Pintopower

Project...I don't even know what to call this thing....Hor-cha-hop?

And some more....

24588319946_af463cdbcf_b.jpg

I think the rest will need me to wait for the super champ body I want to use. I need to see what kind of clearances I am dealing with when I install the rear shocks.

• Like 5

Work can commence! I got the body I plan on using on this car and it fit even better than I had anticipated. Well, after I removed the nerf bars anyway:

24131777713_d66cfa0cd0_b.jpg

I am still planning on using nerf bars but they will need to be modified as I do not want to hack up the body on the vent area.

Anyway, with bars off for the time being, we are here:

24463092620_5c18fcde48_b.jpg

Front end looks great:

24130465034_5d90222628_b.jpg

I was worried that the rear of the body and the hornet chassis would actually hit but this was a pleasant surprise.

24131763303_84d914b76f_b.jpg

Now it is a mater of overlaying the image on the cage model and seeing how it looks:

24463309170_772616f321_o.jpg

Now I get to tweak the parts and make them look cool. We will see how that goes.

• Like 2

Great to see progress on this one. I find I really enjoy following your build/development threads, and this one is particularly intriguing. Can't wait to see where it goes!

One badword of a basher build you got there man! Would love to see a video of it running once your modifications are completed.

Well it sure WAS a basher. When this baby is all done I will have the super champ I always wanted. You bring up a good point, I really should have recorded it running before i took it apart. It was genuinely awesome.

Very nice! I thought about that rear end but want to stay as much Hornet as possible. I would love to see that project though. Message me if you still want that radio. I am making packages!

• Like 1

Very nice! I thought about that rear end but want to stay as much Hornet as possible. I would love to see that project though. Message me if you still want that radio. I am making packages!

Making packages, most people DISPOSE of their baby's diapers, not mail them. :D

WOW, how did I miss this mish mash of a car??? Oh yea, I don't get into the forums all that much and well, my life got a bit crazy when you started this post.

Input, those front nylon arms could likely be dyed RCH parts, and if they are not stripped on their grub screws, well let's just say you could buy quite a number of OE parts from a re re if you sold them off. I bet Emspjay would love that Lemans motor, if you still have it.

I have a front bumper just like that one that is more intact, but used if you want it, I can make you a package. B)

That just about does it with my two cents worth for now. I will keep looking in on this.

I printed out the cage proto. Ill test it tomorrow and then sort where the shocks will go.

24855215539_e22916e3fa.jpg

24592243254_534888272c.jpg

• Like 4

So Alberto, you want that front bumper or what?? I dig that cage, looking cool. What in the world is that control device in the second photo?? Looks like a massive stereo controller??

So Alberto, you want that front bumper or what?? I dig that cage, looking cool. What in the world is that control device in the second photo?? Looks like a massive stereo controller??

Thanks but I think I am going to make my own custom bumper to adapt the front end better. The device is a 3DConnexion Space Mouse that I use for cad. Ill take a batter pic.

I have installed the prototype rear brace. It is looking good so I think a few adjustments are in order and then Ill send it to shapeways for the final print.

Here is the new proto vs the old:

25122912512_cfcdefc68e_c.jpg

Installed

25241186705_e086a95fe3_c.jpg

Body test fit:

24610537644_e2eda86d12_c.jpg

Ill make final changes tomorrow and then figure out where to stuff shocks. I need to sort that to print out my new a-arms. More to follow

• Like 4

Looks amazing! The Super Champ body fits just great.

I'm not too familiar with 3D printing, but did it take a lot of filler material to get the cage spaced out in a frame like that? I'm hoping to get more into the 3D stuff. I can print out small parts and things like that for free at college in ABS material, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Looks amazing! The Super Champ body fits just great.

I'm not too familiar with 3D printing, but did it take a lot of filler material to get the cage spaced out in a frame like that? I'm hoping to get more into the 3D stuff. I can print out small parts and things like that for free at college in ABS material, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks! I needs tweaking and im afraid the body will get some mods to make it work but oh well.

As for filler or support material, YES. What you may not see well is that I broke the cage up to sides and some center bars. This means that it was very low to the print bed, costing about $35 to print and taking 4 hours. Had I left it as one piece with the printer at the office, it would have taken 12 hours and cost $170. When I print in ABS, it will be a solid piece and done at shapeways. They print in a bed of sand so the cost should be around $50.

The ABS is awesome. I used that for everything. It is tough as nails. What software are you using? For larger parts I encourage you to use Shapeways. Cheap and fast!

Oh wow. That's a big price (and time) difference for sure! That's a great idea for printing it in segments.

Awesome - good to hear. They have ABS and one other material that I can't remember. The ABS is free though, and I'm really glad it's tough as most of my ideas are for somewhat structural components. I'll be using SolidWorks - I use it at work quite a bit so I'm pretty comfortable with it. Can SW do the file conversion easily for 3D printing? Good to know about Shapeways. I'm hoping to start out with some small stuff first then move up from there.

Update. The car has rear wheels. To reduce wheel track I made clones of the stock wheels with much less offset. This will reduce rear track by 25mm. That's a lot. Now it wont look so funny. Now that that is done I can finish the rear shock mounts. 

27226554745_8009bc849c_z.jpg

They are no longer 3 piece wheels  and the diameter has been increased by 2mm for additional space for the arms at the rear. More to follow. 

• Like 3

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the rear arms and the cage from Shapeways. Now we will see if this will work. 

28236408574_9195bbd609_z.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

What material did you choose? 

Both the arms and the cage will be nylon. It is super tough and still has some flexibility. I have other non-structural parts that will be in the detail plastics. They all come in a couple weeks!

18 hours ago, kontemax said:

This is a really crazy project :D

Max

Just you wait...it's going to get even more insane. Part of me wishes I had not started it. 

8 hours ago, Pintopower said:

Just you wait...it's going to get even more insane. Part of me wishes I had not started it. 

I am most intrigued. How could it get more extreme than it is already? Are you remaking the SRB front end in sintered nylon perhaps?

15 hours ago, kontemax said:

This rear cage seems a piece of art decò... :D

Max

That's the truth. 

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I am most intrigued. How could it get more extreme than it is already? Are you remaking the SRB front end in sintered nylon perhaps?

No the arms are staying original but the front end mounting is changing. Not only that, but this thing might get an "operational" 4 cylinder engine. 

I saw a video on YT once where they showed a bunch of old American cars in Cuba, and all of the self-engineered things they did to keep them running for  all of these years. I think the car in the first post came from Cuba. :lol:

Nice work making it a usable car again.