Sandster

I think I have a mk1 hotshot on the way to me

Since I got back into Tamiya rc cars I have had a list of “must have” cars to get. I have most of the models on this list but I still keep my eyes open for a vintage sand scorcher, terra scorcher and hotshot coming up for a decent price to add to my collection.

Now I was only ever aware of two models of hotshot – the original and the rere and I wanted the original. Now during my research into all things hotshot I came across a number of posts by crash cramer, wandy and c_smith talking about a “mk1” hotshot and the differences between this and the later more common version. As much as I loved reading about this “mk1” and liking the rake of the front bumper much more than the standard one, I assumed that they would be too rare or too expensive for me to find one at a reasonable price so I just kept searching for a decent vintage hotshot that needs some work for a decent price.

Fast forward to last week and a vintage hotshot that had been “upgraded” to what I am assuming is supershot front suspension caught my eye. From the photos, it was missing its rear wing and had no rear suspension attached but the auction was at £41 so I had a closer look. This is when I noticed the three little holes in the front bumper and this made me decide that this was the model for me and unless the auction got to silly prices I would buy it. I was worried that the seller might get an offer for it outwith eBay so emailed him and asked that if this did happen to give me that chance of offering too. He replied saying that he had received a lot of interest in the car and was curious to see how the auction went. I thanked him for this and told him I would bid at the end of the auction.

Anyway I won the auction for £92 + postage so it cost me a little under £100 and it is on its way to me. I plan on trying my very best to restore this to as good as new as I can using new parts (so long as they are identical to the original mk1 parts). There is a tub of parts that comes with the car and this includes the hotshot antiroll bar and front and rear suspension but I am not sure if they are original or not. Perhaps some of the experts on here can advise?

At the end of the day, if it turns out that this isn’t a genuine mk1 I won’t be too disappointed as I don’t think I have paid too much over the odds for an original hotshot anyway.

The auction number is 281821046167 if anybody wants to have a look.

I will be keeping this thread updated with progress but unfortunately, once it is delivered, my wife is putting it away for my birthday so it will be 12 days before I get my hands on it for a proper inspection.

Yep, it's a Mk1 bumper. Congrats on the find. You will also need to check other parts though.

Below is a summary (using my fussy models, release, variants breakdown)....

(Note: All "Release" values below are simply "Tamiya" in this example. For contrast, vintage Kyosho models were often sold under other brands in other countries, hence the purpose of "Release").

Model: "Hotshot" #58047

Release: Tamiya

Variant: Mk1

Short-lived initial variant with some unique parts (mainly around the front end).

Variant: Mk2

Same as Mk1, except for changes to these areas: Bumper, Skid plate, Front Gearbox Housings, Front Bumper Stay, Front Uprights, Front Ball Connectors, Front Driveshafts, Roof, Manual, Metal Gearbox guard.

Variant: Mk3

Same as Mk2, except for change to 1 area: Resistors no longer sit "loose" inside heat sinks, and are now molded in as one piece.

Footnote...

Reissue Hotshot is a whole new model with a new Tamiya model number.

Model: "Hotshot" #58391

Variant: N/A (only one type exists)

New Tamiya model with new Tamiya model number, and loads of differences to any #58047 model.

Please correct me if I've missed anything, Hotshot Mk1 nerds ;)

To actually figure out the Mk1 parts, start here. It covers several of them.

My impression of the car you won, is that it looks old and used, has old school bits, and probably is free of any #58391 parts. Just seems like someone's back-shed Tamiya from back in the day, like most used ones still are.

If you want to keep your restoration original (thereby maintaining it's collectability value), use only original parts.

If you want it to be a pure Mk1 (and some bits are missing), take your time and be patient ^_^

NICE FIND! I've had numerous occasions of harvesting tranny parts from old Hotshots and finding that they don't fit together correctly. It can be super frustrating. Whatever you do keep all the gears, washers, bearings, driveshafts, outdrives, etc together. Once they get mixed up with others it will be a royal PITA to sort out.

Also add the rear Metal Gearbox guard, the stronger Rear Gearbox Housings, the H.P Suspension Kit compatibles Rear Lower Arms and the thicker Spur gear.

Max

Variant: Mk2
Same as Mk1, except for changes to 9 key areas: Bumper, Skid plate, Front Gearbox Housings, Front Bumper Stay, Front Uprights, Front Ball Connectors, Front Driveshafts, Roof, Manual.

Thanks for the info. I am just hoping that all the exclusive mk1 parts are there and serviceable because all the rest will be pretty easy to source.

Also add the.........thicker spur gear.

Explain please? This is a new addition to me.

Also, I am yet to see anyone supply photographic evidence of a difference in the structure of the rear gearboxes....

Tbh, I followed your posts with my initial list, Wandy.

So if Max's info turns out to be something he made up (or dreamed up), I will amend my earlier post ;)

Just kidding Max.

But I will amend if you fail to provide proof ;) I personally have never seen any of the differences Max mentioned.

The Mk1 Spur Gear was thinned than the "normal" spur gear.

I can't give you photographic support because this spur gear is currently inside my Boomerang runner.

I could make some picture of the rear gearbox.

Max

Explain please? This is a new addition to me.

Also, I am yet to see anyone supply photographic evidence of a difference in the structure of the rear gearboxes....

I'll try to give you some proof.

Max

Tbh, I followed your posts with my initial list, Wandy.

So if Max's info turns out to be something he made up (or dreamed up), I will amend my earlier post ;)

Just kidding Max.

But I will amend if you fail to provide proof ;) I personally have never seen any of the differences Max mentioned.

I will finally be getting my hands on the car on Sunday. It has been delivered and my wife has hidden it away till my Birthday. I will be sure to take detailed pics of all these parts and hopefully we can identify if they are all Mk1 parts or not.

Well, I finally got my hands on the Hotshot yesterday and spent the day tearing it apart and cleaning it.

the good news is the bumper, underguard, rear gearbox and resistors are all original Mk1 parts. The bad news is the front gearbox (and metal hexagonal bumper fixing) has been replaced a later version and front lower arms have been replaced with supershot ones (as it had been converted to supershot suspension).

I have taken pictures of it all and will try to upload later.

Now bits I need to replace are:

Rear lower arms - both have severe cracks where they mount to the gearbox - are these the same as the mk2 or re-release?

Front upper arms - one is cracked - are these the same as the mk2 or re-release?

Triangular wheel hubs - 2 are cracked

Shock absorber end caps (the bit that allows adjustment) - both are cracked

Rear wing and attachment

Rear suspension lower red plastic (E6) - broken

1 front stabilizer bracket - broken

All in all I am happy with the purchase and the car looks great with the rake of the front bumper. I am a bit disappointed that the front gearbox inst original but I will keep my eyes peeled for one for sale (however unlikely).

If anyone can help out with the suspension arms I need to buy please advise. I would like to restore it to how it was when new but don't mind using rere parts so long as they are are the same.

If I get a chance I will upload the pics tonight.

• Like 1

If I get a chance I will upload the pics tonight.

It's ok, i'll use my imagination...

You know how much I love a vintage restoration, post some PICS!!!! :lol:

It's ok, i'll use my imagination...

You know how much I love a vintage restoration, post some PICS!!!! :lol:

Haha, I'm trying. My mother in law is staying with us at the moment so getting into the (my) spare room to use the (my) computer is a tricky at the moment. Lol

And here is how she looks now. I think the presence of the holes in the front bumper and the floating resistors show that it was once a genuine mk1 model but unfortunately the front gearbox and lower arms seem to have been replaced at some point in the past. This means the front bumper isn't a great fit and I will probably have to put on a later bumper till I find an original gearbox (however unlikely that may be). I may even try to modify the gearbox case so the bumper fits properly. It seems a shame not to have it on show with the correct bumper.

60D9C98E-7FCC-457A-B5F4-9C106B128030_zps

9BACF694-B737-4953-9062-71C842F114AB_zps

E3DEA3E6-B20C-4B5A-9239-EC439DA99543_zps

20C21CB4-51B3-4335-BB46-94F2BA31241C_zps

• Like 2

I think the presence of the holes in the front bumper and the floating resistors show that it was once a genuine mk1 model

Just FYI, the floating resistors were included in both Mk1 and Mk2. I think their onset represents a Mk3, so I'm sticking with that for now.

Also, no proof from Kontemax yet about his additional differences between Mk1 and Mk2, so I've edited my earlier post.

Sorry for the lack of updates on this project. It has been slowly moving along.

First thing was to source some period correct parts to start the restoration. I got this lot from Tamiyabigstuff.

image_zps95vnajw2.jpeg

So now the front end is complete and original.

image_zpsddipe8v7.jpeg

I have also polished up the anti-roll bars and resistors.

image_zpsegdokljo.jpeg

image_zpscicyivtt.jpeg

That's as far as I have gotten so far. I have a donor car on the way to me that has an original mk1 gearbox and bumper stay and a rear wing so hopefully I will get the car completed soon after Christmas.

I can't decide whether to stick with the standard white wheels that came with the car or go for the gold ones that are shown on the box art.

• Like 3

To assist with your decision!

This is the resto I did about a year ago or so. Re-re body with some vintage decals in place (original was black)

E5AB7A00-2046-44BD-9E09-317C9F0AB28A_zps

90AE27CB-CF9B-4C38-8D4D-C1D1C780D825_zps

I did a restoration of one of my MK1's not so Long ago. Here you can see the resto threat: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73032&hl=

And in the mean time there are 5 Mk1's in my cabinets. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=124779&sid=108

The body shell are same in general, decals are most significant difference.

• Like 1