Weevie

Problems with a NEO Scorcher

I am having considerable problems with assembling a Neo Scorcher kit (TT02B Chassis) - in that some of the screws will not tighten up

The main ones being the "step screws" (MB2) holding the rear arms on to the uprights (B5 /B6) and similarly the front arms (C5) - step screws ( MB3) will not tighten to fit to the front uprights (MB7) - I have tried several screwdrivers, but none will get enough purchase on the screws to tighten them

I am concerned that I will break something if I continue - they are already rounding off the heads !!

Also - there is a bag of screws in the box - are these "spare" or needed for specific jobs ?

Any advice welcome - please

Thanks

Weevie,

First off, welcome to TamiyaClub! Good to see another TT-02B owner(Dual Ridge here) to share notes with. OK, here is what I know. The size screwdriver you need for most of the MB-series screws is a #2 Phillips head. I got mine at ACE Hardware, as well as a number of replacement screws as some of mine in the kit "walked away".

Tamiya tends to throw a few extra of some screws so don't be alarmed if you have a few different spares at the end of the build. For the screws that are starting to "round out", there is a crude but effective solution in order to continue to use them. Take a broken piece of rubber band and stretch it over the tip of the screwdriver, now use it to grab extra bite on the damaged screw head.

As far as the screws not tightening, do you mean you couldn't get them to screw all the way in, or do you mean the screws don't seem to want to stop turning? If its the former, the correct size screwdriver will correct this. If its the latter, then put a drop of plastic glue on the thread before starting it.

I hope this helps.

Mike

What you really want is a JIS screwdriver - JIS screw heads look like Philips but don't 'cam out'

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75717&hl=screwdriver#entry576197
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75429&hl=screwdriver#entry571919

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74893&hl=screwdriver

If the screws spin in the holes because you've stripped the thread, drip a little super-glue in the hole and let it dry properly - this'll close the hole a little and give the screw something to bite into. Don't put super-glue on the screw or you'll glue it in place and it'll be a right pig to get out again, should you need to.

• Like 1

Technically Tamiya's screws require a JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screwdriver and not a Phillips screwdriver; there are subtle differences in the shape of the driver tips and cavities in the screw heads. In general the JIS driver locks into the screw head better and doesn't try to push out of the cavity as much as a regular Phillips. You can see in the images below the JIS tip doesn't extend as much as the Phillips tip, and the JIS tip internal edges are sharper. So, if you use a true Phillips #2 tip in a JIS screw head, the rounder internal edges and longer length doesn't allow the tip to properly mate with the screw. There's a chance the screwdriver will "skip" as you try to turn it, and that will start wearing the head of the screw and make it worse.

screws_JIS_phillips_comparison.jpg

42170d1404490715-everything-you-wanted-k

I've never bought a JIS-specific screwdriver, but I've had very good success with DeWalt #2 Phillips bits and a ratcheting screwdriver purchased at a local home improvement store. The bit tips lock very nicely into the kit screws and I have no problems with damaging the screw heads. I have tried some other Phillips screwdrivers and have sensed immediately something wasn't right, so I've stuck with the DeWalt bits.

You may want to source some replacement screws for the ones that have been damaged and get a better screwdriver to drive them in. The TT02 kit plastics shouldn't pose any challenge for installing the screws.

• Like 1

Thanks - could someone please confirm the size of driver that I need ?

I can buy one from Amazon for £7.20

is this the size required ?

(Hozan-D-332-100-Ball-grip-screwdriver)

I am unable to post links !!!

I have used many different screwdrivers during my 20-odd years in the hobby, and out of all of them, the ones that I found to fit Tamiya screws best are (unsurprisingly) Tamiya screwdrivers.

Tamiya 74006 (large) and 74007 (medium) are all you need for the vast majority of the JIS screws used in Tamiya RC models, and I see you can get both together from Amazon for £7.73.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your advice on this matter

I bought a medium size JIS driver from Amazon - it was delivered a month later from Japan and made a huge difference to my screw tightening ability..... also it doesn't chew up the heads !!

I strongly recommend that anyone building a Tamiya kit gets their hands on a JIS screwdriver ........

I am suprised that Tamiya fails to mention these items in the instructions

I can highly recommend the Tamiya 8-piece RC Tool set (blue kit) works a charm.

No - a JIS has a different profile - it fits the screws better with less rounding of them......

Well worth the money !!