s2-g2

Wheelies in Valhalla! The GigaM38

That kit would definately do the job. I saw the same kit on a drift car, really pours the smoke out! :) Think it would look great shooting out of the exhaust you've made (is it hollow?).

Not at the moment, but it sure can be... :D

So, I've been going back and forth about the rear-end design for the GigaM38. I originally wanted to hang a spare or spares and maybe have a defensive platform for a Warboy to stand on back there.

Then I got to thinking that Immortan doesn't need rear defenses. He's the hunter, not the prey... Plus, Warboys can hang from the cage and shoot backwards if needed.

Also - does he really need spares? if he gets a flat, he can just commandeer an underling's ride...

The post-apocalypse Warlord scene is so complicated :wacko:

But, I do want to "balance" the rig. I don't think I need a big rear-tire spare. There's already 4 on the vehicle. So, I'm going to fab a holder (bottom and hinged top that ties or bungees to the bottom) for two front tires. This will also be an area to bungee sand ladders, bazookas, and other gear.

I'm going to tie in between the chassis and the motor-carrier mounts. I pinched an old WW2 sprue in there tonight to approximate the look and position. Final version would be heavier-duty of course. Interested in any feedback...

img42077_08022016031719_1.jpg

img42077_08022016031719_2.jpg

img42077_08022016031719_3.jpg

Also - just a note: my WW2 version of the "flame pipes" mod mentioned above finally arrived. Since that isn't really part of this build, I started a different thread about it. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78793

• Like 5

I like the looks of the spare fronts back there. They are a good aesthetic balance for the extra phough/ram parts on the front. Good idea!

• Like 1

I too like the look of the spares. Great job on this and don't get lost in the Warlord mind set! LOL

• Like 1

I like the looks of the spare fronts back there. They are a good aesthetic balance for the extra phough/ram parts on the front. Good idea!

I too like the look of the spares. Great job on this and don't get lost in the Warlord mind set! LOL

LOL - I won't!

But, I did decide to run with the spare-carrier idea.

I scrounged up some old parts sprues from my WW2 and cut them down to simple frames. I painted them metal and dirtied them up. Then - mounted one frame under the tub and one into the fuel-can mounts. So, the top frame can pivot up and down to catch the tires and hold them in place.

I fashioned straps to make a basket in the lower frame. Then, I made a pivoting catch that comes up and secures the top frame in place. I decided to make my own wingnut for the catch to look more properly wasteland...

Tires stay securely in place with this setup.

So, I took the GigaM38 out for a snow run to celebrate. Now I'm drying everything off ^_^

img42077_13022016204506_1.jpg

Part sprue basket. Everything is fair game in the Wasteland.

img42077_13022016204506_3.jpg

You can never have too many tires.

img42077_13022016204506_2.jpg

Went wheelie-less for the run today. Just a slow crawl through the frozen tundra. 13 degrees out and windy.

• Like 8

After a day in the snow, Immortan was pretty ticked off that I haven't gotten to his windshield yet.

So, today I fabbed up a bullet-proof greenhouse for his driving comfort.

img42077_14022016201538_1.jpg
1. Start with a nice sheet of the finest Armormax you can find and cut to fit...
or, just buy some plexiglass at the local hardware store.

img42077_14022016201538_2.jpg
2. Drill some mounting holes and wrap the bottom with a nice frame of Kevlar or Graphene...
26 gauge aluminum sheet will also do in a pinch.

img42077_14022016201538_3.jpg
3. Take your windshield to the range and thoroughly test with high-velocity rounds. As an alternative, you can just drill divots and etch in
spiderwebs with a glass-cutter.

img42077_14022016201538_4.jpg4. Check for correct fit on your post-apocalyptic war-horse. Make sure ballistic testing artifacts do not obstruct your vision.

img42077_14022016201538_5.jpg
5. Remember to check for unobstructed line-of-sight from all angles.

img42077_14022016201538_6.jpg6. Mean-mug with your best angry face and post to all social media sites.

After my photo-shoot, I burnished the aluminum with a dremel, then painted it flat black and distressed it, got my side mount straps worked out and installed, and scratched/fogged the glass with some steel wool. I'll take some more shots later, but things are OK for now. I may end up remaking the whole component without holes for side straps... we'll see. I feel kinda like I'm cheating using zip-ties. I know there's a prettier option for mounting, but need to think it over for a day or two.

All in all, etching bullet holes is a lot of fun. Kinda therapeutic.

img42077_31052015033338_6.jpg
Stuart

• Like 7

freakin love this build!

Thanks!!!

So, I took the GigaM38 up to the reservoir today for some glamour shots...

img42077_29022016010538_1.jpg

img42077_29022016010538_2.jpg

img42077_29022016010538_3.jpg

img42077_29022016010538_4.jpg

img42077_29022016010538_5.jpg

img42077_29022016010538_6.jpg

• Like 6

Absolutely love this truck ! So much detail and inspiration for my build

• Like 1

Fantastic photos, one of my favourite custom projects. Is there more to come?

Absolutely love this truck ! So much detail and inspiration for my build

This truck looks ridiculously AWESOME!!!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback - it keeps me motivated. And - I'm glad you like the build. I know its not everyone's "cup of tea" but, it's good to know some people like the same tea I like :)

Build progress is slowing down since I started a Sand Scorcher and then also a Honda City Turbo with my 9 year old. But, I do have a few small things I want to finish...

• I just got Immortan a hand gun in the mail and need to figure out where he'll mount that. Then, there will likely be other weapons... those grenades on a stick they use in the movie would be good too.
  • I got two pretty awesome 3D printed sand extraction ladders in the mail from Poland yesterday. Trying to figure out where to add those with some scale rope.
  • ...and I keep toying with a Warboy to assist Immortan - either hanging out the side or riding on the back. I started modifying another WIlly for that task, but am moving slow on that process:

img42077_01032016131605_2.jpg

Over the last two years I've sculpted a few driver heads, but I'm no Matt Hicks by far. I wanted a Wendy-esque female driver, but my attempts have been a little freakish. (and the one chance I got to pick up a real Wendy on eBay ended up way over my budget)

I do better sculpting brute male driver heads. I keep looking for a chance to use one. I'm thinking a Warboy might be the best fit... So far, the middle guy in the top row and the left guy on the bottom are my best possible recruits for this build. Maybe I should try a Furioso.

img42077_01032016131605_1.jpg

img42077_31052015033338_6.jpg

Stuart

• Like 1

I just saw your build and I am most impressed. Looks fantastic! Secondly, I finally have to watch the movie, that I missed so far...

• Like 1

I just saw your build and I am most impressed. Looks fantastic! Secondly, I finally have to watch the movie, that I missed so far...

Thank you Dangerseeker! I really appreciate the comments.

I've got a couple of more small things I want to do to this build over time, but for now it is pretty much done, so I went ahead and added it to my showroom:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=128508&sid=42077

On the downside, now I want a Wild Willy 2 :ph34r: and will spend lots of time getting familiar with the freeCAD ;):D

I could get a used Wild Willy + radio for EUR 55.- Don't know anything about the condition, but pics looked good.

• Like 1

On the downside, now I want a Wild Willy 2 :ph34r: and will spend lots of time getting familiar with the freeCAD ;):D

I could get a used Wild Willy + radio for EUR 55.- Don't know anything about the condition, but pics looked good.

You get one WW, then you'll want another. Next thing you know you'll need an extra room for your fleet of them :D

There are some good online tutorials for FreeCad. I had some CAD experience a thousand years ago in college and forgot most of it. Picking up FreeCad actually went pretty quick.

This is the most fun I've had watching a build ever! Well done!

Thanks! I really appreciate that and I'm glad you enjoyed the build! :)

Took Immortan out to the Wasteland for some video last night....

Looks great, what's next ? The bullet farmers ride, or the people eaters Merc ??? ;)

• Like 1

On 24.5.2016 at 10:05 PM, s2-g2 said:

Took Immortan out to the Wasteland for some video last night....

most impressive slo-mo ride of a giga-horse since the last nuclear strike

• Like 1

On 5/25/2016 at 4:57 PM, MadInventor said:

Looks great, what's next ? The bullet farmers ride, or the people eaters Merc ??? ;)

:D  Actually....   I have amassed a couple of Audi Rally cars on the old WW chassis variant.  I finally have enough parts for a project to create a decent restoration.  Then... I think I have enough wrecked parts to create a second....  If I do, I'm thinking V8 Interceptor with Mad Willy at the wheel...

• Like 1

On 5/26/2016 at 8:53 AM, Mannyp1980 said:

That is awesome

Thanks Manny!

On 5/26/2016 at 1:15 PM, Dangerseeker said:

most impressive slo-mo ride of a giga-horse since the last nuclear strike

And that one was burned-in slow-mo on the retinas.  Yup.  (Thanks!)

Finally got around to updating something that was bugging me about this build.  The wreck that became the GigaM38 never had a radio-box cover.  I've run this in the sand and partially in some water and was always freaking out about the gear inside.

After losing a couple of auctions on eBay for Wild Willy chassis covers, I decided to design and print my own solution.  I made a "slim line" cover that doesn't have the big box at the back (since I don't need all that room for receiver batteries and MSC gear).  I'm pretty happy with the results and have printed a couple of them for my various naked WW chassis.

Now I can run it a little more carefree of wet and dirt :D

getuserimage.asp?t=n&id=img42077_1282017

Took another glamor shot of the rig while I was at it...

getuserimage.asp?t=n&id=img42077_1282017

• Like 4