I had this sand rover some years ago from a tc member and it came to me with this Mabuchi motor. Someone has an idea on what motor it is? I've never seen something like this on all my other tamiya cars. This car was originally equipped with a 380 motor so maybe this was an hop - up option from the early 80's?

wmS3hbF.jpg

DWj7k8Q.jpg

This is just a plain Mabuchi RS-540SH silvercan, the same that is supplied with most Tamiyas along with the Johnson 540J.

Although the sticker on yours is new to me.

The 540 size "silver can" motors that are supplied in many/most of our Tamiya kits are not so much designed just for the RC hobby market, but are instead commercially made/mass produced motors that are made to go into many different commercial applications like cordless battery drills, Various "Toys", battery operated kids ride on cars and bikes, small 12V automotive or battery operated vacuum cleaners, air compressors etc etc..

I would suggest that this motor is a Mabuchi motor that was bought from that "commercial" market, thus the fancy sticker..

That motor is probably from Kyosho. I have a few of them exactly like that removed from Kyosho Raider 2WD buggies that I've bought on eBay. They used to come with the Raider kits, ARRs or both.

Kyosho likely also sold them as a replacement motor too.

Edit: Old auction link to one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS-540SH-Motor-Kyosho-Raider-Ultima-Lazer-Optima-Mid-Outrage-Tracker-Pure-Ten-/251747175135

Even says it's from a NIB kit (doesn't say which, but it's Kyosho for sure).

• Like 1

That motor is probably from Kyosho. I have a few of them exactly like that removed from Kyosho Raider 2WD buggies that I've bought on eBay. They used to come with the Raider kits, ARRs or both.

Kyosho likely also sold them as a replacement motor too.

Edit: Old auction link to one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS-540SH-Motor-Kyosho-Raider-Ultima-Lazer-Optima-Mid-Outrage-Tracker-Pure-Ten-/251747175135

Even says it's from a NIB kit (doesn't say which, but it's Kyosho for sure).

Every day I learn something new, thanks mate!

Yup, those came with Kyosho cars, had them on my Mini and my Pureten Alpha EP rally car