Terz1

Maverick scout to Jeep Rubicon scaler(ish) build

The bungee cords do look quite convincing.

If you don't fancy making your own, premade ones are available from many supermarkets - they are sold as ponytail bungees, but are actually scale bungee cords. I found these in our local Tesco:

20140127_104934_zpsqol6fkal.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome stuff, how big are those hooks though? They look pretty big.

I can get away with looking for those at my local store as long as I take my daughter!

The hooks are quite big - bigger than those fitted to normal bungee cords, but a nice 1/10 scale equivalent to the "Bear Hooks" or "Masterlock Giant Hooks" that I used to use on my fullsize offroader.

For premade bungees with more conventional hooks, Yeah Racing sell these:

Yeah-Racing-Gummiband-mit-Haken-3-Paar-C

http://tamico.de/Yeah-Racing-Gummiband-mit-Haken-3-Paar-Crawler-Zubehoer-1-10_1

Xv those ones from tesco do look pretty good. The hooks do look big but could pass I reckon. I might have to keep an eye out for those.

I saw the Yeah racing ones. I think the pony tail bungees look just as good. Yeah racing had better watch out! :lol:

How about adding some license plates next? I think they add a nice little extra touch of realism to a scaler.

The ones on my Pajero were made by Impact Grafix, and are cut from high-quality vinyl.

20140616_215221_zpsylfgcdau.jpg

The ones on my Evoque were made by ARKA Stickers, and are printed with waterproof ink onto reflective vinyl, complete with badge.

DSC05058_zpsbqgwl3lg.jpg

The Impact Grafix ones are more hard wearing, while the ARKA ones are more realistic.

• Like 1

Loving this thread, shame I missed it from the start - I also have an Axial Scout that I bought as a budget crawler but I'd love it to be more of scaler without spending big bucks. That Jeep shell is a great fit and it looks awesome, I have a few good shells but the wheelbase is wrong for the Scout so I'll have to fabricate new links or modify the shells.

Will keep watching to see what else you come up with - subscribed :D

• Like 1

How about adding some license plates next? I think they add a nice little extra touch of realism to a scaler.

The ones on my Pajero were made by Impact Grafix, and are cut from high-quality vinyl.

20140616_215221_zpsylfgcdau.jpg

The ones on my Evoque were made by ARKA Stickers, and are printed with waterproof ink onto reflective vinyl, complete with badge.

DSC05058_zpsbqgwl3lg.jpg

The Impact Grafix ones are more hard wearing, while the ARKA ones are more realistic.

Xv those number plates look amazing! I was so caught up in which shovel and roof rack to buy I totally forgot about number plates! :rolleyes::lol: They will be bought. I'll chdck those companies out that you mentioned.

The Pajero and evoque look amazing.

Loving this thread, shame I missed it from the start - I also have an Axial Scout that I bought as a budget crawler but I'd love it to be more of scaler without spending big bucks. That Jeep shell is a great fit and it looks awesome, I have a few good shells but the wheelbase is wrong for the Scout so I'll have to fabricate new links or modify the shells.

Will keep watching to see what else you come up with - subscribed :D

Thanks Mad Ax. The scout is a great inexpensive crawler. Like you said it needs a big shell and after looking around the pro-line jeep wrangler rubicon was a good fit, plus I really wanted a jeep. If I remember correctly I think my clodbuster shell was a good fit too and I think some places do lexan clod shells which are cheaper than the hard shells.

I'll look out for your build thread. ;)

The lights are now fitted and I'm really pleased with how they have turned out. I've fit the Fastrax roof light bar and and a lighting control unit from ebay. I looked into the tamiya one which looks excellent but it only did static lighting and was over £40.

A member on here called IBIFTKH mentioned this one from facalhobby on ebay and I'm really pleased with it. It can run up to 12 LEDs and as well as having the static light setting there are multiple flashing modes too. It came with a variety of LED in 3mm and 5mm and in white, red, blue and orange and all with a good length of wire. It powers from a spare port in your receiver. All this for just over £7 too. :D

I put Fastrax light lense covers on the front headlights and the rear light clusters so the light gets dispersed like on the real thing. One thing I did find on the ebay kit light is that it gave a nice blue tint on the light which is very subtle and looked like the xenon headlights on modern cars. The expensive Fastrax roof light bar gave out a regular white light. I'm not sure if this subtle difference will come out in the YouTube I've done.

So here's the lighting set up on my jeep with static lighting and some of the different flashing modes that the unit can do. Like I've put at the start of the video, please don't watch if flashing lights cause you any problems such as photosensitive epilepsy. I don't want anybody collapsing. Thanks.

• Like 2

Video doesn't work for me, says it's private, you sure you linked the right video lol ;)

• Like 1

:lol: Its not that kind of video. Just checked, it was in private setting. Changed to public now. Hopefully people can see the lighting video above.

Lol,

Off topic Terz but I know you like them, Stadium Thunder under £70 at Tamico, special of the week. Crikey the pound has taken a hammering, 1.35 today, has been over 1.4 last few weeks!

• Like 1

I know I've been closely watching it, just hoping they might put it on special between now and next pay day!!

I need to finish the Bruiser first really. It's crazy, I've got 4 kits unstarted still to build and three to fully complete the fine details on. Just not enough free time!

I know I've been closely watching it, just hoping they might put it on special between now and next pay day!!

I need to finish the Bruiser first really. It's crazy, I've got 4 kits unstarted still to build and three to fully complete the fine details on. Just not enough free time!

I am holding out for a special on that too.

• Like 1