speedy_w_beans

Speedy's F103GT Nissan GTR LM Nismo Build Thread

Thanks I'm waiting for a running video from you to show it off!

I can't wait to get it out on the road and test it out, thanks to your thread I just learnt how to adjust the ride height at the rear by using those different parts the rear axle runs through... Any idea how to raise the front ride height?

23 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

I can't wait to get it out on the road 

But not with that gorgeous (and rare?) shell??!! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Any idea how to raise the front ride height?

Three ideas; none of them are particularly easy or great:

- Mill out 1 mm pockets in the FRP chassis plate so F2 and T4 sit a little lower in the chassis plate.

- Mill off material from the bottom of F2 and T4 so the whole assembly sits closer to the chassis plate.

- Remove material from the bottom of each steering knuckle; add the same amount of spacers between the suspension springs and the lower C-clips.

Maybe do all three to get the best effect?  On the other hand, you might get the most ride height change just working with F2 and T4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

But not with that gorgeous (and rare?) shell??!! 

I agree with you!  I wouldn't risk scuffing that Advan Courage shell except in a gentle test run.  I'd put something else on the F103GT for regular running.

19 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Three ideas; none of them are particularly easy or great:

- Mill out 1 mm pockets in the FRP chassis plate so F2 and T4 sit a little lower in the chassis plate.

- Mill off material from the bottom of F2 and T4 so the whole assembly sits closer to the chassis plate.

- Remove material from the bottom of each steering knuckle; add the same amount of spacers between the suspension springs and the lower C-clips.

Maybe do all three to get the best effect?  On the other hand, you might get the most ride height change just working with F2 and T4.

Let me get a look at the chassis again and familiarise myself with those part numbers and try to visualise those effects ;p Thanks

On 2017-06-18 at 3:27 PM, Jason1145 said:

I have the 3racing wheel adapter but cant use it for a F104. Anyone need them? Message me for price.

20170919_192001.jpg

Old thread, new year!

It's been about 1-1/2 to almost 2 years since I last worked on this car.  With the holiday break I'm making the most of it and trying to make progress on old projects.  I built a new 3D printer recently to replace the one I gave away last year, and nothing was planned for today, so it was a great opportunity to model, print, and install a front grill on the GTR LM Nismo.

Here's the model:

F103GT%20GTR%20LM%20Nismo%20Front%20Gril

And the 3D printed part done in black PLA:

IMG_3000.JPG

I painted the leading edges of the grill silver per reference photos and used some servo tape to mount it under the front bumper.

IMG_3004.JPG

Not too shabby, eh?

Next up, the big aero ducts in the rear of the car...

• Like 5

All right!  I think I'm going to declare this model completely done!  It only took ~3 years to finish!

Rear aero parts modeled...

Nismo_Rear_Aero_Model.JPG

Front grill installed per before, but a nice natural daylight photo instead...

IMG_3083.JPG

Multiple details such as fender holes, front vents, and exhaust pipes per the real car...  Note the rear aero ducts too!

IMG_3085.JPG

Closer look at the rear end...

IMG_3082.JPG

Finally, it's all done!

• Like 9

Excellent work - it looks stunning! I only wish Nismo put this much work into the car instead of abandoning it after one race :(

• Like 1

Superb attention to detail. Brilliant work!

• Like 1

I might be able to ruin your day a little.  I bought some wheels that would coincidentally be a much better match than the Tamiya supplied ones on your kit too.

1:1 Nismo wheels:

nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo.JPG

And here's a photo I took of mine recently:

FFanvxv.jpg

Not much you can do about the lower profile tyres but the spoke design looks really similar.

Here's the link: http://www.rc-mst.com/product_info.php?class_sn=22&class_sn2=130&sn=3066

• Like 1

Looks great !!. And if you need a set of those Michelin tire decals Incan easily send you a set !! :)

James.

• Like 1

@InsaneJim69  PM sent!

@Blista  Thanks for the tip; you're right, the MST wheels are more accurate to the Nissan spoke design.  They're pretty reasonable, too, at $12 (w/ shipping) for a set of 4.  Unfortunately I glued the tires to the original wheels, but maybe I'll pick up a set for shelf display and keep the original set for driving.  Edit:  Just ordered a set off the auction site.

@speedy_w_beans  Beautiful build! Convinced me on this model over a f1 2012 f104! 

I really like your 3d printed parts, is it possible that you upload the cad models for the front/rear 3d parts here on the forum? 

now waiting for my own car on the post....

3 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@Krstec There isn't an upload area on this forum for files, but if you PM your email address I'll happily send them to you.

Many Thanks for the files! Got them, great with the stl files, checking them out for ordering on 3dhubs.com.  I intend it to be more of a basher/parking lot model but I typically end up always with building and never driving so can be no harm of getting some god looks to the model :-)

No problem; glad I could help.

The front grill mounts with two pieces of servo tape between the front splitter and the grill's bottom tab:

IMG_3129.JPG

The rear pieces are held together with four fasteners and then the assembly is held in place with servo tape.  For both the front and rear I'm using Parma tape, which I'm guessing is like a 3M VHB tape since it is way stronger than Tamiya's usual tape.  The red strips mount the sides; there's also tape to secure the tail lights.

IMG_3130.JPG

So get yourself some thin, but very strong tape and it should all stay in place pretty well.

• Like 2

Thanks! Yeah i love the VHB 3m tape, usefull for all :-) I have some kevlar cloth that i try to put in exposed places and skid places. 

However my local suplier after one week informed my that the supplier is out of stock (not suppried as the model is discontinued but more interesting as they claimed they haves two in local stock, sights:-( ) But some 2hour googling found me one in stock in Poland... 

I was extremely tempted to make it bruahless but read everywhere that for a novice driver it is overkill, so will be to get a mktronics brusched esc... I am also some into autonomous driving of rc cars, and for precision throttle controll brushed is still the “king”