KalEl63

Project Blitzermog

So I have been racing for a while now and semi turned my back on my love for everything Tamiya including selling off some of my collection to fund my racing.

That was until now and that I have come full circle and my racing has died off a bit now.

The focus shift back to Tamiya started with the purchase of my Frog which is now complete so next project is now in action.

I decided I wanted to get a Blitzer Beetle again (after selling my original to a fellow TC member) but I wanted to try something different as I have never done this before.

Now I love the oddness of the Unimog and what Tamiya have on offer for them I like however they didnt fill what I wanted 100% and that is a buggy or stadium truck type kit if you will so I figured a Blitzer Beetle kit and a Unimog body should cut the mustard therefore Project Blitzermog was born.

I have put a bit of thought into this and not sure exactly how the body mounting will go but once I get to that point I guess Ill figure that out.

I am still waiting for the body to arrive hopefully in the next week or two.

The paint colour of the body I have not figured out yet and have been switching between some colours like Silver (Silver is my favourite colour) Orange and even a White.

I was also considering doing it in the most horrible colour Tamiya have but havent figured out what that colour is :D . I also considered a patina look but I dont have the talent to pull that off.

So any colour input people would like to put forward I will take on board.

I also wanted different wheels and after some Googling, make that a huge amount of Googling I found the wheels I wanted to put on it so purchased them before anything else :)

IMG_2638_zpsinmmv1cx.jpg

So I finally picked up the kit and have started the build.

IMG_2637_zpsq04ubk8d.jpg

Gearbox put together and motor mounted. I may eventually put a quicker motor in it but not sure yet.

IMG_2633_zpsyb741ko4.jpg

Rear arms put together

IMG_2634_zpshmcuyekh.jpg

Rear end now complete

IMG_2635_zpsrbwmigax.jpg

Next Ill move onto the front end once I get some time

• Like 3

So I got some time to do more on the build.

Now I have left some steps out like electrics as I don’t have them yet (except the ESC) as I need to order a few servos & RX’s etc for my other kits

Anyway what I have been up to.

Front bulkhead

IMG_2641_zpsfhxbk3aw.jpg

Front arms

IMG_2642_zpsxigxxq2i.jpg

Front end together

IMG_2643_zpsryn8ew3y.jpg

The chassis ready for the front and rear ends

IMG_2644_zpsxjtlkfst.jpg

Rear End attached

IMG_2645_zpsjavblh4a.jpg

Front End attached

IMG_2649_zpsjdvxhwnr.jpg

Now I couldn’t help myself and wanted to put the wheels on it to give me a feel of it.

IMG_2651_zpspvrjgrri.jpg

IMG_2652_zpstkqxlaaw.jpg

Now the rear wheels I had to use a low profile serrated nut and the front wheel it requires a little bit of shimming but my solution was rather simple in the end.

IMG_2650_zpsmcucoxux.jpg

And just for those who might want to see what it would sort of look like with the Beetle body on it

IMG_2655_zpsab7m9vzy.jpg

Next I will do the shocks and get it standing on its own feet then I just have to wait for the Unimog body to come in.

• Like 3

Ok so a little bit more has been done in that the shocks are built, it’s now standing on its own feet and the electrics are installed.

No just waiting on the body which hopefully should be here late next week (fingers crossed)

I’m also going to mess around with stealth body mounts depending on how the body lines up

IMG_2663_zps4qffdxna.jpg

IMG_2664_zpspqzahgbp.jpg

IMG_2717_zpstcs7ng7x.jpg

• Like 1

Just like a racer, to embrace that "cab-forward" look. ;)

Sounds interesting. Very curious to see what it looks like. As far as colors go, the only Unimog I've ever seen in person was mustard yellow, so that's what color they all are in my mind...

That looks cool. Last Unimog I saw was one that was used as a fire engine many years back, so naturally it was red, with lots of chrome. BTW, those wheels look awesome.

Ok so I’ve cut the Unimog body out so now to figure out how to mount it and at what height for wheel clearance (mainly with the front wheels)

I need to wait for the stealth mounts to arrive so see if they will work because I’m hoping to have a clean look with no body posts showing.

IMG_2754_zpsuc24gysz.jpg

• Like 1

Ok nothing really happening as I'm still waiting on the stealth body mounts although i have put the mounting posts on that I'll try first.

But more tot he point I'm stuck on the colour to paint this. I will be doing the standard blackouts on it as per the Unimog instructions but it's the rest of the body.

Now I have considered yellow (PS6) but I plan to paint my Hotshot in that colour.

Next was Metallic Orange (PS61) but i have that also planned for my Egress build

so now I'm not sure as I am trying to keep colour duplication's down to a minimum

Any input or ideas would be welcome and to be honest none will be dismissed as normally what I want is is in my head nearly straight away but this one, lets say I have colour block (much like writers block)

How about something in keeping with the blingy wheels, like maybe a metallic purple, or maybe one of the pearlescent range?

Now purple is one colour I hadn’t really thought about.

Anyway aside from my colour dilemma the stealth body mounts arrived so I have now mounted the body and I just have enough clearance with the front guards and wheels.

That’s if I can say a slight rub in full lock under full suspension depression is enough.

Anyway some pics below.

Stealth Mounts

IMG_2778_zpshfkkgxlp.jpg

Front mounts

IMG_2788_zps7o136lwi.jpg

Rear Mounts

IMG_2790_zps29dxm4nv.jpg

Body Mounted (temporally mounted)

IMG_2785_zpslq7m1pwq.jpg

IMG_2786_zpsdcho7ou1.jpg

Now I do have to decide if I mount the under body parts in the kit spot which leave the rear guards not really lining up with the wheels or move it back about 5mm to make it line up better. However this will require a little trimming of the body or the underbody part.

Standard spot

IMG_2783_zpsyzl3d9kg.jpg

Back about 5mm

IMG_2784_zpswgdkqjd7.jpg

I do have two carbon fibre body mount braces coming to hopefully hep keep them spaced right.

I may also have to work on bracing the front mounts a bit more to stop them from flipping side to side if the braces don’t help cure this.

Also thinking of getting the light kit for it.

Not sure if there is anything cheaper than the Tamiya kit or if I should just go with Tamiya and be done with it.

Overall thought really happy with it so far.

• Like 1

Here are the final pics to my now finished Blitzermog project.

I do still have a light kit I want to buy for it though.

Anyway the CF body mounts supports installed and these have help with the stability of the front post.

IMG_2804_zpspbpck7k6.jpg

Body masked and ready for paint.

IMG_2794_zps3gbxibyz.jpg

Body painted with a few coats of Tamiya Copper and then backed with black to bring the colour down a bit.

I decided not to do the blackouts as I wanted to try and give it a bit more of a “hot rod” feel.

IMG_2795_zpso0hphgr5.jpg

Decals on and the finished product.

IMG_2815_zpsvhoy8tsn.jpg

IMG_2817_zpsxgdjdzan.jpg

IMG_2818_zpsnlve1nqj.jpg

• Like 10

It looks awesome but that front grille bugs me, it's too bling! Can you paint the recessed bits in matt black to achieve a more realistic look? Too much chrome going on!

Outstanding work, though I agree with Chris..a black grille would looked better. Isn't there a darker grille to use on the decal sheet? I'm almost positive my CR01 Unimog kit had 2.

Am I correct in saying that the grille is a chromed moulding rather than part of the shell?

If so, a technique I found rather useful in such cases is to get a tiny dab of black acrylic paint and rub it into the grille, then wipe it off from the raised portions, leaving paint only in the depressions. This is far easier and neater than trying to use the supplied decals, that inevitably bubble or lift from the uneven surface of the moulding.

I used the technique to bring out the detail in my Alpine's headlights:

IMG_20140922_215041_zpsyl6xqtfw.jpg

Yeah I'm not sure about the grill myself but when in doubt I normally leave things until my mind is made up

I did consider doing a painstaking job of cutting each individual square out from the decal and sticking them in as I don't like the blanket approach Tamiya have with the decal.

The paint idea might be a good way to go. Did you use anything chemical wise to wipe so the chrome high parts come thru?

Nope, just a slightly damp tissue. The acrylic paint is water soluble when wet so it came off the chrome without chemicals.

Deblinged the grill using Xv Pilots method and it was simple actually. (nappy wipes are good for the wiping part)

Have to hit the headlight decals with the hair dryer again to get rid of the darts.

IMG_2833_zpswm33tk3m.jpg

• Like 7

Well done Dave, you had a vision, and have seen it through with creativity, good job!

Blitzermog rocks buddy!!!

• Like 1