Mr Jed

Clod Buster Axle stay issue - help / advise please?

Hello - I'm hoping maybe someone here can give me some pointers here please :)

I'm half way through a clod build - I've never even seen one in the flesh before let alone driven or fixed one, so not sure what I'm up against....

I am up to stage 30 on these instructions: http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/clodbuster.pdf (Stage 20 on the instructions I am using)

The issue is one of the axle stays is threaded - when I try to attach it with the BA7 screw, it just does not hold. I just added some blue thread lock and that does not seem to make a difference. It's attached, but not tight like the other three.

So a few questions...

Does this need to be super tight?

Will something else hold this in place better later on?

It is easy to swap this part out later in the build / when it is finished and comes loose following a drive?

Should I suck it up and buy a replacement and wait for it to arrive?

Any suggestions welcome -thanks very much!

Have a closer look at step 24, in the picture it has a small arrow between the gearbox and a little blurb down the bottom saying "Dont forget to install this BC1 nut".

So you will have to pull the gearbox apart and install this nut for the screw you mention to thread into.

If it makes you feel better quite a few people miss this :lol:

Apologies, couldn't download manual as was at work, so took a stab at what you were refering to :blink:

One side of those stays are threaded for a machine screw and the other is big enough for a tapping screw, the machine side should be towards the outside of the axle. If a machine screw won't tighten I'm afraid it is flogged out and like Dorvack said, you could fix it with a longer machine screw and a 3mm locknut on the other side, assuming it doesn't interfere with the 4 link arm.

Thanks guys - I will have a look later and see if I can get a longer screw in with a nut...

I managed to spot the sneaky nut inside the gearbox - i can see why people miss it:)