beefmuffin

Madcap / Astute Front Tire ID Help

Hello oh ye Elders of the Internet (IT Crowd joke), I am hoping someone can help me unravel a mystery. I've had several Madcaps now, and have an Astute underway, and as we all know the narrow front 2WD stud-spike tires are rare, and there are a couple hop-up options like the rib-spiked. Somewhere along the way I came into 2 pair of tires that I imagine must be a hop-up option or from an unknown kit which not only fit the Madcap dish wheels and Astute lightweight wheels but are a much cooler match to the rear stud-spike tires. They have "Tamiya Cactus Tire" embossed on the sidewalls and the studs are an exact match to those on the rear tires, as opposed to the stock tires where they are smaller.

I put together the composite pic below showing the tires I'm referring to on the chassis on top, labelled "B" while the stock tires are on the chassis on the bottom, labelled "A". Does anyone know anything about these mystery tires??

21964748208_c735325704_o.png

For the avoidance of doubt, here is a better angle to see that these are definitely not regular Narrow Hybrid Spiked, which have a 2-3-2-3 stud pattern -- these have a 1-2-1-2 pattern:

21822243332_a0f83df4ea_h.jpg

• Like 1

NO ONE knows anything? Even speculation would be helpful! Don't let the Beefman down. The Beefman loves you.

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-507-01.

Can you post a clean picture of the Cactus tire so the lettering shows in detail? The bottom pic is dark and I can only see "Tamiya" in outline font.

Are the Cactus tires actually made by Tamiya? Does the font/style look like Tamiya made them?

If so, surely one of the Tamiya RC Guidebooks would have them in the back where the parts and options are pictured.

I have a set of A tires on my restored Saint Dragon. Never seen the B's before. Maybe a MK1 version of the Astute or Madcap had them?

• Like 1

very interesting, Madcap/Astute front are 1-2 spikes Supergripper the 2-3 are the Avante/egress /4wd fronts, the only diffrence i see is that the Cactus version have the same base as the rear (the spike has the step) very interesting to see this, as i have a few pairs on NIP Madcap fronts but never seen yours and especially with this Cactus wording, very interested to hear what folks have to say about them.

• Like 1

Can you post a clean picture of the Cactus tire so the lettering shows in detail? The bottom pic is dark and I can only see "Tamiya" in outline font.

Are the Cactus tires actually made by Tamiya? Does the font/style look like Tamiya made them?

If so, surely one of the Tamiya RC Guidebooks would have them in the back where the parts and options are pictured.

I have a set of A tires on my restored Saint Dragon. Never seen the B's before. Maybe a MK1 version of the Astute or Madcap had them?

Will do over this weekend - thanks!

very interesting, Madcap/Astute front are 1-2 spikes Supergripper the 2-3 are the Avante/egress /4wd fronts, the only diffrence i see is that the Cactus version have the same base as the rear (the spike has the step) very interesting to see this, as i have a few pairs on NIP Madcap fronts but never seen yours and especially with this Cactus wording, very interested to hear what folks have to say about them.

Me too!

I've used such tyres on the Madcap featured in the first issue of my magazine.

They come from a QD toy, the Baja King (which is completely different from the Baja King we all know)

• Like 3

They come from a QD toy, the Baja King (which is completely different from the Baja King we all know)

WOW - you're right! Why would they put better tires on a QD than so many 58- series buggies???

22260701341_e5be801ce9_o.jpg

041.jpg

• Like 2

I want them. Do you know the spare numbers?

Max

Yeah Max, look in the victor101 link...

• Like 1

Out of stock... i want them too

Out of stock!

Doh!

Max

tamiyausa.com has them in stock for $12 per set of 4x wheels + tires (!) don't buy them out before i get a couple sets ordered!

tamiyausa.com has them in stock for $12 per set of 4x wheels + tires (!) don't buy them out before i get a couple sets ordered!

HEY YOU GUYS! You were supposed to save a set for me!! :angry::(:lol: (tamiyausa.com all sold out now)

HEY YOU GUYS! You were supposed to save a set for me!! :angry::(:lol: (tamiyausa.com all sold out now)

That's why I'm not posting anymore project threads. LOL

• Like 1

Hey Rick - do you have a copy of or a link to your Madcap article??