased a Awesomatix A800 touring car and I'd like to have this body on it. I already know the wheelbase is correct (257 mm) but overall length, width and height (on the inside) would be great. I'd like to prevent buying the body and then having it not fit ;-)

• Like 1

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a year, maybe even a year and a half, since I last looked at this model!  Thanks for your interest.

Jason, I haven't printed the front grill or rear aero ducts yet.  In fact, I gave my 3D printer away in a barter/trade for something else unrelated to RC a few months ago.  I've been debating whether to build another 3D printer or just make these parts out of styrene.  My modeling skills aren't that great, though.  So we'll see.

werewolf, I'm happy to take measurements for you.  If you can give me a few days, I should be able to take measurements this weekend.

• Like 1

Why hasn't this been on the top speed list... because it's still not finished lol... ok maybe this year please Speedy... I hear they are rapid even on a silver can motor?? You any ideas of the speeds this thing is at stock and then with other gearing options? 

I know you need a flat run surface as they sit so low but do the tend to flip at high speeds or these type of shells give downforce keeping them planted? (LM shells?)

2 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

werewolf, I'm happy to take measurements for you.  If you can give me a few days, I should be able to take measurements this weekend.

Awesome Speedy, thanks!

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Why hasn't this been on the top speed list... because it's still not finished lol... ok maybe this year please Speedy... I hear they are rapid even on a silver can motor?? You any ideas of the speeds this thing is at stock and then with other gearing options? 

I know you need a flat run surface as they sit so low but do the tend to flip at high speeds or these type of shells give downforce keeping them planted? (LM shells?)

Well, I doubt I'll do a speed run with it -- there's too much invested in the body now with the extra vent cuts, exhaust pipes, rear wing trimming, and front/rear grills/aero (soon?).

A long time ago I ran an RJ Speed Sport 3.2 pan car with the kit NASCAR body, and around 50 mph it would get very loose and floaty.  That was with a 4200kV motor and about 3:1 gearing.  I'm not sure what to expect out the Nismo LM shell since I cut holes in it.  I just wanted something that looked more like the real car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Well, I doubt I'll do a speed run with it -- there's too much invested in the body now with the extra vent cuts, exhaust pipes, rear wing trimming, and front/rear grills/aero (soon?).

A long time ago I ran an RJ Speed Sport 3.2 pan car with the kit NASCAR body, and around 50 mph it would get very loose and floaty.  That was with a 4200kV motor and about 3:1 gearing.  I'm not sure what to expect out the Nismo LM shell since I cut holes in it.  I just wanted something that looked more like the real car.

yeah that shell you're putting together looks very nice, doesn't bear thinking about it sliding upside down at 50mph.

So Speedy can you please edumacate me on these F103GT's, are they based on the F103/F104 Formula 1 car chassis but the GT is different because : 

1) 257mm wheelbase

2) 12mm hex's on all 4 corners to accept touring car wheels.

I've also seen 2 excellent shells for these F103GT's, the first is your one ( Nissan GTR), the other is an Advan Courage? Have you seen it, with the double exposed cockpit, it looks awesome, can it still be bought do you know?

5 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

yeah that shell you're putting together looks very nice, doesn't bear thinking about it sliding upside down at 50mph.

So Speedy can you please edumacate me on these F103GT's, are they based on the F103/F104 Formula 1 car chassis but the GT is different because : 

1) 257mm wheelbase

2) 12mm hex's on all 4 corners to accept touring car wheels.

I've also seen 2 excellent shells for these F103GT's, the first is your one ( Nissan GTR), the other is an Advan Courage? Have you seen it, with the double exposed cockpit, it looks awesome, can it still be bought do you know?

In addition to the wheelbase and wheel hexes, the F103GT also has pivoting upper suspension arms - they provide a little bit of camber gain for the front tires.  3Racing makes some nice hopups, too, such as +2 mm offset hexes and diff parts to widen the track, and an adjustable front caster block.

Yes, I've seen the Advan Courage shell, but I haven't been able to find a source for it.  Who knows, maybe they'll re-release it some day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

There is a new, finished Advan shell (Tamiya sold them in two varieties: finished and unfinished) for sale on fleabay now from a guy in Germany. He will ship to almost anywhere in Europe, but of course I don't know where you are located Jason1145

Thanks Werewolf it's already quite expensive but looks great too! ;)

Good luck with the rest of the shell Speedy.

On 6/1/2017 at 0:29 PM, werewolf said:

Awesome Speedy, thanks!

Werewolf, I'm sorry I forgot about these measurements until this weekend.  Hopefully the following information will be helpful to you.

Length (using the front splitter as the origin):

• Front grill - 0.55"
  • Front of front wheel arch - 2.3"
  • Front axle stub - 3.6"
  • Rear of front wheel arch - 5.05"
  • Front of rear wheel arch - 12.3"
  • Rear axle stub - 13.7"
  • Rear of rear wheel arch - 15.15"
  • Total body length - 16.75"

IMG_2777.JPG

Width (using the front left fender as origin):

• Fender width, both sides, front and rear - 1.65" (top) - 1.85" (bottom)
  • Total width - 7.4"

IMG_2778.JPG

Elevation (using the counter top surface as origin):

• Front of the front splitter - 0.26"
  • Rear of the front splitter - 0.3"
  • Top of the front wheel arch - 2.8"
  • Front of the side rocker panel - 0.43"
  • Rear of the side rocker panel - 0.49"
  • Top of the rear wheel arch - 2.85"
  • Tail lights, outside corners - 0.65"
  • Tail lights, inside corners - 0.5"

IMG_2780.JPG

Elevation (continued):

• Front fender, over axle - 2.96"
  • Front bonnet / hood, back of tire - 2.55"
  • Front bonnet / hood, over axle - 2.46"
  • Front bonnet / hood, front of tire - 2.31"
  • Top of front grill - 1.4"
  • Rear fender, over axle - 3.16"
  • Middle, between cockpit and fender, rear of tire - 2.37"

IMG_2781.JPG

• Like 1

OMG, that is excellent! Thank you so much. I'm sure I'll be able to make an informed decision based on this information :-)

On 2017-6-1 at 11:33 AM, werewolf said:

I recently purchased a Awesomatix A800 touring car

I am so jealous right now. o.O

*ahem*

Anyway, back on-topic. I've been thinking about getting a 'normal' TC body shell on there and decimate some TC-times at our local tracks. How do they handle?

• Like 1

If you're asking how the F103GT handles, I wrote about it on page 1:

If you're asking how the Awesomatix handles, I'm sure it handles "awesome" but have no direct experience with one. :)

Really looking forward to seeing your progress on this!

You bought a second Nissan LM shell??

Speedy as this F103GT is a 190mm car, to fit a 200mm wide body leaves 10mm difference, 5mm per side.

I commonly see 3,6 and 9mm offset wheels so would it be a good idea to use, say 3mm offset wheels and then get the final 2mm width with this on the rear....

https://www.3racing-parts.com/tamiya-f103gt-chassis-aluminium-mm-offset-rear-wheel-adaptor-for-light-blue-color-3racing-f103gt32lb-p-10000915.html

and then this on the front?

https://www.3racing-parts.com/tamiya-f103gt-chassis-aluminium-2mm-offset-12mm-wheel-adaptor-for-3racing-f103gt23-p-10000905.html

If these parts are available now I'm not sure?

4 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

You bought a second Nissan LM shell??

Ha ha, yes!  Sure, the first one still needs to be finished, but this is something that has been in the back of my mind for awhile.  Just consider the low, sleek look of the shell with those bulging fenders and look at some of the ships from the series:

qirex___wipeout_hd___ps3_by_nocomplys.jp

goteki45___wipeout_hd___ps3_by_nocomplys

assegai.jpg

edcffe14653723cfcd4bdfcce879b472.jpg

As for the offset question, yeah, you can use those +2mm offset parts with +3mm offset wheels, or you could just use +6mm wheels and they'll work too.  The width of the tires/chassis is not quite as wide as the 190 mm body shell, so a little more offset won't hurt anything if you just use +6mm wheels with a 200mm shell.

Thanks Speedy, I'll look into some 6mm offset wheels as that's the easiest option :)

Sorry  I'm not a Wipeout fan... wish I had time for Computer games though! 

Speedy, Just been reading this through again, awesome thread detail, I think it shows up the mistake I made on my Step 13 as Nobbi and Svenb have pointed out... I can see your F13 part is fitted the correct way round, I didn't even notice it is slightly biased in favour of one direction... typical I put it on the wrong way round.

I now need to take my nemesis C Clips off arrggghhhhh

Yeah, I just looked over your thread and can see the F3 part is backwards.  No big deal; it's easy to fix.  Enjoy driving it; it's not a point-and-shoot car like a 4WD touring car.  You have to roll on the throttle coming out of turns.