whahooo

My stock "Clodject"

They are a great performanceupdate.

They improove the Suspension (articulation, ....) and you can enlarge/customize your wheelbase.

Ithought about getting them a lot, but i don't like the looks of it.

What do you want to archieve with it?

For a longer wheelbase there is a chinese chassisbrace for a larger Wheelbase.

On 6/22/2020 at 12:06 AM, kasparov said:

Anyone tried those suspension Rods from Crawfords for the Clod? Do they improve handling and are worth it?

These ones:  http://crawfordperformanceengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=5

Honestly I'm underwhelmed by the set up.  You have to get longer steering rods for the servo to the gear boxes, and I haven't gotten the geometries right yet, it's crab walking right now and popping the red adjuster on and off are just messing them up and adding slop. Going back to the stock set up after my move is complete. 

7 hours ago, GTodd said:

Honestly I'm underwhelmed by the set up.  You have to get longer steering rods for the servo to the gear boxes, and I haven't gotten the geometries right yet, it's crab walking right now and popping the red adjuster on and off are just messing them up and adding slop. Going back to the stock set up after my move is complete. 

Ah ok fair enough, doesn't sound too good then, **** was getting exited for a second thinking this would be a major upgrade in terms of handling.

On 6/22/2020 at 6:54 PM, whahooo said:

They are a great performanceupdate.

They improove the Suspension (articulation, ....) and you can enlarge/customize your wheelbase.

Ithought about getting them a lot, but i don't like the looks of it.

What do you want to archieve with it?

For a longer wheelbase there is a chinese chassisbrace for a larger Wheelbase.

Just better handling, I feel stock it moves all over the place and wobbles a lot, would love extra stability. Have already made some self made aluminium brackets for the underside after seeing some on ebay for sale that someone had made up, the idea looked quite good.

8 hours ago, kasparov said:

Just better handling, I feel stock it moves all over the place and wobbles a lot, would love extra stability. Have already made some self made aluminium brackets for the underside after seeing some on ebay for sale that someone had made up, the idea looked quite good.

I added (8) Top Force Hicaps, that was a HUGE improvement, the clod went from a bouncy toy like mess to a sure footed super fun runner and it retained the classic looks.  Thtas why im going back to the stock set up, might get the red gmade shocks so it even looks more OG Classic again. 

On 6/25/2020 at 2:07 AM, GTodd said:

I added (8) Top Force Hicaps, that was a HUGE improvement, the clod went from a bouncy toy like mess to a sure footed super fun runner and it retained the classic looks.  Thtas why im going back to the stock set up, might get the red gmade shocks so it even looks more OG Classic again. 

A awesome, they seem hard to find, there is someone in Ireland with a set of 4 but he doesn't post to Australia.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:09 AM, kasparov said:

A awesome, they seem hard to find, there is someone in Ireland with a set of 4 but he doesn't post to Australia.

Ive read alot of positive reviews for the gmade shocks,  i think ill try those so I can use the hicaps on other projects.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:07 AM, GTodd said:

Are the high caps all the same size? Are these the ones...https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-47358-LIMITED-EDITION-Top-Force-2017-High-Capacity-Damper-Set-4PCS/372833479761?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3De660c936d728487d87e84db5be4c6138%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D372833479761%26itm%3D372833479761%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DTamiya&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A95981625-ba9f-11ea-aba4-74dbd180b018|parentrq%3A04083e971730ac3d5d13dbf9ffe54472|iid%3A1

9 hours ago, kasparov said:

No, they are a little shorter than the factory pogos on the Clod AND the top force hicaps come with (2) shorter rods for use on the front of the Top FOrce. I used longer shock shafts from a set of King cab Shock I had colecting dust that got the hicaps close.  To use Top Force Hicaps as is on the clod stock youll need the CPE Shock mounts to regain suspension travel lost.  GMADE might be an easier way to go. 

14 hours ago, GTodd said:

No, they are a little shorter than the factory pogos on the Clod AND the top force hicaps come with (2) shorter rods for use on the front of the Top FOrce. I used longer shock shafts from a set of King cab Shock I had colecting dust that got the hicaps close.  To use Top Force Hicaps as is on the clod stock youll need the CPE Shock mounts to regain suspension travel lost.  GMADE might be an easier way to go. 

Ok no problems, I have no experience with Gmade, can you recommend which ones to get, for an easy install?

Max

On 6/29/2020 at 12:36 AM, GTodd said:

Ive read alot of positive reviews for the gmade shocks,  i think ill try those so I can use the hicaps on other projects.

You've read positive review for Gmade in terms of the Clodbuster or other vehicles?

11 hours ago, kasparov said:

You've read positive review for Gmade in terms of the Clodbuster or other vehicles?

There have been a couple builds on here that have used them. When I finish moving I'm going to get a set for the Clod , take off the four link, and return it to it's stock configuration. The 4 link is a disappointment. 

12 hours ago, GTodd said:

There have been a couple builds on here that have used them. When I finish moving I'm going to get a set for the Clod , take off the four link, and return it to it's stock configuration. The 4 link is a disappointment. 

Ok cool, any idea which ones from Gmade would fit the Clod? Specifically which length...they look very nice.

So last Weekend i installed 8 of these ceap chinese "Dualrate" Shocks in 120mm. I used "green slime" from team associated and soft 200 Tamiyaoil and 2 of the soft springs (so not dualrate).

I installed 2 Tamiya GT-Tuned Motors, one is set in backwards Timing and each motor was controlled by an RPM Meter.

I also installed a Chassisbrase to anlarge the Wheelbase just a tiny bit.

I have to say, i`m not 100% pleased how the Suspension behaves.

I used 120mm shocks to get al little bit of "Sag" in the suspension to handle "negative Bumps". I would love to get a setup like this:

My Problem is that i do not get any Sag on its own, the Shocks feel a little bit "too sticky" but the springs seem to be just right. If i let fall the Clod from 1m it lands smoothly. But if i Steer into Corners the Clod rolls to the side and holds that position and do not drive straight if i let the steering loose. It just keeps the cornering.

But i`m very pleased how the Clod looks:

clod.thumb.jpg.50d66d1a8d72c0f5ea8b8d3263d4bd07.jpg

clod2.thumb.jpg.1cec9970b79ee1a720490793036690c9.jpg

Should i install 1 hard spring on each damper to get better Cornering stability?

Should i install harder oil?

Should i use Sponsordecals on the Chassis? (i have some spare stickers from a Repro Clodbuster Decalsheet)

Next Weekend i can insatall an Engine Sound that i got yesterday.

• Like 1

Is it possible to shove that Topic into the 4x4 Forum?

PS: today i installed the Engine Sound.

It's a ton of Fun :D but i have to mention that the ESS Soundmodule sounds 100 times better than my cheap chinese Soundmodule.

On 8/25/2020 at 1:10 PM, whahooo said:

So last Weekend i installed 8 of these ceap chinese "Dualrate" Shocks in 120mm. I used "green slime" from team associated and soft 200 Tamiyaoil and 2 of the soft springs (so not dualrate).

I installed 2 Tamiya GT-Tuned Motors, one is set in backwards Timing and each motor was controlled by an RPM Meter.

I also installed a Chassisbrase to anlarge the Wheelbase just a tiny bit.

I have to say, i`m not 100% pleased how the Suspension behaves.

I used 120mm shocks to get al little bit of "Sag" in the suspension to handle "negative Bumps". I would love to get a setup like this:

My Problem is that i do not get any Sag on its own, the Shocks feel a little bit "too sticky" but the springs seem to be just right. If i let fall the Clod from 1m it lands smoothly. But if i Steer into Corners the Clod rolls to the side and holds that position and do not drive straight if i let the steering loose. It just keeps the cornering.

But i`m very pleased how the Clod looks:

clod.thumb.jpg.50d66d1a8d72c0f5ea8b8d3263d4bd07.jpg

clod2.thumb.jpg.1cec9970b79ee1a720490793036690c9.jpg

Should i install 1 hard spring on each damper to get better Cornering stability?

Should i install harder oil?

Should i use Sponsordecals on the Chassis? (i have some spare stickers from a Repro Clodbuster Decalsheet)

Next Weekend i can insatall an Engine Sound that i got yesterday.

I don’t have much experience setting up clod Supsension, but I can offer opinion that I think sponsor decals on chassis is a good look 

:D

guess what i put on the Chassis today.

Not very much, but a start.....

20200829_094313.jpg

20200829_095256.jpg

20200829_092153-1.jpg

20200829_092056-1.jpg

The GT Tuned Motor

20200829_092127-1.thumb.jpg.514d6a2ebbf7f953d9223f4da2f80726.jpg

The colored Blower:

20200829_123425.thumb.jpg.f1336980a38d18a8e1e247ba6441fed8.jpg

1598697664383-1544010389.thumb.jpg.8dd77658f429b9bbf717f17a94d5e458.jpg

I do not know how a real Blower looks, so i chose random Colors.

Ps:

Is there a proper Way to secure the Servo and Motorwires?

Is there any Tutorial how to fill shocks?

I do CVAs all the Time. I fill them fulll without Bubbles inside.

But Others shocks are different. I've learned that you fill them 3/4 full or so that the Piston isn't unser preasure.

Does ist make an difference If i move the Piston in. Maybe move the Piston in half way before closing the Cap?

I want some shocks with negative travel...

Stunning Color!

I found Information about "Zero Rebound" shocks:

Is it recomended so move the Piston half way in before closing them? 

Should i fill the shocks full with oil or Just 3/4 full?

I do not know If i should update my Clod of the 80s...

I have an spare Chassisbrace and 8 spare Oilshocks....

Sadly i gave my anti Rotation bracets away because i thought i'll never use them.

Today i realised that my 8,4 volt NiMh Packs are getting very hot.

The Motors and the ESC are cold/warm.

Do i Have to get better Batterypacks? Maybe the Traxxas ones?

I angled my 120mm shocks so that i lower the rideheigt a little bit.

Also i have a spare Gyro laying around.

Dies a gyro make sense in a clodbuster? Sometimes it doesnt run straight, mostly when it drives down a hill.

I installed a gyro in a scorcher and i love it.

Would a gyro work in a Clod??

Guys I fit the 113mm Gmade Aeration Shocks to my Clod and they are great, 8 of them, if anyone was wondering if they are worth it.

• Like 1