neverfollow

Tamiya ESC's

I'm struggling to work out what I need to buy to use my kit TEU101s with my 2.4g receivers - I understand I need some form of BEC but don't know where to start or how to wire it. Would be a shame to gradually phase them all out which is unfortunately what is happening now.

To use the TEU-101BK ESC with a non BEC receiver, all you need to do is fit/install a BEC between the small red JST plug on the TEU-101BK ESC, and the receiver..

I have TEU-101BK ESC's fitted to some of my 1/14 Trucks, and this is the BEC that I bought to use..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18789__5V_5A_UBEC_2_5S_Lipoly_7_2_21v_.html

It comes with bare wires on the input side, but as you can see, it has a normal servo plug to connect / plug into your receiver on the output.. To connect the BEC to the TEU-101BK ESC, all I did was to remove the small red JST plug from the output of the TEU-101BK ESC, and soldered the wires directly to the input wires on the BEC..

Alternatively you could buy some red JST sockets, and solder those to the input of the BEC, and then just plug the BEC directly into the red JST plug on the TEU-101BK ESC..

These are the red JST sockets you will need. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__46169__Female_JST_battery_pigtail_12cm_length_10pcs_bag_AU_Warehouse_.html

Just be aware that the BEC I posted is only 5 Volt output.. If you are wanting to get maximum speed from your servos, then you may want to look for one that has a 6 Volt output..

I agree with the on/off switch. The alternatives nearly never have a switch that will fit in the factory location. At times I've taken the switch from an older TEU to solder into my alternative esc. I just did so with an Axial esc for my Bruiser.

Now that's a good idea! I think my local Conrad Electronic has prewired switches in the right sizes available. For my brushless Mad Bull, I usually leave the small switch hanging in the chassis, but having a proper mounted switch would be neat.

However if I go that way, I will have to separate the 3 wires (it's a manual switch including a small setup button) to mount the setup button separately. Good thing this brushless ESC works with a setup card as well.