JNSD1

Should I eeeeeeven bother...

So straight out of the old garage comes the relics. I LOVED the Samurai when I was a kid but I think it's all too far gone. The Big Bear however could be quite easily salvaged, and I must admit the body looks nice. It was actually a mates when I was a kid and I ended up with it. Man, 30 years...

Also have the Team Associated RC10 with graphite upgraded chassis which is in far better condition. Memories...

(And yep, the Big Bear front tire was glued on the wrong, hence why I didn't build it!)

F0F9E3B3-41E5-41F9-A2C8-B609ABB3F179_zps
4F69C106-0569-45F6-8CF3-EBDF6BBFE9AF_zps
E84BF05D-747C-4FE9-BA59-5DF70F310E42_zps

Check your pocketbook size; then your calendar; and then you will have a decision ;)

Perhaps the Samurai parts could fund the Big Bear and RC10 restorations? Even the latter can be spruced-up again, providing you are not too picky about re-release and vintage parts.

Best of luck with these!

I would wipe down the samurai and piece it all together, see whats missing and whether you want to carry on with it. At least that way it is more appealing to prospective buyers should you decide you want to let it go. It is one of the top 3 most attractive buggies of the 80's.

Big bears are still awesome little trucks. Specific parts are nigh on impossible to find but even with the stiff pogo suspension they are amazing trucks to drive. You could soak the bead of the wheel/tyre in acetone and then flip it over and do the other, just don't yank on the tyre too much as the tyres are prone to cracking.

I would love to see the Maruis restored.

ME TOOOO! :lol:

I third that! There aren't enough Mauri builds here :D so it must be done!

If you decide not to keep the Samauri, I doubt you would have any trouble selling that on the bay or even here. But as Berman suggested, clean it up to see what you've got, hopefully you are pleasantly surprised

I do agreed that the Samurai is basically one of the best looking buggies ever made. It was amazing, shame all the bits were not respected more by me over the past 30 years. Who'd of thought ;) I'll have a sniff around and see what I think it will take to get them going.

• Like 1

Alternativ chassis for the big bear, the MF01x kind of fits

IMG_20150806_012829.jpg

• Like 1

I would wipe down the samurai and piece it all together, see whats missing and whether you want to carry on with it. At least that way it is more appealing to prospective buyers should you decide you want to let it go. It is one of the top 3 most attractive buggies of the 80's

I'll second that,

Plus,have you seen the price the samurai's are selling for?!?

I would love to see the Maruis restored.

Me too.

X2 ninja's and a Coors Thunderbird in my line up for re builds soon,when I say soon,I mean maybe next year! :)

I do agreed that the Samurai is basically one of the best looking buggies ever made. It was amazing, shame all the bits were not respected more by me over the past 30 years. Who'd of thought ;) I'll have a sniff around and see what I think it will take to get them going.

My 2 cents...

Looking at any box of filthy parts is daunting at first. I am currently doing this exact project with a basket case Marui Hunter.

But once everything is totally clean and laid out on a table, so that you can check for stress fractures, breakages, flaws....you will be able to do a proper stocktake, and the whole rebuild process actually becomes a lot of fun.

Step 1. Brush off the parts. Put all large metal and hard plastic items in the dishwasher (if your wife allows!) as this is a shortcut in the cleaning process. Put small items in a stocking, and tie the end. Put all parts in the cutlery holder. Run on heavy cycle.
Step 2. Clean any remaining grease with toothbrush and detergent.
Step 3. Now lay it all out. Assess what you have. Work out what items are broken and need replacing. Put them in groups. And research the cost of finding replacements, on eBay.
Step 4. Either continue your restoration, or sell your intact parts to someone else.

For such classic vintage cars, vintage Marui spare parts are some of the most plentiful vs cheap that are around. Although some specific parts are hard to source.
  • Like 1

I rebuilt a Big Bear for a buddy earlier this year, the bodies are really nice and although the chassis is nothing special it reminds me of the WWI :) So I would go for rebuilding it :D

mbbbaap.jpg

• Like 1

I rebuilt a Big Bear for a buddy earlier this year, the bodies are really nice and although the chassis is nothing special it reminds me of the WWI :) So I would go for rebuilding it :D

mbbbaap.jpg

I've read your restore, very well done! I have two to do myself and like so many others, don't have any tires. What brand/make of tires did you end up using?

mbbbaap.jpg

Looks awesome!