Sign in to follow this  
marhun

Slow Down Lunchbox + ESC Question

Like numerous other Dads out there I have decided the time is right to dust off the only kids toys I kept from when I was little and give them to my 7 year old.

I own an original Lunchbox and Monster Beetle and have spent the last week or so servicing and repairing the Lunchbox for my son, the Monster Beetle is mine, way too much fun I can't stop smiling, runs first time after 25 years in the loft even with the original 1200mah battery, can't believe that took a charge.

Anyway on to my question, what is the cheapest way to slow down the lunchbox to a pedestrian speed till my son gets used to it, nothing more that a light jogging pace. I've saw things about 380 motors and also high turn motors but what would be a good cheap option to slow it down till he is up to speed driving it.

The lunchbox has an old 101 ESC but the Beetle still has an old manual ESC, i always loved that you could go from full throttle to full reverse without breaking, the Beetle always did a perfect 180. Is there an ESC out there that will do this or do they all have the 2 step brake and reverse function?

Motor, rc4wd has several high Turn motors and come cheap.

Other option run 6V in stead of 7.2

ESC the quicrun 1060 has instant F&R

One way to do it is to calibrate the high point of the ESC with the trim all the way forward, then crank it all the way back when calibrating the neutral and low points. The ESC will then think that only partial throttle is being applied even when your son has the stick/trigger in the full throttle position.

Another popular way to slow the car is to stick some sort of physical travel limiter on the throttle stick or trigger. This can usually be done with a piece of workshop or household scrap for no cost whatsoever.

If you don't mind spending a little money, you can pick up a super slow 80t motor locally for about 12 to 15 quid, or a lot less if you buy from the far East.

The Trident XT12 and XT20 ESCs have an instant reverse option, as do most ESCs designed for crawlers.

• Like 2

When I setup some cars for my young Niece and nephew to run, I just fitted them with 55 Turn crawler motors, rather than the 27 turn motors they came with.. The 55 turn motors slowed them down to a fast walking pace..

Your profile doesn't say where you are from, so I will assume the UK.. Here is a listing in the UK for the RC4WD 55 turn motors..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/540-Crawler-Brushed-Motor-by-RC4WD-CHOOSE-35-45-55-65-or-80T-Bullet-Connectors-/121197501808?var=&hash=item1c37ef1d70

Do you know what the Gearing is in the Lunchbox??

Maybe a different Pinion Gear on the motor might help too but I really like the Calibration Idea that XV Pilot mentioned.

I use my CR-01 when I am out Bushwalking and I'd like it to be slower, whilst I have the ability to lightly throttle the control it would still be nice to not have to be so careful with the throttle.

The flipside is though I do like having a bit of speed for jumps etc.......... as best as a CR-01 can manage that is...

I use my CR-01 when I am out Bushwalking and I'd like it to be slower, whilst I have the ability to lightly throttle the control it would still be nice to not have to be so careful with the throttle.The flipside is though I do like having a bit of speed for jumps etc.......... as best as a CR-01 can manage that is...

Sounds like you need a radio with exponential. You could set the radio to give you fine control at low speeds, without affecting access to full throttle at the extent of travel.

Ok so this isn't the cheapest way but it is the I phone age..Traxxas does a neat controller with an iPhone docking port the also do it now with just a blue tooth link. You set the percentage of throttle.training mode so to speak. With their brushless trucks being so fast they need something to help the people that are just starting out. I generally just set the esc to half speed for my boys the esc I use most on the brushed motor is a xl5 it has three settings. F and brake. F/r and the training mode which is f/r half speed this can be bought for 25$ so like £17.

I put a 80t in my Hornet with lunchbox wheels and it was perfect for my 5year old. A 50t in my DT-01 is great for him now.

Full forward to full reverse is fun until the gearbox strips and you need new parts. Old cogs may not be as strong as they were.

High turn motor is probably the quickest and a cheap option if you go for a budget item, it'll also extend your battery run times. To fit a 380 motor you'd also need the Grasshopper adaptor mount.

Ok. I admit it i am not a electronics whizz.

Whats wrong with wiring in a hoofing great resistor in line with the motor?

I ask as i have a some 200W - 1Kw rated resistors laying on my office desk (for some reason i am yet to fathom).

The resistor uses energy, which could otherwise be put to a better purpose, namely driving the vehicle. All of the other methods of slowing the vehicle suggested thus far would increase runtimes. The resistor would not.

Sounds like you need a radio with exponential. You could set the radio to give you fine control at low speeds, without affecting access to full throttle at the extent of travel.

My Radio does have fairly reasonable speed control I configured the ESC as per its instructions and seems to be Ok thus far.

Thanks all for the feedback,

backlash - I tried configuring the ESC but it is still pretty speedy, I will look at the high turn motors and go with that option for now. I can always sell them on afterward. You were right with the UK guess though, thanks for the link.

As for stripping the gears on the Monster Beetle, I figure if they are re-releasing it then what the heck, I can always get new parts.

A 35t motor will do just fine, should still be able to pop a wheelie but won't race off into the distance.

The LB uses a 10t brass pinion and spacer, if you go to a 55t motor, you will need to take out the spacer and get a new pinion or it will be way too slow.

I ended up getting a 45 turn from the eBay link above and it worked at treat with the esc configuration and my son is now bashing away quite happily. Now on to the monster beetle and try to get that going smoothly again.

• Like 2

Do you know the Gear Ratio of the L.B and the Diameter of your tyres I can give you an estimate of how fast a particular Turn Motor will make it travel

Nice post!

Just bought the RC4WD 80T version to adapt my Luchbox for my 3yrs old son.

Curious to see if is slow enough.... :)

WWD

:)

I stuck an 80 turn in my mad bull for my 6 year old ot still looks a bit quick for him. But we shall see.

I stuck an 80 turn in my mad bull for my 6 year old ot still looks a bit quick for him. But we shall see.

:unsure: This scare me..... He wants to drive and already have the "idea" of how sticks works but i need a really slow test car for him.

Will test it and limit the stick travel if needed. :)

Bye

WWD

I had an 80t in a hornet and have a 55t in a Madbull at the moment and my 5 year old is ok with it in the garden and open spaces. I have had three year olds driving it around fields with no issues. It is fast enough to be fun but it can fun in to a small child at full belt and not hurt.

Test drive done! The 80T on the Lunchbox has the perfect speed to avoid damages and let my 3 yrs old son try and grow his drive skills......

We are both happy now. :P

Bye

WWD

Test drive done! The 80T on the Lunchbox has the perfect speed to avoid damages and let my 3 yrs old son try and grow his drive skills......

We are both happy now. :P

Bye

WWD

Just a video needed to finish the thread off then :-)

This is really cool to read. I've a 4 year old nephew and a Pumpkin that could be ideal for him to join in with.

Will try to edit a short vid to give you an idea of how "fast" is a Lunchbox (Pumpkin...) with an 80T, but i can assure you is on the "safe side" and perfect for a first time experience.

Bye

WWD