hopperSr

Childhood Grasshopper Restoration

New member here, I love this site; sounds like a lot of good people! I wanted to start a thread to chronicle the restoration of my childhood Grasshopper that I built with my Grandfather some ~30 years ago. Also, this thread should keep me honest and moving to complete the process! Thoughts and advice are appreciated along the way.

Well, here she is, in all her glory. The last time I checked (~15 years ago?), it was in running condition:

IMG_0741_zpsiueugl8n.jpg

No bumper, bad paint job, wheels, etc.

Rear end:

IMG_0742_zpsz50rcoiq.jpg

Some huge oil filled shocks that don't really fit and a large gap between the motor and gearbox!

Close up of the above atrocities:

IMG_0743_zpsivuzi6xe.jpg

The burn marks are from taping fireworks (Ground Bloom Flowers) to the body for a moving fireworks display.

Inside:

IMG_0744_zpstgnd0utn.jpg

Receiver/transmitter still works - as I gave it to my son for his Re-Release Grasshopper we built last week. :D

Box contents:

IMG_0745_zpsripjrh7d.jpg

Extra body, manual, original tires, spares, tools, etc.

Motors:

IMG_0746_zpsnbzhz3ak.jpg

For some reason I have 2 RS380 motors. One is a Mabuchi, the other is a Johnson.

The goal is to restore this to near original or re-release spec. I am ok with using re-release parts and of course stickers. It would be nice to have the original stickers, but I'm going to be running this with my son.

For comparison, my son's re-release:

DSC_2051_zpsistrwrpe.jpg

We were on vacation when we finished it, so we didn't have a chance to paint the bars/driver/etc. My younger son (5) is not yet ready for a Grasshopper, but we've already planned to have 3 of them, all with different numbers. :)

Thanks for viewing.

• Like 4

Awesome! Lots of fun. Can't wait to get my boys working on these. Just a bit young yet.

Parts are pretty easy to come by on ebay of course, but let me know I have a lot of old grasshopper parts. I even have a partially built vintage Grasshopper, with the decals, body and all.

Keep us posted!

I just rebuilt my 30yo Frog with the hopes my own 5yo son will one day drive it... Fun project!

Terry

Nice man! Yeah I let the 5 year old give it a go in the driveway... bad idea lol. Gotta find a HUGE parking lot.

I actually started wrapping a rubber band around the trigger so he cannot go full throttle. Helps a ton!

• Like 1

Awesome! Lots of fun. Can't wait to get my boys working on these. Just a bit young yet.

Parts are pretty easy to come by on ebay of course, but let me know I have a lot of old grasshopper parts. I even have a partially built vintage Grasshopper, with the decals, body and all.

Keep us posted!

Thanks! I'm about ready to order my "B-parts" for the gearbox that I cut into to fit that monster 540 can, a bumper, and some miscellaneous parts bags for the shocks.

I just rebuilt my 30yo Frog with the hopes my own 5yo son will one day drive it... Fun project!

Terry

Soooo fun!

Nice man! Yeah I let the 5 year old give it a go in the driveway... bad idea lol. Gotta find a HUGE parking lot.

I actually started wrapping a rubber band around the trigger so he cannot go full throttle. Helps a ton!

Agreed. Good tip on the throttle too. I'm thinking when my youngest turns 6, he might be able to handle it - but with a 6V battery pack.

• Like 1

HopperSr,

Welcome aboard! I JUST finished my Grasshopper restoration tonight with applying vintage decals (It's in the "What did you do today" thread in General discussions). I was very fortunate to keep mine nearly 100% original and just replace the rear tires and rear springs; I kept most of the chassis patina as I felt it important. Here's my post: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37651&p=599609

Keep us updated and can't wait to see the progress!

- Blake

Great story, and also a GREAT R/C car the Grasshopper to gather different generations into one same passion!

I love to hear stories like these. Oh, and I'm excited about the restoration project -I am nowadays working on my own Grasshopper buggy. Just last Friday a buddy here took the Hopper body to his place to try and completely remove the paint with caustic soda. Once that is done I'll resume my work.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures! I'll be happy to see any updates.

You all have a great week! :)

• Like 1

Wow! That's excellent! How come just the rear tires and rear springs?

I kept the patina of the chassis and gearbox. Even though a little worn, those pieces were original. Kind of like tossing a 67 fastback on a new frame ;)

• Like 1

Great story, and also a GREAT R/C car the Grasshopper to gather different generations into one same passion!

I love to hear stories like these. Oh, and I'm excited about the restoration project -I am nowadays working on my own Grasshopper buggy. Just last Friday a buddy here took the Hopper body to his place to try and completely remove the paint with caustic soda. Once that is done I'll resume my work.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures! I'll be happy to see any updates.

You all have a great week! :)

I might have to get with you later as I will need to take off the paint from mine too. :)

I kept the patina of the chassis and gearbox. Even though a little worn, those pieces were original. Kind of like tossing a 67 fastback on a new frame ;)

Oh yes, I meant - why couldn't you do original rear tires/springs?

Tonight I went ahead and disassembled the gearbox. I figured, if that's the first step in building, then I should probably start there!

Gearbox:

image_zpsuoai3udi.jpg

You can see the section I cut out to the left of the mounting hole to make the 540 motor fit.

Opened up:

image_zpsjfclmvzi.jpg

Bone dry as expected.

This thing. I remember buying it and explaining exactly what I had to the salesperson (Grasshopper, 380 motor, etc.)...when I got it home, it did not fit. So I made it per above pics.

image_zpsaw6c3itr.jpg

I cleaned everything up with a mix of Simple Green and water - let it soak for 15 minutes or so and went to town with my 30 year old toothbrush that was in the box!

image_zpsuxrsag42.jpg

I scrubbed them and put them in the clean water dish you see in the picture and scrubbed them once more in the clean water.

The "counter gear" on the right (with bushing and bearing above and pin to the left) is worn/chewed up pretty well so I think I will get a new one of those. Let's just say the pinion gear probably didn't line up too well. It's also a different color than the rest and the pin does not fit tightly in the bushing any longer, nor did it clean up well.

I don't have a good way of getting the bearings out of the gearbox axles other than using a flathead screwdriver and punching them out - but I think this damaged the one I did. Any suggestions?

I use a Phillips head screw driver that fits through the bearing snug, then I move the handle in a circle motion that wiggles the bearing out of its housing gently :)

That is an interesting approach you took to mounting the 540 motor back in the day. I don't think I have ever seen that done before!

Are you going to try to replicate it during the restoration, or go for a conventional mounting with a 18t 0.8 module pinion?

Heh! I think I'm going to hook up that Mabuchi 380, for a while. :ph34r: My son's re-re is plenty fast compared to what I remembered. I also have an RC10T that I'm bashing around with my son to get me by.

Sorry, been busy at the local track with my son! I've ordered some new parts and will post an update soon.

"The Triple" (or single for us).

DSC_2141_zpsnprmpr7m.jpg

Who says the front suspension is no good?

DSC_2142_zpsnfyau96f.jpg

My little marshal.

DSC_2146_zpsr6bixzuq.jpg

DSC_2166_zpsomxyh0ai.jpg

• Like 9

AWESOME! I have always wanted one of these! - I suggest upgrading to ball bearings, instead of running the stock bushings, a robinson racing steel pinion, and buy a new gear box and run the 540 motor spacer.. they're cheap enough and worth it.. Be careful with the vintage radio they're getting harder to find in working condition!

I second the suggestion of bearings and a new set of gearbox mouldings, but personally I would forego the motor spacer and mount the 540 motor Hornet style, with just the heat/dust shield and an 18 tooth steel pinion.

Agreed, definitely getting a new gearbox. When I ordered on ebay, the listing for the gearbox sold out a day before (it was only $4)! I installed bearings years ago. :) Just not the smaller one in the counter (spur?) gear. Though since I damaged one or two getting them out, I might just get a whole set; they are around $12 here in the states and I could have a few spares on hand for my son also.

Ok, now I'm confused about the 540. Does the Tamiya 540-J and the Tamiya 540 Sport Tuned fit directly or do you need an adapter or heat/dust shield? I know you need it with the 380...

Ok, now I'm confused about the 540. Does the Tamiya 540-J and the Tamiya 540 Sport Tuned fit directly or do you need an adapter or heat/dust shield? I know you need it with the 380...

You won't need any type of adapter if you're using a 540 motor, just a different pinion ;)

Now, if the Grasshopper was mine, I know a 540 is too much for it and run times doesn't last as much as with the old, trusty 380.

The Hornet and Grasshopper share the same gearbox, but are supplied with different motors and pinions. As such, they fit the gearbox differently.

The Hornet uses a 540 motor as standard, which mounts directly to the gearbox with a pair of 27mm bolts that go straight into the motor with no adapter. Some people (myself included) run one of the thin Tamiya cardboard heat/dust shields between the motor and gearbox, but this is optional and not part of a stock build.

Due to the extra power from the bigger motor, the Hornet can run taller gearing, and comes with a big 18t 0.8 module alloy pinion. The alloy is light but quite soft, so people who intend to run their Hornets regularly often upgrade to a harder steel pinion instead. Carson make one that is a direct swap.

The Grasshopper on the other hand comes with a tiny little 380 motor that would have a hard time turning the tall gearing used by its faster sibling, so it is supplied with a smaller brass pinion which lowers the gearing and makes the motor's life easier.

In order that the pinion can mesh with the spur, the motor has to be mounted closer to the spur, hence the use of the adapter. The adapter also allows for the narrower spacing between the mounting holes on the smaller motor.

Another Tamiya chassis that uses this gearbox is the one you'll find under the Lunch Box/Midnight Pumpkin. Even though these models come with a 540 motor, they need lower gearing to accommodate their bigger tyres and to make them able to accelerate rapidly enough to wheelie. They are therefore supplied with a smaller pinion, and an adapter (a lot thicker than the Grasshopper one) to allow it to mesh with the spur. The Lunch Box pinion is quite long, to allow for the thickness of the adapter.

It looks like whoever sold you the upgrade motor back in the day sold you a Lunch Box pinion rather than a Hornet one, but didn't sell you the adapter required to make it fit the gearbox, hence the need for your interesting modifications. Had they sold you a Lunch Box motor adapter, or even better, a Hornet pinion, everything would have bolted together beautifully with no modifications required.

If you'd like to know more about the similarities and differences between the Grasshopper, Hornet and Lunch Box motor mounting methods, Tamiya have the manuals for the respective models available for free download here:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

• Like 2

You won't need any type of adapter if you're using a 540 motor, just a different pinion ;)

Now, if the Grasshopper was mine, I know a 540 is too much for it and run times doesn't last as much as with the old, trusty 380.

I hear ya. I'd like to go with the 380 first. :) My son's re-re goes for over an hour on a 3000mah.

It looks like whoever sold you the upgrade motor back in the day sold you a Lunch Box pinion rather than a Hornet one, but didn't sell you the adapter required to make it fit the gearbox, hence the need for your interesting modifications. Had they sold you a Lunch Box motor adapter, or even better, a Hornet pinion, everything would have bolted together beautifully with no modifications required.

If you'd like to know more about the similarities and differences between the Grasshopper, Hornet and Lunch Box motor mounting methods, Tamiya have the manuals for the respective models available for free download here:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

Now that makes sense about the 540 and pinion combo I had back in the day! Thank you for explaining that. I got a little confused and now understand the different combinations with the 540.

Safe to say, I will NOT be using that old 540 and pinion. :blink: I think I'd like to stay more "original" with the silver can and even go with the 540-J instead of the Sport Tuned when I upgrade.

I am glad that you have no plans to re-use that pinion, but might I put forward an argument for re-using the Equaliser motor? (Assuming it still runs?)

Points in favour of the Equaliser:

- It is a period-correct hop-up, and not exactly a common one either AFAIK, so it has a measure of historical value. Plus it is part of the car's history with you.

- It should be quick but not over-powered. (Being an early ROAR 27t motor, it ought to have performance in the same ballpark as other good 27t motors such as the Sport Tuned, Dirt Tuned, etc, which have been used successfully in Grasshoppers and Hornets by many of us here.)

- It might be nice to see how your car could have run back in the day had the hobby shop sold you the right gear.

Even if you choose not to use it, please don't discard it. You might change your mind at a later date, and if you don't, I am sure there are other Grasshopper fans on here who would love to add a period-correct hop-up to their models, and would happily buy it off you.