Sign in to follow this  
Mad Ax

What dual-motor, 4s, Lipo-compatible speedo for Clod?

So my 14.4v Clod/TXT Hybrid has spent the last few years in pieces after breaking yet more ball ends, and since I've thrown out all my dodgy old NiMH packs I've had nothing to power it anyway, as I don't fancy discharging my faithful lipos and ruining them.

I really need a big-wheel truck back in my life again, so this winter will involve rebuilding it from the ground up, junking the overweight TXT chassis in favour of something lean, leaving plenty of space low-down for a 4s lipo (or two 2s lipos). I've got a new set of Traxxas Titan motors to go right in (reverse-timed motor is awesome!) but what I don't have is a lipo-ready speed controller.

I don't really want to blow a month's wages on something crazy, I don't need all sorts of advanced features - all I need is dual motor outputs, lipo cutoff and up to 4s power. The standard Traxxas EVX2 is probably perfect but UK prices are high - although I could consider importing from the US, some sellers seem to be breaking them out of new models for less than half UK prices.

Anything else worth considering?

An MSC will handle the voltage as long as you don't run it in 1st or 2nd speed for too long. :) Combine it with a cheapo LiPo alarm and you're good to go ;)

On a more sensible note I would look at what Hobbywing have to offer. They are good quality products at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

I use a hobywing quickrun WP-860-DUAL-BRUSHED but I only run 2S but it says 4s see specks on page linked.

I just got one and there cheap also and work good and are waterproof

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191660823986?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

also how are you running the traxxas titan 12 motors those have timing one will be faster and fighting the other gearbox that will be slower from the timed motors?

http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=300

So my 14.4v Clod/TXT Hybrid has spent the last few years in pieces after breaking yet more ball ends, and since I've thrown out all my dodgy old NiMH packs I've had nothing to power it anyway, as I don't fancy discharging my faithful lipos and ruining them.

I really need a big-wheel truck back in my life again, so this winter will involve rebuilding it from the ground up, junking the overweight TXT chassis in favour of something lean, leaving plenty of space low-down for a 4s lipo (or two 2s lipos). I've got a new set of Traxxas Titan motors to go right in (reverse-timed motor is awesome!) but what I don't have is a lipo-ready speed controller.

I don't really want to blow a month's wages on something crazy, I don't need all sorts of advanced features - all I need is dual motor outputs, lipo cutoff and up to 4s power. The standard Traxxas EVX2 is probably perfect but UK prices are high - although I could consider importing from the US, some sellers seem to be breaking them out of new models for less than half UK prices.

Anything else worth considering?

I use a hobywing quickrun WP-860-DUAL-BRUSHED but I only run 2S but it says 4s see specks on page linked.

I just got one and there cheap also and work good and are waterproof

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191660823986?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

also how are you running the traxxas titan 12 motors those have timing one will be faster and fighting the other gearbox that will be slower from the timed motors?

The WP-860 shows 4s but the turn limit is effectively doubled, so it can only run 24T under 4s, although can run 12T under 2s. I can't see another Hobbywing that seems to fit the bill as the rest are brushless.

The Traxxas speedo might be the only viable option, as it does all this as standard.

The Titan motors come in forward and reverse variety - the E-Revo has one motor mounted in reverse, so it's reverse-timed and available as an option spare :)

The WP-860 shows 4s but the turn limit is effectively doubled, so it can only run 24T under 4s, although can run 12T under 2s. I can't see another Hobbywing that seems to fit the bill as the rest are brushless.

The Traxxas speedo might be the only viable option, as it does all this as standard.

The Titan motors come in forward and reverse variety - the E-Revo has one motor mounted in reverse, so it's reverse-timed and available as an option spare :)

yes I forgot about that, one thing though the titan 550 I don't think it's actually a 12 turn motor do some research and searching if you purchased a normal 12 turn motor and a titan 12 and you put each motor in like a B4 buggy and tested the speed a normal 12 turn motor will blow it away.

Thanks for that info Shenloco - I will do a bit more checking on the motor specs, maybe I'm wrong about it being 12 turn or maybe they're not wound like a regular 12 turn motor. The WP-860 might be fine to push the Titans on 4s after all :)

I don't know why you want to run the 12 turns on 4S that will be so fast your clod will break like crazy it will be fast on 2S with them motors... I know guy's run 3S on two stock 540 silver cans and they say it's fast.. 4S on the titan 12 motors that's crazy!

Thanks for that info Shenloco - I will do a bit more checking on the motor specs, maybe I'm wrong about it being 12 turn or maybe they're not wound like a regular 12 turn motor. The WP-860 might be fine to push the Titans on 4s after all :)

The 21t Titans come in forward and reverse timing, (and are more than fast enough in 4s), I think the 12t Titan only comes with advanced timing.

The 21t Titans come in forward and reverse timing, (and are more than fast enough in 4s), I think the 12t Titan only comes with advanced timing.

That's what I thought the 12 turn version was used on stampedes and rustlers and stuff and the big trucks came with special titans?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-3975-Titan-550-Size-Motor-21T-14-Volts-1-10-E-Revo-Brushed-/131158287874?hash=item1e89a4a602