s2-g2

Wheelies in Valhalla! The GigaM38

Wow...that is just too cool...!

I used to put matches on my lunchbox wheelie bar when I was a kid but this is way better. :D

Thanks guys! I burned through a set of igniters playing this weekend - but they're easily swappable! Just screw on new tips!

Meanwhile... Shapeways had a 20% off sale and free shipping this weekend, so I spent a couple hours in CAD and now have a couple more custom items heading to print.

img42077_30112015005916_1.jpg

A new front-end bash guard for the chassis. Most of the basket-case M38s I've bought have arrived without this piece. I added some heavy-duty skids on the bottom. I'm trying this part in plastic first to see how well it holds up.

img42077_30112015005916_4.jpg

Right and Left side suspension stay arms with Immortan's Screaming Skull symbol (teeth to be etched in by hand). I'm excited about these - if they work/fit right prototyped in plastic, then this will be my first stainless steel print.

Then I spent a little bit of time back in reality with the rig...

img42077_30112015005916_2.jpg

Fixed my grille (wasteland style)... I figured Immortan wouldn't really be driving around with a busted front-end, so I rebuilt the missing grille bars and weathered them appropriately.

img42077_30112015005916_3.jpg

Painted the Screaming Skull out back and installed the tailgate. I'm thinking of a modified spare carrier out back that will allow either more supplies or defense weaponry to be installed...

img42077_30112015005916_5.jpg

Pulled both rear wheel installations and properly rust primed and over-coated them in black. Then sanded them down to weather them, and installed new mounting bolts for a better lug nut look.

I also started work on making a (Willy) War-boy to ride along with Immortan - for defense/offense/spraying chrome paint his mouth/etc. More on that project soon.

img42077_31052015033338_6.jpg

Stuart

• Like 6

The only thing about the build that looks off to me is the hose going from the barrel to the fuel cell. Without something like a valve, it looks like the fuel in the barrel is just gonna pour down into the fuel cell til it overflows. Sorry if I sound nit picky, but is really hard to find anything wrong with what you've done. Awesome work.

• Like 1

That thing is deadly, I love it!

Thank you!

The only thing about the build that looks off to me is the hose going from the barrel to the fuel cell. Without something like a valve, it looks like the fuel in the barrel is just gonna pour down into the fuel cell til it overflows. Sorry if I sound nit picky, but is really hard to find anything wrong with what you've done. Awesome work.

Thanks!!

and - you're saying what my brain has been quietly telling me about that hose... I have an idea for a cutoff feeder valve to add inline. I do appreciate all your help/feedback! :)

Hiroboy have some tiny fuel hose type fittings.*

This thing is so awesome, love the work you've done, it really is quite inspiring!

*edit...but with your skills you can just make a cooler one anyway!

• Like 1

This is so awesome.

Thanks!!!

Hiroboy have some tiny fuel hose type fittings.*

This thing is so awesome, love the work you've done, it really is quite inspiring!

*edit...but with your skills you can just make a cooler one anyway!

Thanks Nito - hey good luck with the back stuff!

I'll look for those fittings to see how they compare to the couple of ideas I have bouncing around in my head. :)

Ok... my latest Shapeways shipment took the long route to me - which was torture - but, it finally arrived today with these goodies:

img42077_15122015034643_3.jpg
bash guard and suspension pretties in "metallic plastic" for prototype playtime... I'll be trying these out this week.

img42077_15122015034643_2.jpg
Generic bearing wheel adapter for the M38 front axles... these attach to the back of generic cheapie e-Bay wheels...

Meanwhile, I've been cutting and gluing (Tumbling Bull) tires as recommended above by Nito. These aren't ready for prime time, but I learned a lot on my first try. I now have a good plan of attack to make the next set better. I ended up with a 1.5 tire and a 1.9 tire since front Tumbling Bull rubber is different inside/outside:

img42077_15122015034643_1.jpg
The unmounted 1.5 isn't cleaned up, but you can see the difference in look to the 1.9...

Altogether, tires/wheel/adapter mount up like this:

img42077_15122015034643_4.jpg
not bad, but I want the final product wider and with straight tread...

So, I nabbed these off eBay for the next round:

img42077_15122015034643_5.jpg

straight tread more like the tractor back tires...

and if the suspension bits work right, I added more detail for the stainless steel print:

img42077_25112015025425_4.jpg
wheeeeeeeeeeeee ( - Screaming Skull)

Stuart

• Like 5

Thanks for the update. The creativity on this forum never ceases to impress. Looking forward to the next one!

• Like 1

I mentioned this in the "What did you do today?" thread last week...

Trying to get good pics of my flame pipes in action, I rolled the GigaM38 hard and caused a bit of carnage...

You can only hear the wreck at the end of the video, but it was kinda like a pod-racer hitting the ground and throwing parts...

among other things, I shattered the right side suspension...

img42077_16122015001203_2.jpg
that'll take some creative fixing...

Luckily, Dojo Dave had a replacement NOS part tree. Thanks Dave! Immortan Willy thanks you too now that he's rolling again.

Also - I painted my Screaming Skull "metallic plastic" arm stays and am happy with the result/fit. I am going to run them to see how well they handle stress while I wait for a Shapeways sale to print the final stainless parts. Who knows? They actually seem pretty solid as is.

img42077_16122015001203_4.jpg

and installed:

img42077_16122015001203_5.jpg
Screaming Skull arm stay in place... Right side also shows a 1.9" version of the Tumbling Bull tire I cut and combined.

Then, I painted the new bash-guard front end and installed it too...

img42077_16122015001203_3.jpg
I think this part will do fine in plastic long-term..

Here's a left-side shot that shows the other 1.5" version of the Tumbling Bull cut/combined tire installed.

img42077_16122015001203_6.jpg

So, I've decided to keep running the GigaM38, but to maybe go a little easier on it.

I'm planning a flame-pipe conversion for the wheelie bar on my WW2 rig so I can make some fireworks without as much worry about an antique carnage fest.

Stuart
  • Like 3

Just awesome, such an imaginative build.

Thanks man - I really appreciate that!

It's been a while. Busy times - but, I've gotten some things done for Immortan during the holiday season.

First - I FINALLY found some tires I can live with on eBay. I happened across these one night by odd chance, and to me they're perfect for this build.

Here you can see the runner-ups.

img42077_11012016011342_1.jpg

Final choice versus the Tumbling Bull cut-and-glues and the original plastic eBay finds...

I also spent some time fashioning a cut-off valve for the extra fuel tank...

img42077_11012016011342_2.jpg

Even wrapped the handle with tape so Immortan doesn't cut his hands during a guzzoline dump.

Next, I spent some time figuring out an exhaust system. I was going to do a wild two-sided crazy pipe extravaganza, but got to thinking that the engine I designed is actually an "I" and not a "V" ... So, I decided to go more tractor-style with a single pipe out back...

I found some usable parts in a plastic coat-hanger and the center spindle of a CDROM stack. I cut 'em up, drilled the spindle, and went to work...

img42077_11012016011342_3.jpg

Coat hanger and CDROM spindle... didn't take a before pic of the spindle...

I put together a couple of pipe-hangers out of sheet metal and bolted everything together:

img42077_11012016011342_4.jpg

Don't want the exhaust swinging too wildly back there... Top of the exhaust is screwed to the underside of the body behind the body mount. 3 mount points made it all pretty solid.

So, here are where things stand right now. Tires (rims painted and weathered), cut-off valve installed, and exhaust pipe out back.

I still need to find an exhaust tip to direct smoke out and away. I'm trying my best NOT to use a piece of elbow macaroni.

img42077_11012016011342_5.jpg

img42077_11012016011342_6.jpg

Does this rear-end make my rear-end look big?

Next on the agenda... Weathering/rusting the exhaust, exhaust tip fabrication, spare tire mounting, and rear-end defense/offense.

Stuart

• Like 3

Thanks man - I really appreciate that!

It's been a while. Busy times - but, I've gotten some things done for Immortan during the holiday season.

First - I FINALLY found some tires I can live with on eBay. I happened across these one night by odd chance, and to me they're perfect for this build.

Here you can see the runner-ups.

img42077_11012016011342_1.jpg

Final choice versus the Tumbling Bull cut-and-glues and the original plastic eBay finds...

I also spent some time fashioning a cut-off valve for the extra fuel tank...

img42077_11012016011342_2.jpg

Even wrapped the handle with tape so Immortan doesn't cut his hands during a guzzoline dump.

Next, I spent some time figuring out an exhaust system. I was going to do a wild two-sided crazy pipe extravaganza, but got to thinking that the engine I designed is actually an "I" and not a "V" ... So, I decided to go more tractor-style with a single pipe out back...

I found some usable parts in a plastic coat-hanger and the center spindle of a CDROM stack. I cut 'em up, drilled the spindle, and went to work...

img42077_11012016011342_3.jpg

Coat hanger and CDROM spindle... didn't take a before pic of the spindle...

I put together a couple of pipe-hangers out of sheet metal and bolted everything together:

img42077_11012016011342_4.jpg

Don't want the exhaust swinging too wildly back there... Top of the exhaust is screwed to the underside of the body behind the body mount. 3 mount points made it all pretty solid.

So, here are where things stand right now. Tires (rims painted and weathered), cut-off valve installed, and exhaust pipe out back.

I still need to find an exhaust tip to direct smoke out and away. I'm trying my best NOT to use a piece of elbow macaroni.

img42077_11012016011342_5.jpg

img42077_11012016011342_6.jpg

Does this rear-end make my rear-end look big?

Next on the agenda... Weathering/rusting the exhaust, exhaust tip fabrication, spare tire mounting, and rear-end defense/offense.

Stuart

Stunning build, so much detail in one vehicle
  • Like 1

Looks oh so awesome, I liked the 1.5" tumbling bull over the 1.9's but the ones you went with also look great, what were they in the end?

A piece of brass tube should be easy enough to bend for exhaust tip perhaps?

• Like 1

The exhaust shield looks fabulous, but isn't it a little too safety conscious? Personally, I think a simple megaphone exhaust (like an old VW "stinger" pipe) would be more apropos

• Like 1

You still have the red front knuckles.

Max

You are correct - kinda silly I haven't gotten to that yet. I've actually swapped out those parts several times with different iterations of the 3D prints for testing how well they hold up. Think it's time to paint them though!

Stunning build, so much detail in one vehicle

Thank you!

Looks oh so awesome, I liked the 1.5" tumbling bull over the 1.9's but the ones you went with also look great, what were they in the end?

A piece of brass tube should be easy enough to bend for exhaust tip perhaps?

That was my preference between those two, also. I like the bigger sidewall the 1.5 gives the tire. I just wasn't too excited about how the curved tread looked compared to the back tires. Gotta say - I was really surprised how well cut and glued tires stick together! I would never have guessed...

The 1.9's I ended up with were a late night eBay find. I was searching for 1:10 scale tractor tires and came across a guy that sells all sorts of non-RC toy tires from different vehicles. Those looked right, the measurements sounded right, and they ended up working perfect on a stock 1.9 rim with the adapters I printed so I could run cheapie rims on the M38 axles.

The exhaust shield looks fabulous, but isn't it a little too safety conscious? Personally, I think a simple megaphone exhaust (like an old VW "stinger" pipe) would be more apropos

Ha! Yes. Most likely Immortan is worried about safety in this case for all the times he has to retrieve his wives when they run away. Don't want them getting burned when jumping from vehicle to vehicle. :unsure:

Cool! such a unique build, I really love the flame throwing wheelie bars, defiantly going to have to borrow that idea :D

Thanks. Please post pictures/video when you do!

I played around this weekend and designed one of these for my WW2's The spark tips would just attach at the back like twin tail pipes. We'll see how it looks/works when the part comes in from Shapeways.

img42077_25112015025425_5.jpg

:D

• Like 2

This is an amazing build! Love all the ideas you've put into it. I saw a scaler with smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. Smoke bellowing out of this thing would look amazing. Think they used one of those e-cigarettes some how to create the smoke.

Can't believe I just saw this thread. Fantastic!

• Like 2

This is an amazing build! Love all the ideas you've put into it. I saw a scaler with smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. Smoke bellowing out of this thing would look amazing. Think they used one of those e-cigarettes some how to create the smoke.

Can't believe I just saw this thread. Fantastic!

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

:D I've had one of these in my eBay watch list for a while...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slidelogy-Smoke-Effect-Exhaust-Pipe-Red-Led-Light-EP-1-10-Drift-RC-Car-SDY-0069-/131675675969?hash=item1ea87b5d41:g:BcUAAOSwfZ1WbmXM

Haven't jumped on one yet... but.... hmmmm....

That kit would definately do the job. I saw the same kit on a drift car, really pours the smoke out! :) Think it would look great shooting out of the exhaust you've made (is it hollow?).

Amaaaaaaaazing build.

• Like 1