marhun

What Buggy to Buy

Nope, just the smaller wheels and a pair of standard DT-01 front axles. It only takes a couple of minutes to swap between buggy and monster modes.

Could be done with a couple of spacers to save the axles swap? I must have ten pairs of axles but have never measured the difference in width.

Yes it can. I ran mine like that while I waited for my short axles to arrive in the post.

Right I have spent the last few days pouring over what to do and need one final bit of advice. I had settled on a mad bull but then got tempted into looking at some dt02 chassis and for about the same money as I would spend on a mad bull and then putting oil shocks and bearings on it I can get a desert gator.

Is there any difference between the gator and the viper, I am just wondering cause it seems to be a good bit cheaper where I am looking and it still comes with the esc which was my first query.

Also would the dt02 still take monster wheels, would it overwhelm the gearbox, from all accounts it seems to be a pretty tough set up. I am keen to put monster wheels on it initially to make it a bit more rugged and forgiving for my son but afterwards I think it is the best option for then hopping up and growing with him as he gets older and better.

What are your guys opinion?

Due to the limited gearing options on the DT range, they are only really suited to monsterisation in conjunction with torquey motors with a relatively high turn count. As luck would have it, such motors are typically quite slow, and thus well-suited to a beginner.

As your son progresses to faster, higher-revving motors, it would be wise to move back to standard size wheels, which it sounds like you are planning to do anyway.

As for the Viper vs. Gator, it is a body/decal difference only. However to complicate matters there is also the Fighter Buggy SV, which looks just like a Sand Viper, but has a lower Holiday Buggy-esque spec with pogo sticks and plastic dogbones. Just make sure you aren't being offered one of those posing as a Sand Viper.

This was the link, it was a new in box kit on Amazon UK but sent from Japan, seems oddly cheap. I am waiting on Amazon letting me know the price includes VAT etc. don't want to get stung with that further down the line.

All Japanese imports over about £18 are liable for duty, whether you get charged or not is totally pot-luck unless the seller declares a low value on the customs declaration.

From the seller's bio; "Customs fees may apply to the purchaser. The transaction does not includ"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000GPP4M8

If you do get hit for VAT you'll also get stung for a customs clearing fee, levied by the carrier, which is usually £8-£13 (could be more, I've not imported for a while)

For that buggy allow around £110 - £115 (£82.15 + 20% VAT + £13 clearing) just in case.

Tamico have the Desert Gator in for just over £80; http://tamico.de/Tamiya-Desert-Gator-DT-02-Bausatz-58344_1

Comes to around £90.20 shipped and there's no extras to pay as they're in Germany

I have checked with Amazon and the have definitively confirmed the price includes VAT, I asked again and they confirmed again. I am now waiting to see from the seller if it definitely includes the ESC. This is because as is states above it starts to say this item does not include...........

What might it not include? The answers to the inner workings of a woman's mind, I was really hoping that WOULD be included.

I have checked with Amazon and the have definitively confirmed the price includes VAT, I asked again and they confirmed again.

If you buy on Amazon and the seller is Amazon, then the price includes VAT if applicable.

If you buy from 'marketplace' sellers, it's a bit of a grey area.

This week I bought three items, one Amazon and two marketplace.

Of the two marketplace, only one had VAT charged or applied, the seller's invoice for one was £49 with no VAT declared on the invoice.

You'd be better off doing a lot more research than trusting Amazon's offshore call-centres on something as important as 'will it cost me another £30?'

Ultimately, you're buying from outside the EU (which would concern me any way with regard to import duty) and the seller's own page says you're liable for tax etc.

One of the seller's reviews;

"Product arrived exactly as described. Fantastic customer service.

Even refunded the customs charge since the T&Cs stated that VAT was included.

Cannot fault the transaction at all and would definitely recommend this seller."

And from the company's detailed shopfront;

Come Store Japan Tax Information

Prices are displayed inclusive of any applicable VAT.

The fact someone was charged VAT means either the prices don't include it or the seller refunds it if charged - that's not the same as including VAT.

That would suggest the import paperwork is not sufficient for the carrier at this end to clear is as VAT Paid.

I've also seen a website pop up a lot

Asiatees.com

Has anyone used that?

They are a good supplier.

I would still look at the DT-03, an update of the DT-02 for less money and comes supplied with larger wheels in one form.

I am now waiting to see from the seller if it definitely includes the ESC. This is because as is states above it starts to say this item does not include...........

That text is used on all their entries, including static models, so I doubt it refers to speed controls.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B008BSD37U/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1441745948&sr=8-1&keywords=Toyota+Eagle+Mk+III&condition=new

"brand new, factory sealed. If you choose expedited delivery, it takes six days a

Japan Post EMS with online tracking and full insurance. Please allow 2-3 weeks

for standard shipping. Customs fees may apply to the purchaser. The transaction does not includ"

Yes they are perfectly fine to deal with.

I've also seen a website pop up a lot

Asiatees.com

Has anyone used that?