whahooo

My stock "Clodject"

Hello fellow TC memers,

there was a indirect request of posting my stock Clodbuster "restoration" project, so here we go...

.) The first thing i have to mention is, thats there is nothing broken on this Clod, so i`ll only clean the gearbox, regrease it and change the bushings with ballbearings.

.) The second step is to install a tower pro 959 Servo in that beast.

.) The third step will be the installation of a Aluminum Chassis Brace & Anti-Rotation Bracket set from "crawfords" to archieve more sturdyness/stability.

.) The fourth step is to install a ESC, i will be using a Quicrun wp860.

.) Another step (maybe) will be the reinforcement of the tierods with some brasstubes.

.) The "last" step will be the installation of Traxxas E-Maxx plastic shocks allaround.

Here are some pictures:

The chassis:

fznwtgih.jpg

u558o38h.jpg

The body:

hdrw39fa.jpg

aiy9ir8j.jpg

The whole Clod:

pc5q6l9b.jpg

u22t7cod.jpg

The Transmitter:

97ggkykh.jpg

The Charger:

45nfyfqf.jpg

At the Moment my Batterys have the old mini Tamiyaclip, but i will be upgrading to a normal Tamiyaclip in the future (never done that before, tipps welcome :D).

• Like 1

Looks like you have an immaculate never run 1987 clod buster there! If it were me, I wouldn't touch it. Anything you add to it will devalue it and change it's historical significance. They were only made for 2 years with the Chevrolet insignia. Buy a super clod and mod that.

• Like 4

I think our good friend berman is correct. Ball bearings might be the only thing I would ad to that Clod Buster if it was mine. All the rest sounds pretty much a sacrilege to me. But then again the truck is yours and you can do as you please with it.

Hopefully you're going to finish the body details (signal lights, door handles, window rubber seals, etcetera). Your truck is truly a time-machine sort of find! ;)

Hmmm..... ....now you put me into a misery.

That's like having a beautiful wife/husband and not even touch her/him.

(I hope that argument is family friendly)

There are a few things I have to mention:

-) The truck was run before, but is was something like 1:10 scale 70s monstertrucking, so the highest jumps were 25cm or something like that.

-) I didn't knew that the truck was only 2 years in production, I thought the clod was produced till the early 90s.

-) As mentioned in a other thread, I'm a poor modeler, so I have to get better before I do any "damage trough detailing" to the paintjob.

-) The paintjob is better than my own paintjobs, but I do a nicer sticker-/decaljob then the guy who build that clod and I have to mention that the paint has a little bit of damage where the body meets the bumper. (The chrome bumper also has some slight damage)

-) Every of my cars are runners, but I don't run them very hard. I'm not a racer I'm not a basher, I'm something like a "golfcourse offroader". I want to have fun with my cars.

-) My wife was very impressed of the size of my monster. If I get another one she will get a little bit of something called "mad".

-) Also I don't have enough free space for another clod. (But there is a chrome one on my local craigslist for 180,- :D)

...so I'll see how things go, I don't want to do any damage to the truck, all hopups are "revetsable" so I always could make all changes back into the original state. And if it sits on his shelf parts like the tyres are get broken anyways, the plastic get brittle also....

....hmmm I'm thinking about to make it a shelfer but, I would be happier so see my beauty I a museum if I'm not allowed to touch her.

I'm with Berman and Mongoose, keep it totally original and if your going to run it becareful not to damage that super clean body. Having almost finished a original chassis mod clod I have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable projects I have ever attempted as the list of upgrades is never ending!

• Like 1

You could always sell it to a collector, and use the proceeds to buy yourself a newer, less historically significant Clod to have fun with.

That way, the rare one is preserved for posterity, and you have a newer model with plastics that were moulded more recently and are thus less prone to brittleness, which you can run and modify to your heart's content.

• Like 1

Hmm... Maybe I'll get another clod.

I'm not the guy who sells things, everytime I sold something I loved (RC models, videogameconsoles, ...), I was regretting it...

I don't think I would get 400,- for it and for me it has more value. (Personal value, not financial value)

I'll se how things go...

Ps:

If I'm motivated I'll post pictures of the little "damages" the truck has on its body.

It's a toy. Do with it what you want. If it were me, I'd mod and run it.

• Like 1

It's a toy. Do with it what you want. If it were me, I'd mod and run it.

^ This.

Although, one thing I would do is get a different body (Lexan, even) to use for running. Even when you're being careful, it's all too easy to hit a hillside just wrong and overturn it. And the body is the unique/valuable/collector part. Everything else is still in production.

• Like 1

I don't think I could bash an original Clod. Probably why I don't have one. With that said, it's yours. Have fun.

-) I didn't knew that the truck was only 2 years in production, I thought the clod was produced till the early 90s.

The 'red' Clod was sold for years but the Chevrolet branding was removed from the grille, tailgate, decals and instruction manual quite early in its run.

The Chevy badge remained on the box artwork of the red one throughout its availability, as far as I'm aware.

Later versions of the chassis (From Bullhead onwards) have steel reinforcing plates inside the chassis so, if you're intending to run it hard, a newer chassis would be more robust.

In 1990 Tamiya decided to stop spending money on copyrights (bodies, decals and such). That's when they removed the insignias and words from the body and decals of the Clod Buster. And while the box still sported the Chevrolet bowtie from 1990 on, the manual has the picture all cut, which is shameful to say the least.

Saying this, for heaven's sake PLEASE don't destroy that truck! :(

• Like 1

I agree, I have a 1987 issue clod, with all the Chevrolet insignia's, and it is only tastefully modded with vintage and modern parts. It will be a yard runner only, no jumps, just the yard/clean/shelf LOL

I may if the paint turns out nice, ask a local hobby store to display it to let people see it and maybe spark some into getting into RC monster trucks!

Good News!

Today i´ve got the permission to get a 2nd Clod, it will be the crome one.

Sadly the crome Clodbust er i (hopefuly) will get has no decals, so i´m wondering how to Paint it or decal it....

...all i have to decal it is a rere scorcher sticker sheet...

Looks like you have an immaculate never run 1987 clod buster there! If it were me, I wouldn't touch it. Anything you add to it will devalue it and change it's historical significance. They were only made for 2 years with the Chevrolet insignia. Buy a super clod and mod that.

Just looked at mine and it has the chevrolet insignia B) .

Glad you got permission to get another clod. They are the true original monster trucks of the rc world.

Has anyone ideas for a cromebody? Maybe original decals? 2 tone (that would be a waste of the chrome)? A hommage to another tamiya model? The 1:1 counterpart paintsheme?

Any ideas would be appreciated :D

So, my 2nd Clodbuster was delivered 10 minutes ago.

This Time ist a Super Clodbuster Chrome Edition.

The Chrome Body Looks kinda awsome (i did not tink so in the past), so maybe i dont use decals.

Maybe i´ll only spray a clearcoat over the chrome.

I´ll see and post the results.

I use that charger only for discharging my batteries.

For charging I use the more modern voltcraft charge terminal 3000.

Sadly I have no instructionsheet of that charger so I don't quite understand how to use it as a quickcharger, in the past I used the "automatic charge" feature, but then a stickpack (3000 mah) needs 4 hours or somewhat for a charge.....

Hello,

i have a lot of Clodbuster related Questions and do not want to open a lot of Threads that all belong to the same Model.

So i thougt, that i could put all my questions in this thread.

Could a Moderator put this thread into the right Section (Build- or 4x4 Montertruck section) ? That would be very nice.

I have the Problem that the "Suspension" is very stiff.

I use Traxxas E-Maxx Shocks with the White Springs and i thin wt 30 Oil or Tamiya yellow soft oil in it.

I Would like to put new softer Springs on the Shocks, but i do not find any Information in the Internet what Color is what Stiffnes.

So what Springs would fit (i also use the same Shocks on my Wild Dagger, there i have the same Problem of Shocks that are to hard)

Is there a Oil recomendation? I think a lot of People use the same Shocks on that Model.

PS:

Maybe i found a gut who can machine me the recomended Servomount :D.

Today i painted the Grill. Sadly some of the Chrome came of....

20200619_182451.thumb.jpg.3c7cd0f9ca7dea2823ab248d7de813b6.jpg20200619_182439.thumb.jpg.72dc82fa7a138877a098d712f14a662f.jpg20200619_182504.thumb.jpg.e483c39769131070c4998a1bcbb5b7b4.jpg

Then i installed a Servo Battery and installed a 8,4 Volt 7 Cell (a little bit of Trimming the Batteryholder of the Clod was nessecary, even after i removed the Spacer)

20200619_182543.thumb.jpg.55eb44f5cb2d5d311a69f3caabbbcb88.jpg

Then i installed my 8 oilshocks with 120mm.

20200619_182735.thumb.jpg.97ad73f5e519f3b1fdd36ac473626cc9.jpg

20200619_182759.thumb.jpg.6afe24fc0112540b1aa0e4ea4cbe2abb.jpg20200619_182804.thumb.jpg.b68cc3919d110bfc4d2501219c4f4dbe.jpg20200619_182819.thumb.jpg.da1655d318efed6a2c66830ca1ea497c.jpg

• Like 2

I think the articulation is good.20200619_182941.thumb.jpg.71c91ff14adcf77d26338f2e87bf00a1.jpg

20200619_183036-1.thumb.jpg.1063efcc0375800fd6fabb4bcffc6ece.jpg

The space between Casdis and axles is also fine.

20200619_183011.thumb.jpg.d51670fd37360b448f5cbf9ff7588e4e.jpg

Edit:

Since i switched from old to rere, i think the Topic should be moved.

• Like 4

Hey!!! Gorgeous Clod. Who makes that axle servo mount? And Shocks?

The servomount is designd by @madinventor and producrd locally.

The shocks are cheap chinese ones from ebay. Just zype in 120mm shocks in the searchbar.

• Thanks 1