bsy2010

Re-Re Hotshot with a "few" updates

Even though I was very tempted back in 1985, I never owned an original Hotshot, but when I recently discovered Grahoo's Hotshot build (http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=65482&id=418) I wanted one badly.

I love putting 21st century materials, components and parts into older RCs and Grahoo's mods are in my opinion just pure perfection, especially since he managed to keep the typical Hotshot look.

So, while I was looking for a used Re-Re, my own build started in my head and I came up with the following plan

- replace the tiny chassis with something more accessible out of carbon fibre that holds shorty Lipo

- fix that aweful bump steer

- just like Grahoo, I want dual shocks, but not the Super Hotshot look

- increase wheelbase to today's standards, as I like the stability of modern buggies

- put some modern wheels and tires on

- find some universals and other bits and pieces for more stability and performance

- get some mild brushless power

Still without a car, I ordered a lot of parts from or for various Tamiya models, hoping that my plan will work out ;) We will see...

Anyway, eventually a barely used, but heavily greased Hotshot showed up, fully ball raced and with a hex conversion and 2.2" wheels and tires already done. The wing has been replaced as well, but I will need a new body set anyway.

IMG_1605_zpsmpw8xwfs.jpg

As I was prepared, the first mods were simple bolt on jobs, starting with the Radshape bumper, which looks so much cleaner than the huge standard item

IMG_1609_zpsohau9esl.jpg

IMG_1611_zpsapj7g33w.jpg

Equally easy to replace: the front knuckles. Since I found that blue is the color most aftermarket alloy parts have available, I chose the Yeah Racing knuckles for a TA-01/02.

IMG_1613_zpsvlwwb7yt.jpg

And while the front was taken apart, DF-02/03 universals got installed as well. Unfortunately, I was only able to find the Tamiya hop ups, which are 70mm and a bit too long. I might replace them later, if I find alternatives.

IMG_1649_zpshz9ba6v2.jpg

All installed

IMG_1650_zpsuqaqqok8.jpg

While waiting for more parts, I wanted to see if my ideas for the rear shock setup will work out and assembled the 60mm Yeah Racing shocks, build a temporary mount and started my version of a new push-rod system.

Using GPM rockers for a TA-06 (fitted 3x8x2,5 bearings), at least I was able to confirm that everything actually might work :) To my surprise, all parts bolt right on existing mount points, without measuring a single thing.

IMG_1652_zpsuj9mn7be.jpg

IMG_1657_zpsrvjyqsf6.jpg

At this stage, reviewing some of the pictures you see here, I noticed one big issue! Things got a bit too colourful for my taste.

Of course, Tamiyaclub saved the day and I found this great thread about dying plastic http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66964

After a pack of RIT Dye and a ruined fondue set, all red plastic parts are now a friendly black :)

IMG_1663_zpsr7ybnldq.jpg

IMG_1666_zpsntqomdk5.jpg

IMG_1667_zpszgwmyduz.jpg

So much better...

IMG_1668_zpsaqwcv9d2.jpg

Some of you might have noticed, that I had some blue plastic bits in the pot as well... Those are from a Boomerang suspension, as I wanted to have a bit more toe in in the rear.

IMG_1687_zpseinwij97.jpg

IMG_1686_zpsr7pbn9a9.jpg

IMG_1685_zpsrmh3w68t.jpg

Alright, this is where I am for now, after one week. Next steps are designing the new chassis, finish the push rods, and so much more... Progress will be a bit slower ;)

• Like 5

That looks stunning! The black-dyed parts and blue-anodized parts should give it a real TRF Hotshot effect!

• Like 1

Started to play around with a new chassis design, which provides enough room for the electronics, a shorty Lipo and also extends the wheelbase by 15 mm.

For the wheelbase increase, I used a Yeah Racing driveshaft for the TA-02

2ad40366921d9af7aca954134e636ff5.jpg

As I must have made a mistake with some measurements, the lower plate is a bit too short, so with the final version all electronics should have enough room...

d2dcd3fdbce5be9c71a824df138a1810.jpg

But at least the steering kit for a M-05 seems to do its job very well

7b105f1f283fdc075d59e229a6d574e8.jpg

• Like 2

Spotted this the other day, look's like something that could interest you :)

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

• Like 1

Beautiful work! I keep looking at my Hotshot on the shelf, and thinking along similar lines, but don't quite have the motivation. So I'll just watch your build with interest...

Fantastic work -- love the direction you're going, and definitely dying the red on one of my Hotshots.

Spotted this the other day, look's like something that could interest you :)

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Thanks, I have seen that as well and a friend did a similar, but very crude, mod in the 80s.

As I want a longer wheelbase this certainly won't work. And I'd like to do things the hard way and will try a double deck chassis without those side plates.

You car draw yourself the chassis and Fibre-Lyte can cut it for you in carbon fiber plates.

Max

You car draw yourself the chassis and Fibre-Lyte can cut it for you in carbon fiber plates.

Thanks Max, but I have a local guy doing that for me

Anyway, while the girlfriend was watching Criminal Minds, I wanted to get the rear suspension working.

The shock mounts had to be made a bit smaller, a quick and dirty push rod was built and to my surprise (again!) the setup was working perfectly

fc55f07bfb5697e66a0408d23492886e.jpg

538cb4b4e410f842466bc62c1e25c1ad.jpg

e6e75725535a426e1b92b36c48e3430f.jpg

The shocks go through their full travel and everything is moving smoothly. Just need to get nicer rod ends and some blue turnbuckle shafts

• Like 2

That looks stunning! The black-dyed parts and blue-anodized parts should give it a real TRF Hotshot effect!

You just gave me the silly idea of creating a 3D TRF badge, to replace the front stabilizer mount... [emoji12]

6cba71293f499ef5a5ffb1655cebf586.jpg

• Like 1

My second 3D printed part arrived from Shapeways today, as I wanted to have fully adjustable geometry.

072128e083f8863b24d1cfcf90038a38.jpg

104cf9b7dc548e2e735cc8fc966cb70f.jpg

fa47f95f665d2f4b6a935176f9629183.jpg

3fd8ab56fb3bbaa6dab833989c7fba82.jpg

Works pretty good, only minor adjustments are necessary in the design. Ans of course, it needs to be black :)

• Like 3

Seeing this makes me want to buy one... <_<. Love the look. The blue is cool but I wonder how it looks like if those parts were black as wel. Any ideas yet for the body?

Wow! What an unique build - love your ideas! :wub:

Question: Your 3D CAD work - are they accessible for order by the public on Shapeways?

Wow! What an unique build - love your ideas! :wub:

Question: Your 3D CAD work - are they accessible for order by the public on Shapeways?

Thank you :)

Lots of ideas, very little time...

And, yes, the stuff is available on Shapeways (see link below, thank you @Finman) and this is how it looks in black (on a Hotshot, I needed an additional spacer, not too sure how it'll fit on a Boomerang)

0f57e20e0fce46759dcf9d0c69d176fe.jpg

5ed9c24c0da2ec273fec7b9c43702e2e.jpg

Great, I'll have to try those!

Maybe you should add "Hotshot" to the description on Shapeaways?

I started to learn CAD, but I don't seem to have enough drive to get further... real shame, it's gotta be so satisfying do design your own stuff! B)

I just got into the 3D world myself and it was tough in the beginning... But very satisfying to see some progress now :)

I thought about adding the Hotshot info, but I have converted the rear suspension to Boomerang parts and the Shapeways parts might not fit the standard Hotshot.

Ah, OK - so it fits the Boomerang suspension - with shims added?

No worries, I was anyway planning to put on Boomer arms in order to get some rear toe-in. But it's only like .5 degrees isn't it?

What CAD program do you use? SolidWorks?

Ah, OK - so it fits the Boomerang suspension - with shims added?

No worries, I was anyway planning to put on Boomer arms in order to get some rear toe-in. But it's only like .5 degrees isn't it?

What CAD program do you use? SolidWorks?

Correct, I basically copied the upper arm of the Boomerang in 3D. Maybe I can check whether is fits the original outshot setup as well.

I believe the toe-in of the Boomerang arms is 1 degree, but this is just what I have seen in this forum somewhere.

I started with Sketchup, moved to 123D Design and once I have some time to install a virtual Windows on my Mac, I fire up my Solid Works license - a friend used to work for one of their resellers and should be able to help me getting started.

Thx! I started learning Sketchup. But I think I'll go with SolidWorks if I can find the energy again :lol:

Another awesome 'shot modification thread. Between you and SHY69 we're doing really well on these cars. Tempted to have a dabble myself. Except my engineering knowledge stops at switching a computer on...

Keep it up!

Thank you, Silver-Can :)

I certainly follow SHY69's threads as well, but unlike him, I have no intention to compete with my cars - I might not even drive them at all ;) I just love building, keeps me from going nuts after a 70 hour week