Sign in to follow this  
Ahrenkiel

Tamiya trucks - painting

Hi there!

I'm new in the RC-World and new in the Tamiya Club.

Just ordered a Scania R620 with Servonaut Electronics, a low-rev motor and modification parts for the steering gear .

I have made quite a few plastic truck models in scale 1/24, there all parts are to be painted, including frame, axles, suspensions and so on.

I would be pleased to get some advice in what to to best on my new truck. The cab is no problem, this must of course be painted. I will also paint fueltanks and fenders. But what about the rest. Should i leave it unpainted, like i have seen in many pictures?

Or what should i do with:

• The main frame
  • Axles, front and rear
  • Suspensions and other "moving parts" such as front steering gear, drive shafts

Regards

Johnny

Hi and a big welcome to tamiyaclub.

As a first time truck builder myself make sure you pay attention to the gearbox assembly.

In my oppinion you do what you want to with the paint as you have the pleasure of admiring it after its finished if you want it box art then you do that if you want your own design go that way don't worry what any one thinks about what you like except for yourself.

If as you say your new to rc then take your time and enjoy the build.

Good luck if you get stuck just ask and someone should be able to help.

Painting, or more so, how much or how little of the truck you paint is entirely up to you..

I have painted the chassis/frame, diffs, gearbox on some of my trucks, but others I have left in the original black anodising and bare plastic..

If you try and paint the chassis with the diffs attached, I have found it somewhat difficult to get adequate paint coverage on top of the diffs without getting runs, and I found it easiest to paint them in two parts.. I assemble the chassis with the front axle as one part, and then assemble the diffs complete with the springs and lower linkages as the second part.

Any ancillary parts like the gearbox, shocks, fuel tanks etc I paint separate from the chassis and diffs....

Some modellers will paint many of the components while they are still on the parts tree/sprue.. While this does make it somewhat easier to handle the parts when painting, just be aware that you will often get ugly unpainted sections from where the parts are later removed from the sprue that will most likely need to be "touched up" with paint once the final assembly is completed...

Oh, and one more thing... We would like to see pictures of your progress... ;-)

Hi again

Thanks for the answers.

I think i'll paint all the frame and suspension parts before assembly but off the sprues. It's guite a big job but i believe this will give the best result.

I'll try posting some pictures then i'm well under way.

Best regards

Johnny

• Like 1

Hi again

Well underway in my build, i thought i would post some pictures, but it seems difficult because the taken picture-files are to big. What do i do?

I started assembling and testing alle the electronics and after a few frustrations it all seems to work as desired.

So far i have painted most of the frame-parts and assemblied the frame and the modified front axle. The color is a very sharp red (RAL 3000) and i think it looks good. Next comes the rear axles and gearbox.

The cap, side panels and fenders are being painted metallic blue.

Regards

Johnny

Hi again

Well underway in my build, i thought i would post some pictures, but it seems difficult because the taken picture-files are to big. What do i do?

I started assembling and testing alle the electronics and after a few frustrations it all seems to work as desired.

So far i have painted most of the frame-parts and assemblied the frame and the modified front axle. The color is a very sharp red (RAL 3000) and i think it looks good. Next comes the rear axles and gearbox.

The cap, side panels and fenders are being painted metallic blue.

Regards

Johnny

Upload photos to photo bucket and post links here

• Like 1

I have just signed up on a flickr acount and uploaded some Pictures. Working on making a link to these.

We love pictures...

Personally I use Photobucket, but all of their advertising is becoming a pain..

We love pictures...Personally I use Photobucket, but all of their advertising is becoming a pain..

I was also getting annoyed with the Photobucket advertising spam, until I realised you can turn it off in Settings. Just go to Notifications under Preferences, and untick all the boxes. No more spam! :)

• Like 1

I have used normal plain spraypaint from Dupli-colar, including primer and also a clear coat for the body

• Like 1

How do you paint the logo Scania in front since no decal are supplied. Nice job on your Scania. Just waiting for mine from the post office.