Sign in to follow this  
WillS

Spur Gear / Drive Gear Set for re re Frog

Hi

I am after advice / link to the best place to pick up re release frog gear set.

I need the high torque set up for the spur and drive gears and the c ring and bearings.

I am in the uk.

Also, can anyone confirm if the re re frog spur gear is suitable for use with the original frog drive gear set up?

Thanks.

The gears are the same - original & re-re . The original drive gear was brass , the re-re is alu. Brass / alu. gears available on Ebay as are the nylon & pinion gear sets . Buy a steel pinion gear to your spec as they last longer

The gears are the same - original & re-re . The original drive gear was brass , the re-re is alu. Brass / alu. gears available on Ebay as are the nylon & pinion gear sets . Buy a steel pinion gear to your spec as they last longer

Thanks.

My original drive gear and counter gear are both nylon. Was there different releases of the original?

Thanks.

My original drive gear and counter gear are both nylon. Was there different releases of the original?

By "drive" gear, he means the small "lay" gear that attaches in the center of the "Spur" gear... Its the one you need the C-Ring for...

There is a version of the Brat Tranny that doesn't have the beveled "Diff" gears... Its called the "posi-gear" set...

Terry

I know what he means . All the gears are the same - original and re-re as I said earlier . The Brass drive gear is re-released in Alu , it's all detailed in the original and re-re manuals

The gears are the same - original & re-re . The original drive gear was brass , the re-re is alu.

All the gears are the same - original and re-re as I said earlier . The Brass drive gear is re-released in Alu

You keep saying "they're the same", then explaining that they are different :P

But I know what you mean Kev. They're the same size, teeth, pitch.

Though being made out of two entirely different metals, gives them different weight and wear characteristics. So, they are different.

If you want to stick to old school, original Frog spec for nostalgia - get the brass.

If you want reissue Frog spec - get the lighter aluminium.

I believe the older plastic gears are identifiable from the reissue plastic gears as well - maybe a different colour or nylon compound. I'd have to check. Original gears often have an off-white colour. I believe the old catalogues described them as being made from "Delrin".

Wherease reissue stuff tends to be a more bright white material. So again, if you're a nostalgia buff, you might enjoy making sure every piece is 1980s-issue. Alternatively, the choice is yours.

....and my original drive gear is definitely plastic!

I can post a pic when I open the gear box this weekend.

I have ordered a new gear set including brass drive gear and clip. Thanks all.

The drive gear could be from a Brat / wild one / monster beetle. Will have some lettering on the gear.

as kev says the frog had the gear set (but are different colours)

The drive gear could be from a Brat / wild one / monster beetle. Will have some lettering on the gear.

as kev says the frog had the gear set (but are different colours)

I'll check.

The model is all original as it came out of the box in Christmas morning 1985.

Been in parents attic for the last 25 years.

Nice one Will . When the parts arrive you will be good to go . The confusion seems to be in the 'terms' / 'names' used for the gears here . The Tamiya Frog manual names the brass gear K1 as the drive gear , then you have a plastic diff. spur gear J1 which the drive gear sits in and is retained by the 'wire ring' (as per manual) and 3 different diameter / ratio plastic gears J2,3 & 4 to use with different pinion gears . My original answer was to say the re-re gears will fit into an original gearbox as they are the same design as the original . I'll say no more

Thorp diff and dog bones arrived today.

The diff is quite tight to turn. Is this ok?

Also, hoping the stock counter and drive gear works with this hop up!

Thorp diff and dog bones arrived today.

The diff is quite tight to turn. Is this ok?

Also, hoping the stock counter and drive gear works with this hop up!

Mine was almost impossible to turn. I soaked it in dish-soap and warm water for about 30 min. and attacked it with an old toothbrush. I eventually got the dried up grease out of the "cup" and was able to access the socket screw that holds it together...

I got it apart, cleaned all the old grease off with some 3-in-1 oil, and then reassembled with new Bearing Grease...

Now it is quite a bit easier to turn, maybe too easy...

I just got the new Thorp Pinion today (like 30min. ago actually), so I'll try it out this afternoon (if it doesn't rain)... More than likely, mine is now too loose and will need to be tightened up...

Take some pix for us! Here's my unit: http://jpegbay.com/gallery/004710748-1.html#1

Terry

Mine was almost impossible to turn. I soaked it in dish-soap and warm water for about 30 min. and attacked it with an old toothbrush. I eventually got the dried up grease out of the "cup" and was able to access the socket screw that holds it together...

I got it apart, cleaned all the old grease off with some 3-in-1 oil, and then reassembled with new Bearing Grease...

Now it is quite a bit easier to turn, maybe too easy...

I just got the new Thorp Pinion today (like 30min. ago actually), so I'll try it out this afternoon (if it doesn't rain)... More than likely, mine is now too loose and will need to be tightened up...

Take some pix for us! Here's my unit: http://jpegbay.com/gallery/004710748-1.html#1

Terry

I'll try and post some pics at the weekend. Having a bit of trouble uploading pics from phone using tapatalk. Not as easy as other forums.

I see you have the thorp counter gear. I guess I'll find out soon enough if mine is ok with the stock drive and counter.

I have new bearings, brass drive, counter and steel 16t pinion coming soon so I can try the Superstock BZ!

http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/wills7402/library/Mobile%20Uploads/The%20Frog

Hopefully this link will work..

Discovered the drive and content gear in my original frog is a single piece and is marked 'Blackfoot'! See pics.

Got my Thorp diff and dog bones and Tamiya BZ installed. The Frog goes like a rocket.

Took a bit of trial and error to get the diff just the right tightness. Kept slipping to begin with.

Also, slight issue with the 'loose' side of the diff. The side where the cup and shaft can be pushed in or pulled out of the diff. The cup and shaft can be quite easily pulled out even when the dog bones etc are assembled. Do I need a spacer or something in the cup to help keep the dog bones tight and stop the cup and shaft pulling out of the diff? Sorry probably not explaining this very well. Will try and take a picture.

Will

It says Blackfoot on it, so it's the 1 piece spur/drive gear for use with the Blackfoot and Monster Beetle. It has 52 teeth, same as the smallest gear ratio in the Frog (which came with 49T/19T high speed, 50T/18T standard gear, 52T/16T low speed gear ratios), for use with the smaller pinion on the BF/MB giving a gearing ratio suitable for the larger monster truck tires.

- J

Also, slight issue with the 'loose' side of the diff. The side where the cup and shaft can be pushed in or pulled out of the diff. The cup and shaft can be quite easily pulled out even when the dog bones etc are assembled. Do I need a spacer or something in the cup to help keep the dog bones tight and stop the cup and shaft pulling out of the diff?

Mine holds together well when inserted into place with the white bearing holder. Albeit, I had to give my hex nut a good whack with the handle of my screwdriver to get it to fit all the way down and now it doesn't want to come off... If your hex nut is loose, I would put a spot of thread-lock in your hex and lock it into place???

[ETA - the fact that you can take your left side out might be a good thing??? That means you can adjust the diff w/o having the take your gear box apart... Mine isn't going anywhere, so to access the socket screw, I need to remove the entire left side...]

I had to shim my counter gear. It was loose when inserted into place... I also find that the 13t pinion makes my motor sit so that the right side rear suspension arm strikes the motor... I'll have to go with a bigger pinion... Next pay-day...

Terry

Quick question guys,

My diff is pretty stiff on my Frog. Was it supposed to be this way? The tires do counterspin, but not freely like all my other cars.