Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

How does the Egress run?

I've been debating getting a vintage or re-re Egress as a runner. Back in the late 80's I had a Vanquish but can't quite remember how it ran. What's an Egress like as a runner? Is it a rewarding/fun experience? I idolized the Egress (and Avante) back then as the ultimate in Tamiya performance. I run strictly vintage/re-re vehicles now as newer ones just don't invoke any passion in how they go about their business. Thanks for any insight.

I ikke the Egress very much. Here is a bad movie of mine in action

Fun little vid mate, Are those mini pins your running there on loose gravel? Seems to answer the question of how it performs :) pulls through the turns nicely ;) I have to admit the Egress is my favorite super buggy :wub: 1988-1989 Avante-Vanquish-Egress :o Although the Vanquish didn't get the FRP chassis these are very cool buggies :D

Fun little vid mate, Are those mini pins your running there on loose gravel? Seems to answer the question of how it performs :) pulls through the turns nicely ;)

Yeah :-) didn't want to use the hybrid tires.

Very nice gravel pit you have there Bjorklo.

Me neither on the hybrids, mini pins are good for running the old guys.

IMG_20150301_163930.jpg

DSC01188.jpg

but Spikes look better on the shelve.

upload_-1.jpg

• Like 2

I find the DF03 High-Density K tires are great hard bashing tires for mixed surfaces. Especially if you run on tarmac. They are so hard they last forever, and traction is not really an issue with 4WD. Plus the low squared off sidewalls look really cool. Tamiya also made a softer "C" (competition) version, but I've never actually tried those.

As for the handling of the Egress, I imagine it's quite good. I run a Vanquish with triple ball diffs, and it's quite fun & unique. As with any 4WD, how rewarding they are to drive MOSTLY depends on your diff setup. The vintage version of the ball diffs are quite difficult to build with any sort of consistency. Though it does make for a fun challenge if you enjoy building as much as running. The egress also conveniently provides you with two options for center driver (locked and one-way). These two options provide completely different driving experiences. This too will prove a fun before & after exercise if you enjoy wrenching in the field and having multiple runs with the same car.

Additionally the Egress, and any Avante series, make for very fun & unique builds. There are no other cars quite like them.

• Like 1

Run mine with a brushless sensorless 9t and its quick, too quick in fact, it grips too much and high sides on grass (my cougars sv2 drifts nicely at higher speeds). A result I fear of it being a bit over sprung. But that said its good when driven in its limits.

Personally I would steer away from overpowering a car with no slipper. 23T or 13.5T will be enough. Your diffs will thank you. Even still, if you enjoy working on these cars, then no worries.

Its so tempting but sooo expensive. I never ran my Avante re-re because it was such a work of art. I'm afraid I might do the same with the Egress once completed. I also have a pile of parts to start putting together a semi-Top Force Evo clone but the Egress is just more unique.

There is nothing wrong with running one when parts are plentiful. Anything you can damage or break, you can easily fix. The problems begin when parts supplies dry up. Buy the car, build it, run it, start collecting various parts you may want for a restoration further down the line.

There seems little point in owning a re-release if you have never driven it. They will have so much more meaning & memories for you later on.

• Like 2

My egress is a blast to drive with a sensored 8.5 in it. No problems with diffs and it's been run a lot!