JNSD1

JD's Tamiya Tundra build

Yeah unfortunately I was preying it was around the wrong way but alas it is not...

6D8AD8C5-9B15-4FC0-82C7-2B5DCA4E20CA_zps

I need to send images to Junfac and see what they say.

So is the consensus black tray?

I am also probably going to do the flares whit with black bolts...

Another vote for black bed here!

Just a nice bit of contrast to break up all the white. Matt or semi-gloss though, as it would be rubber or rubbery plastic on the real truck.

I'd do the flares black as well I reckon.

• Like 3

Another vote for black bed here!

Just a nice bit of contrast to break up all the white. Matt or semi-gloss though, as it would be rubber or rubbery plastic on the real truck.

I'd do the flares black as well I reckon.

I have matt black ready to go... The flares will have to see when they finally turn up from the postman (been two weeks already) as the reference vehicle I loved has the white flares and looks awesome.

step4.jpg

What possible reason would Junfac have to show those two original screws missing I wonder with the other screw in the seemingly redundant hole at the top??

Edit: bottom pic, can't seperate the pics!

I wondered that as well, but the mysteries still elude me... Really appreciate you guys having a think about it all [emoji106]

Well fair bit of progress this weekend, decided to go with your votes boys and paint the tray black, looks great, thanks for the nudge.

1F340712-25F3-45D1-91CB-6E2006F2ABF8_zps

D2241FA3-2694-4545-A27F-2B99A10E8E61_zps

The next challenge was to try to make the front lights look respectable, always planned on putting them into servo braid but forgot how fiddly it is to make it work and look respectable. Some good tricks I learned and also had to remember from the last time I used this stuff.

Firstly, had to cut the LED wires as they loop so there was always going to have to be some soldering. Then getting the wires through without the ends of the braid flaring out and becoming a total mess is the nect trick. I found after the first one that putting a bit of shrink tube over it as well before it's completely threaded helps a lot. Then you need to pinch it and push it forward like a snake eating a rodent!

A28BE65E-431F-402E-86B6-B26CDF09CF30_zps

C9C11204-9A1B-4CBA-8038-523010388CB7_zps

C09C1615-25D5-4D25-8304-2EF7B3527FD0_zps

EF883DF3-2736-487B-81AC-592CC436C1E5_zps

9BD01C54-F58F-45FB-9C3E-B0992E9E1C20_zps

Next fiddly bit was the roll bar and making it look clean. Double sided the braid down, looks as good as it can IMO.

51D8460D-9F2F-48ED-BBE1-9288F9E73605_zps

The next part was trying to configure the Tamiya TLU-01 and TLU-02 - which is basically like deciphering the Da Vinci Code.

21073388-BFC0-4265-BB4C-10FB3C7156A2_zps

The thing I am struggling to work out on it (if anyone has any experience) is that I have more lights than ports... what I did was wire the whole front LED bull bar spot lights together so they go into one port. However I am not confident that the right amount of voltage will get to now four instead of two lights... Any insights?

JD

• Like 1

If you are using the spot lights on the front bar, then you are going to need 2 TL-01's. I got away with just 1, but I'm using the Bruiser front bumper without any spot lights. All the wiring does get very messy, and makes servicing and opening/closing the bed a pain.

• Like 1

If you are using the spot lights on the front bar, then you are going to need 2 TL-01's. I got away with just 1, but I'm using the Bruiser front bumper without any spot lights. All the wiring does get very messy, and make servicing and opening/closing the bed a pain.

Do you know if combining the four LED's into the one port would effect the light output?

Must admit the black bed looks great, so guess you did right there.

Pulled the trigger yesterday morning, so looking forward to start my own now. Didn't buy the lights to begin with, as I was a bit lost, as I could see one TLU-01 wouldn't be enough. Please let me know if your system works with the right voltage. How many leds did you buy in the end, and is it the 3mm or 5 mm ones?

You have really done an amazing job on this one, hope mine will look just half as good.

• Like 1

I tried combining 2, and they did not work. My roll bar lights are combined, but I have them wired separately to a switch with a servo battery pack.

I used similar wire loom to tidy up the wiring [emoji106]

20eef752ee6687f2822c8b17b1609e60.jpg

I did have to lengthen many of the wires due to locating the TL02 in an easily accessible location.

• Like 2

God that's sensational, forgot how clean your build was :) That braid looks way better quality than mine...

That location is also way better, been scratching my head.. may go with that placement...

I guess I didn't really think it through with the TLU-01/02 situation as I have an eight channel stick control and wanted to be able to turn the lights on and off with the switches... Not sure what is required to make that happen...

I really didn't think mine through at first either, so don't feel so bad. This is the 3rd wiring configuration for it thus far. Every time I have to remove the body for servicing, the wiring becomes routed differently some how lol.

• Like 1

OK final update for the weekend... Pleased to say I did the painful electrics as couldn't stand not seeing her run...

666A9F52-7534-4621-B23D-DAF469DA2A2F_zps

Rookie error and melted some of the Tekin FXR button for the 'Mode' - had to pull it apart and get rid of the button altogether and use something to push it... rookie!

05E290E8-2217-4638-A2C7-4F5C7A8F7694_zps

Anyhow, looking better and getting closer. The wheels and body are the worst fit ever, can't really run the truck as is - certainly can't reverse it. Have emailed Junfac let's hope it's a common mistake...

Terrible images, but who doesn't like pics?

02EA0D46-C9E6-408B-A2F4-A82A81E8D04A_zps
240D6E5E-8158-4740-8005-436FB4D43487_zps
B8253DF2-13B5-4A22-AB9A-25F5EBCC2168_zps
  • Like 2

Love the way it looks, I think it came out great. And the black diff cover really makes the axle look 10x better!

I'd really like to know their response to the wheel base issue, please keep this thread posted [emoji106]

• Like 1

looks superb, i'm going to upgrade my Tundra with the Junfac kit but i will wait until the wheelbase issue at the front is sorted, love the black bed and white overall.

well done mate

• Like 1

Black bed looks superb as does the rest of the truck, great job, definately the way to go, nice one!! Diff covers look so much better in black too.

The whole truck looks awesome. I think with all the chrome now black, the roll bar light surrounds in black also would finish it off a treat imho!

Good luck with the Junfac issue, would also be interested in their response.

When you first decided to go with white I wasn't sure, but it's one of the nicest Tundra's I've seen really looks the part.

Cheers

Nito

• Like 1

So starting to apply decals and is it just me, or is the number plate ridiculously sized for the build?

Where it is supposed to be placed would not allow the tail gate to be lowered (unless I'm missing something?)

ec8ace82cbbe3effa69421a79833cb33.jpg

Also, I have filled in panel lines before with a black fine liner to add depth / detail but never on a white body. Anyone with any recommendations or experience with doing it on lighter bodies as it will really stand out and don't want it to look ridiculous. On real cars there is always a dark line in between panels from a shadow perspective but want to throw it out to the community.

Maybe one of the stickers from Tamiyas rally cars, would look better. I agree it looks a bit weird on the picture here.

+1, leave it off, cut it down or as above or indeed XVpilot has a good source for number plates.

Just make your own number plates ans size them however you want with a paint program

http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/

I used this website to make the ones for my Jeep

Cool! Sounds like a plan.

It seems strange to me that everything on this build is pretty scale and awesome but these are a massive fail!

Real one for reference:

FF-TT07-W1550-2.jpg?1382524931

I kind of like it with the white bed. Yes something doesn't look right with the frontwheels. Is it due to the larger wheels? Will they hit the body when you compress the shocks?

Actully I went through this whole post yesterday evening, and I am so tempted to pull the trigger on one of these. Awesome build you have made here.

Banzai does them at an awesome price....

What gets me is that the Tundra is sold as a 1/10 kit, when it actually is more of a 1/12 scale kit.