Sign in to follow this  
Paulwolf350

Super Blackfoot resto

A while back I got a couple of super blackfoots (Blackfeet? ) to make into one runner. I have been out of RC for a long time and just getting back into it with my son.

I have a couple of pics of them, I plan to strip them down and build up a runner

image_zpsk1uxkr1a.jpg

image_zps8lorumoi.jpg

image_zps1ynoawhz.jpg

image_zpsrn52uaey.jpg

Upon arrival, inspection revealed they have both been driven extremely hard, front wheels completely destroyed and some superglue repairs

Total tear down was in order, some searching turned up a few rebuild threads so I thought I would do the same.

Cheers,

Paul

For a how to on photos see the thread in the 'rules and site useage' section.

I have a Bush Devil - same chassis, different body. It's a great vintage runner and goes really well with a decent 23 turn motor in it, though I put oil filled CVA shocks on mine I ended up reverting back to the standard 'pogo sticks' as the bouncy character of the drive just seems to suit this model better in my opinion.

Good luck with the restoration amigo!

All good, I've run out of upload space so I've gone back my photobucket for hosting

Anyhow. I got these stripped down the other day, they both look like they have been driven hard. One has had a few superglue repairs and the other has been burnt with a soldering iron. So I have one good chassis, one unmolested gearbox and one front suspension upright, and a box full of bits

305459391568d4cdbc4608beaeb2ce57.jpg

I also printed out the manual

8e50b8b0e43b1f6e9698950c79f94769.jpg

I will need to chase up a rear suspension mount, servo cover and a few other odds and ends.

So I woke up early this afternoon (I'm on nightshift tonight) and got to work with a toothbrush and soapy water

004e1eff04fed52396cd910c1c7af68a.jpg

Looks like it was well overdue

5898befc45f5df80787e9dc14ced5903.jpg

There is still more to do, and some bits will need a second going over, but that gives me enough to start.

So, I've ordered some parts for the rebuild, and priced a heap more and I have had a bit of a reality check. I have been adding up what I've been spending, and a done bit more research on other threads, I have realised that this will not be a concourse resto without spending $1000, even then it won't be MIB. It's scratched and used, it's 25 years old, I want it to look vintage, not unused.

So I am going to use the best bits I have, replace the missing bits with used parts if I can, and only use re-re parts as a last resort.

This leaves me with 2 good frame pieces, frame joiners, suspension arms and uprights, and a few other pieces ready to go back on.

The chassis and suspension pieces have had their second run through the wash and started putting the chassis back together

76bb7c842ad65ab72740d7afa3c95213.jpg

4c017038fb6b84ba86a2c8c3c7544a06.jpg

I have got some new shocks, due to the old ones being toast. Generic oil filled plastic ones from Internet. Time will tell whether they are any good.

2f3a3d49384535fb316add27f5542b6c.jpg

Front suspension, all complete again

7f3e2319cf19ccee4f53ab163beb619c.jpg

fa14603a12ca068e100fcc3617bbd9b5.jpg

Gearbox just looks like it needs a clean, bearings and a re grease so hopefully it's back together again shortly

Got to work on this a bit with my son, he cleaned all of the gearbox components, and I assembled the gearbox and rear suspension.

e66e3a2e1dd6b025a183949a61c979e8.jpg

The front wheels that came with this thing are all flogged out where the bearings go in, so needed some more wheels, was missing gearbox joints and dogbone shafts, speed control cover and a few other super blackfoot specific parts.

I bought an original blackfoot body when I bought the chassis but it's pretty beat up, so I'm hoping I can find a better one, because this is turning out pretty nice.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

I had a bit of trouble getting super blackfoot hex drive wheels, but managed to get some earlier blackoot ones. I had to change the drive cups to re re frog ones, got a few more odds and ends tidied up, put the wheels and body on

bf77bc54b68a77473db162c536afbbc4.jpg

755246cee856f8ab579201b6670f94e9.jpg

a7aa3804d0894264adb3cfafb5ea9ae1.jpg

At this point it's still waiting on dogbones, and for me to fit a Motor to run this thing, but I think it is cool as, with the original body (not a fan of the super blackfoot decals), so decided to post it up.

I managed to find a better body to go on this chassis, so I dug this thing back out to finish off a couple of things. I put the (new to me) Blackfoot body on, fitted the dogbones and finished the electronics, and a sport tuned motor.

image_zps55qonofq.jpg

image_zpsbaxsmgux.jpg

There was still a couple of things to tidy up, namely the front bumper, and longer rear shocks, but I drove I around the house, so I guess it's a runner which was my original aim.

It sat a bit rear down, and was really dragging its bum under power so I fitted the longer rear shocks, lifted the back up some, looks heaps better now.

image_zpshztarrdi.jpg

Makes a good remote control holder too :-)

image_zpskn5ovsc5.jpg

I also changed out the steering servo and drove it some more, it's really toey with the sport tuned motor. Steering is pretty awful, but you get that I guess. All in all I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Cheers,

Paul

I have been eying off some alloy hex drive wheels, not really in keeping with the originality, but with limited options, non original paintwork and a few other items, I decided to get them.

So I converted it back to hex drive with super blackfoot bits and fitted the alloy wheels and new tyres

image_zpsfkqd9seh.jpg

image_zpsbiebv7p6.jpg

I also managed to get an original tree, with servo cover and a couple of other bits to finish it 100%

image_zps3rch9toa.jpg

So that's pretty much it up till today, although it cost more than I thought, it turned out pretty good, and got me back into rc modelling.

I have a couple more threads coming up, the original blue body and second chassis (with the soldering iron damage) are making a comeback, to become a blackfoot basher for me and the kids to play with.

I also have an almost mint blackfoot body and really nice chassis ( came with the red body), that I have just started tearing into, so it looks like we are going to do it again

Cheers,

Paul

Good work mate

It's great when the spare/parts chassis you have niggles away at you and you just have to breathe life into it and restore that too!

I'm sure it's a common experience many people on here have shared!

The shocks you got of the internet look like the new all black Tamiya CVA units (but I might be wrong). Your alloy wheels look fantastic too by the way.

I'm sure you'll have at least half a dozen runners and a few more projects before you know it! This is how it starts.....!

I love my Bush Devil (same truck as yours with a different body) - these are great vintage runners, once you've restored your other one it'll be time to add a couple buggys to your stable!!

The shocks look similar but have much bigger ends for mounting, they could be CVA copies, but sold under Absima name. Either way I'm quite happy so far, they sorta suit the look of the truck, I just need to get the correct mounts for them now and I can give it a good jump and see how they handle

Took it it for a bit of a spin today, gotta say I love the retro feel of this thing. Definitely needs some work on the shocks, really notice the weight of the body when cornering.

e394a09ce54122df804a44a763daee6a.jpg

I have some new shock mounts coming to hopefully sort out most of the cornering problems

Pretty stoked with this build

couple of vids of the frist real drive, sorry about the slo-mo, we ballsed up the camera work. this is the only footage I have. Will take some better footage shortly.

http://vid24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Pauwolf/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1070_zpskosr5opw.mp4

http://vid24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Pauwolf/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1071_zpsonvdfsau.mp4

sorry again about the slo mo, 2 full minutes of it was painful so edited it down

Just tried to watch vids, Say's Sorry but the vid has been renamed or deleted by the owner :blink:

Just tried to watch vids, Say's Sorry but the vid has been renamed or deleted by the owner :blink:

all good now, reloaded them photobucket and repaired the links

cheers

Paul

Woo hoo, shock mounts turned up today and they are the right ones for my shocks. (3rd time lucky). So I can finally mount the CVA copy shocks properly and she will be all finished.

dc78135f25026d307dc9fae204560522.jpg

Cheers

Paul

Just picked up a Bush Devil on FleaBheys... I'll be hitting you up for advice...

Terry

Cool they are pretty decent old trucks, good gearbox and suspension. I have some parts if you require any.

Paul

I wanted to fit blackfoot wheels to my super blackfoot, do you have a picture of the re re frog drive cups? Are they the same cups as a grasshopper/hornet cups?

These?

c1a41f22bf1561af3784d57b94693bbd.jpg

You need to get the long ones as pictured, I thought grasshopper etc would be short same as Super Blackfoot

Paul

I thought drive cup was referring to the plastic piece that attached to the shaft and grabs the back side of the wheel. I misunderstood, so the frog re release drive cup pictured above is longer than then super blackfoot/frog/brat.... I didn't know that.

I thought drive cup was referring to the plastic piece that attached to the shaft and grabs the back side of the wheel. I misunderstood, so the frog re release drive cup pictured above is longer than then super blackfoot/frog/brat.... I didn't know that.

Yeah, the piece you are referring to is called a "hub"... The Super BF uses a 12mm hex hub while the BF (and Frog) uses the traditional 5-point star hub... However, the axle uses a pin to secure the hub so AFAIK, you can interchange the hubs and drive either kind of wheel... At least I think so...

Terry

Yeah, the piece you are referring to is called a "hub"... The Super BF uses a 12mm hex hub while the BF (and Frog) uses the traditional 5-point star hub... However, the axle uses a pin to secure the hub so AFAIK, you can interchange the hubs and drive either kind of wheel... At least I think so...

Terry

I think I tried using the traditional 5-point hub on my super blackfoot but the axle wasn't long enough to fit the wheel. It seems the re release frog ones are longer, allowing the 5 point hub to be used.

I think I tried using the traditional 5-point hub on my super blackfoot but the axle wasn't long enough to fit the wheel. It seems the re release frog ones are longer, allowing the 5 point hub to be used.

Hmmm... I'll measure the lengths of each tonight... I'm beginning my own Bush Devil tear-down...

You could get a set of CRP axle extentions??? I use them on my Frog fronts to fit larger truck wheels and clear the steering rod ball-ends...

Terry

8dae4e740bf157cebba83a060d780e54.jpg

These are the frog / blackfoot drive hubs for the blackfoot wheels. They require the longer drive cups pictured earlier, (just the centre 2) and will increase the rear track of a "Super Blackfoot"

This is how I had mine set up till I got the hex drive wheels for mine.

Paul