marhun

What Buggy to Buy

I have been away from RC for a long while and used of my old lunchbox and monster beetle for my son. Back when I got the Lunchbox I really wanted a buggy at the time (manta ray if I remember correctly it was about the same price back then).

Anyway to get the the point if I was to get a buggy now for my son (and me) what would be a good purchase as I'm not familiar with all the new models DT, TT loadsa letters. I like what I know so grasshopper, hornet, frog or if I can hide it from the missus a hotshot but how do the new models compare for fun driving and building? It will be mostly used on the standard street, car park, grass and beach bashing.

I know this is a personal thing so I am likely to get a few differing views but it will maybe help me make up for 20+ years of missing developments.

Thanks

Mark

I needed a cheap buggy so I could get my fix, all my other trucks and cars were in pieces or in need of repair.

I went for a DT02, which cost about £65 brand new to my door. I liked the idea of a Grasshopper but was worried about how strong it would be should I hand the controls to a relative! I got the Super Fighter GR because I felt it held a bit of a flame to those classic Tamiya buggies in the hardbody included. The lexan ones feel a little soulless in comparison.

Tough and cheap means it gets really thrashed - hard. It perfectly filled the gap after I was too afraid to give my FAV 'the beans'!!

I got a lb and a pumpkin, also a madbull which is a great blast,lf you like the lb i would recommend a madbull as they are pretty robust and quite similar in design and maintenance, just dont go backwards. ..

Don't go backwards?

This is making my pennies burn a hole in my pocket. I like the look of the DT02 it fits with the style of buggies I remember, flat handling, sharp turns, nice and crisp.

The mad bull I was not familiar with and looks plenty fun and very robust, maybe more up to giving the control over to a 7 year old for a while. Plus with the bigger tyres etc it's maybe more flexible terrains wise.

Are the builds of these new cars similar to the old ones where you need to build everything including the gearbox etc, what are parts like for these newer models? Easy to find, cheap, interchangeable, easy to hop up?

Hmmmm, getting the bug again.

Just looked at the mad bull on eBay and spotted a set of shocks, red. Does anyone know if these would fit the old monster beetle? I'm just try to make a runner not trying to keep it vintage but the ly would be a good match for the red chassis. I also saw some silver re re frog ones, those should fit shouldn't they?

Just looked at the mad bull on eBay and spotted a set of shocks, red. Does anyone know if these would fit the old monster beetle? I'm just try to make a runner not trying to keep it vintage but the ly would be a good match for the red chassis. I also saw some silver re re frog ones, those should fit shouldn't they?

We have a Mad Bull and a couple of fighter buggies with big wheels retro fitted. My only issue with the Mad Bull is the steering setup which can sometimes jam. Otherwise it's a really tough buggy. If you like the retro type though, you could always get a Hornet and monsterise it. All you need is lunchbox stub axles and wheels/tyres. This makes the Hornet much more useable and a bit different.

Here is mine, I love it!! ;

med_gallery_28308_3741_338195.jpg

• Like 2

Well, the DT-01 is today's Grasshopper/Hornet equivalent, with rear motor/gearbox pod and swing arm front suspension. Today's Frog is the DT-03, a RWD with more advanced independent suspension, and the Hotshot of today is probably the shaft-driven 4WD TT-02B buggy. How about choosing one of those?

Come to think of it, if you wanted a Manta Ray back in the day, how about the TT-02B Dual Ridge? The chassis layout is similar, as is the spaceship body styling.

I think I would go for the tt02b (dual ridge) I haven't got one myself but I have seen one go and it does go very well plus its good value for money 4wd well proven gearboxes and if you wish to go brushless in the future its ready for that! Perfect IMO!!

For the money the DT-03 is hard to ignore. not the most loved on here for its looks, but value V performance is fantastic.

Don't go backwards?

The madbull has a funny way of reversing,as in the front suspension dips and the wheels angle in towards the front .making reversing in a straight line a bit of a challenge.great fun though

For the money the DT-03 is hard to ignore. not the most loved on here for its looks, but value V performance is fantastic.

Agree, I have just finished building mine. Real easy build and for the money cannot be beat.

tt02b (dual ridge) ... well proven gearboxes...

Hmmm, is this the same TT02B which needs steel bevel gears because they're prone to stripping?

And the same TT02B which can have issues with the spur gear not meshing correctly due to the gearbox cover / warping of the chassis?

I question how well proven they are to be honest!

How many people have reported spur gear meshing problems due to the gear cover or chassis warping? Actually this is the first I've heard of warped chassis. All 5 of mine seem straight and true.

As for the gear mesh issue, wasn't that originally attributed to stripped gear cover screws backing out? Didn't I read that somewhere? That whole business was hard to keep track of... More twists and turns than Suzuka. :)

Aaaaaanyway, what about 4WD options. The DF-02 and DF-03 are good chassis and although 4WD is more complicated, it'll get you out of trouble quickly. The Dark Impact is one of my favorite cars.

Dorvack.

Currently looking at getting a 4WD its between the DF-03 and DB-01 for me.

I had issues with the TT-02b stripping bevel and spur gears. However, there were a multitude of issues causing that. I was using all stock (plastic) gears in it with a 15T motor. Some folks have had no issues, even with a brushless setup but running on loose dirt and doing jumps seemed be the culprit for stripped gears.

Another issue was that the gear cover and plastic motor mount screws would back out, causing the spur gear mesh and alignment to be less than ideal. Also, If you do get the tt-02b, make sure to follow the instructions and use the thick grease included to seal the gearbox from dirt and debris.

Since then, I purchased a new chassis, an aluminum motor mount and steel pinion/bevel gears and have had zero issues.

before I launch my next question, I'd like to say thanks for your advice so far, much appreciated.

Is there an easy way or deciphering the chassis you are quoting? DF, DB, TT, DT? Do they stand for something, is there a social hierarchy, who's the rich uncle and who's the cousin always borrowing money?

My thinking just now is that the mad bull looks a good option for letting a 7 year old loose on it, I've got an old old old sport tuned motor in a box somewhere that I bet would be fun in it.

Although I am liking the look of the mad hornet, it would offer flexibility as it could return to a true buggy with ease.

Nitomor - what wheel and tyres are those on your hornet? I was looking for spikes for my monster beetle and I bet they would be good fun on it, the extra width would make it almost in rollable.

I know for certain that DF stands for dirt four wheel drive. Im not so sure about the others. In relation to which buggy, I prefer the df02, which I think is pretty much the same as a tt02b but with steel gears in the diffs and steel dogbones as standard

Hmmm, is this the same TT02B which needs steel bevel gears because they're prone to stripping?

And the same TT02B which can have issues with the spur gear not meshing correctly due to the gearbox cover / warping of the chassis?

I question how well proven they are to be honest!

The TT-02B appears to be one of those chassis where the stock drivetrain components are designed to work together harmoniously, each being just strong enough to withstand the stresses placed on it by the others. I haven't read of anyone having trouble with them in stock form.

The problems seem to start when people upgrade some components but not others, placing greater stresses on the remaining stock components than they were designed to take.

Me, I knew from the outset that I didn't want a stock ride, so I upgraded all the necessary components during the initial build. As a result I too have had zero problems with mine despite it being a lot faster than stock.

As for the DF-02 vs. TT-02B, owning one of each, I can perhaps give some insight. Both are fine in stock form, and both can be upgraded into rather impressive vehicles. However both have their weaknesses. The DF-02 chassis tub has quite vulnerable lower suspension arm mountings that can rip free in a heavy crash, while the stock TT-02B has a drivetrain only just strong enough for use with the stock motor.

Thus, since the stock DF-02 has a tough drivetrain in a relatively weak chassis, while the TT-02B has a weak drivetrain in a relatively strong chassis, the best vehicle IMHO is a hybrid of the two - a DF-02 drivetrain in a TT-02B chassis. That is pretty much what I did with mine. Build thread here if you are interested:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75171

Is there an easy way or deciphering the chassis you are quoting? DF, DB, TT, DT? Do they stand for something, is there a social hierarchy, who's the rich uncle and who's the cousin always borrowing money?

While each set of letters does seem to stand for something sensible in relation to the relevant model, there is no clear hierarchy as far as I know. For example, a DF is a buggy (hence suitable for driving on Dirt) that is Four wheel drive, while a DT is a Dirt-capable Two wheel drive buggy. A DB is a Dirt-capable Belt-drive model, but there is no clear indication from the name as to where in the hierarchy it sits relative to the DT models (in reality it is their superior).

Then you get the suffixes too, for example a TT-02B is a Buggy version of the TT-02, whereas a TT-02T is a Truck version. A suffix-less TT-02 is the touring car version. The R suffix indicates a Race version, the D suffix indicates a Drifter, and the RA suffix indicates a Rally version.

Welcome back to RC!

I was 20 yrs+ away and one of the first things I wish I done after getting back into it,was to get a brushless motor and lipo set up.

The difference is night and day.The speed is immense and you can tune them via laptop (depending which setup) to deliver varying power,so you can reduce to 10% power,for younger drivers

My thinking just now is that the mad bull looks a good option for letting a 7 year old loose on it, I've got an old old old sport tuned motor in a box somewhere that I bet would be fun in it.

Although I am liking the look of the mad hornet, it would offer flexibility as it could return to a true buggy with ease.

The ability to switch between monster buggy and ordinary buggy is a useful one, and not one that is limited to the Hornet.

For example, the Rising Fighter works well in monster form:

DSC03994_zpspfncdqti.jpg

And the Mad Bull works well in buggy form:

20150419_141602_zpskfyugaxw.jpg

Even the Sand Rover can be successfully monsterised, as ably demonstrated by markbt73 with his "Kumamonster":

DSCF1834_zpsnakf7upw.jpg

I'm selling some old MB parts just now and I think the proceeds are going to go to a mad bull, but it won't be my last purchase just need to make sure my son gets bitten by the bug. The mad bull in buggy form looked quite good, was there many mods required?

The mad bull in buggy form looked quite good, was there many mods required?

Nope, just the smaller wheels and a pair of standard DT-01 front axles. It only takes a couple of minutes to swap between buggy and monster modes.

That Monster Hornet has Pajero wheels and the option WR02 soft spike tyres.

The Mad Bull is flawed in my view, the DT-02 is pobably a better bet to monsterise with a superior steering setup.

The Hornet is great. It doesn't roll in monster form but with a 4300kv brushless, when the going gets tough it just cartwheels instead lol!

Greenmeanie, thanks for that, some more inspiration for you

med_gallery_28308_3741_64453.jpg

Cheers

Nito