hopperSr

Childhood Grasshopper Restoration

Yes, I've struggled with what I want to do with the Grasshopper in general. Do I want to go back to what I did with my childhood or go back to "original"? (When I say "original", I mean with re-re parts.) Of course things like the gearbox will be replaced either way. I go back and forth honestly, but keeping the options open (as you mentioned) to put in that Equalizer or such things that I had done in the past. I do plan on keeping everything - I've even got some things in the box that can't be used, but I've kept anyway. :rolleyes:

Now that I think about it more...I'll end up trying that Equalizer before buying another 540 motor. Thank you! :D

Now that I think about it more...I'll end up trying that Equalizer before buying another 540 motor. Thank you! :D

Well, I see you're both, right AND correct. ;):D

Small update. I scored the following parts for $13 (US) and $7 (US) shipping from ebay! Although, I missed the end date for the gearbox - it would have only been another $4. :(

photo%201_zpsxhhwzpk9.jpg

Starting to tear down the front; do you notice a subtle difference in the front end from my vintage to my son's re-re? ;)

photo%201%201_zps2nydwnra.jpg

photo%202%201_zpsv4o06axm.jpg

(Not the bumper or crack.)

Do you have larger front arms on white Grasshopper?

They are from Grasshopper 2, Super hornet and other newer models.

But I'm not sure.

Max

• Like 1

Mmmmm, I agree it does look like that from the angle, but that is not it. The white is the re-re and is unmodified. The red is the vintage that I modified.

The kingpin arrangement looks different. Have you put them in from the bottom on the red one?

• Like 1

Different springs?

Winner! I guess I "upgraded" the fronts by using the rear springs and their mounts back in the day - a direct swap! I don't even remember doing this.

The kingpin arrangement looks different. Have you put them in from the bottom on the red one?

Wow! Winner #2. I didn't even notice this one! The re-re has a kingpin with a screw head, whereas the vintage does not, it's just a floating kingpin with no head...I'm not sure how they stay in. I'll need to check the vintage manual and see what is up.

Thanks for playing! :D

Interesting. I don't have a vintage manual, only a re-re one, but I am guessing there is a grub screw in the inner end of the axle that bears against the kingpin and keeps it in place. I'm intrigued to see if this is the case. Do keep us posted!

There is indeed a grub screw on the backside of the steering knuckle ;)

Please accept my apologies for being gone so long! Been out bashing with my vintage RC10T and replacing parts on it.

I just did get around to rebuilding the rear end with a new counter gear and the bearing that goes in it. Also replaced the other bearings I took out.

After I ordered the Sport Tuned for my son and the pinion, I finally understood how it should have worked 30 years ago. I hooked up the Equalizer to my RC10T and it turned, so I'm using it here!

IMG_4460_.thumb.JPG.b574fc0fe913559c09805e9d29df9ac8.JPG

IMG_4461_.thumb.JPG.e3539167d14bbc02ef5353368a52fcf8.JPG

I waited three years. Three long years of grasshopper restoration anticipation. 

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2015 at 10:47 PM, hopperSr said:

Now that makes sense about the 540 and pinion combo I had back in the day! Thank you for explaining that. I got a little confused and now understand the different combinations with the 540.

Interestingly, because the pinion was for the Lunchbox, the top speed may not have been substantially more than the original motor although it would have got up to speed much faster!

This could be why your boys re-re doesn't seem much slower with just the 380 motor.

I love this resto - it makes me so happy to see original childhood cars brought back to life with such love and enthusiasm!

really looking forward to seeing this get finished! :)

On 9/14/2015 at 7:20 PM, XV Pilot said:

It looks like whoever sold you the upgrade motor back in the day sold you a Lunch Box pinion rather than a Hornet one, but didn't sell you the adapter required to make it fit the gearbox, hence the need for your interesting modifications. Had they sold you a Lunch Box motor adapter, or even better, a Hornet pinion, everything would have bolted together beautifully with no modifications required.

Ha ha! I was wondering why hopperSR had to cut the gearbox up. I ran a Grasshopper for years with all manner of 540-sized motors and I never had to cut the gearbox up at all, so I couldn't understand why it would be necessary. The Lunchbox pinion makes perfect sense, from both the gearbox butchery and monster truck gearing prspectives.

I would second (third? fourth?) the comments about fitting bearings, but I would also recommend an upgrade to the Hornet-type rear suspension set-up. The oil-filled shocks and sliding pivots transform the handling to the extent that it almost handles like a proper car after the change. I love the 'Hopper and would recommend them to anyone starting out in the hobby, as they are nigh-on indestructible (I used to drive mine down flights of concrete steps and out of upstairs windows before I got into racing, so I understand the fireworks business) and once you can handle one with the original solid rear suspension you can drive pretty much anything. But in honesty it is a terrible, toy-like system and it should be ditched as soon as you are confident you or your son have learned all it has to offer.

Little updates from Tamiya for the rear suspension. Vintage A1 pair on the left and re-re A1 next to it. Same with c1 Damper Shaft - the head is more squared now. I decided to just use the re-re parts on this step.

IMG_4463.thumb.JPG.eeb0f63cfae2577dba2e5ab16b8e4f83.JPG

Mounted up.

IMG_4595.thumb.JPG.367e9e92a5db66a26e2411aeaaf46349.JPG

Next step in the manual is the MSC setup. I am going to try to leave the MSC and the servo in for aesthetics, but use a basic Tamiya ESC for function. I believe I've seen this done before and it appears like there will be enough room.

I know it's overkill and over priced, but I was looking for the tble 02s as my son's re-re has one. I can't seem to find any for sale in the US! What's the next best bet from Tamiya?

Back again! :) Sorry again for taking so long...paging NWarty.

Mine is now running! I kept the same body for now, I've got some old headlights I could mount up too, but they are painted blue and green. :lol:

IMG_7732.thumb.jpg.1bc1a926a1fca7679b16309545bf0845.jpg

Coincidentally, my son was asking about the body on his re-re and why it had a bump/protrusion on the side of the cabin. I told him it was to make room for the servo controlling the manual speed controller on vintage Grasshoppers. Best part was being able to show him:

IMG_7733.thumb.jpg.88aa00b6dd3c3cad19c6e2b6fdf2bd66.jpg

I also mounted up some vintage Pro-Line Waffles I had from back in the day. I loved these tires and they seem to be fairly long lasting, but I'll be careful with them. I also have some matching Pro-Line Waffles for the fronts too, but I won't run those on the road as they'd just get worn out way too fast. (Actually, they are in the background of the first and last pics.)

IMG_7734.thumb.jpg.08167641cf4f05aed1dd8f2d840e459f.jpg

My son's re-re (with newer body), long story and many lesson's learned from both sides, but it was run over by a full size SUV and was still running. It ran mostly over the gearbox, destroyed the body, barely broke the upper rear shock mounts and one rear lower shock mount; drivetrain was fine. :blink: All back together.

IMG_7736.thumb.jpg.14328e117f103281b0775bfda66f8cd2.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 2