Sign in to follow this  
samjones

Tamiya 58224 Peugeot 306 Maxi WRC Shelf Queen

I've always loved the Peugeot 306 Maxi. It looks great and sounds fantastic!

Tamiya's recreation is perfect and I thought how I just had to have one!

After searching for a car for a while I found a kit without a body on eBay.

From the pictures, the car looked in reasonable condition, but far from mint.

It arrived a few days later and I was pleasantly surprised by what I found under all the grime!

image_zpsnlxx9glc.jpeg

image_zpsk0v2scwz.jpeg

image_zpsdqrnfyyz.jpeg

As soon as I got my hands on it, I took it apart.

It was in fantastic condition and looked hardly used.

It was as if it was used many years ago a few times, and put on a shelf to collect grime!

I added many new parts from my M03 spares box.

New Tamiya diff, new Bearings throughout, new shafts from diff to wheel, new steering hubs, new ball joints, new servo saver, new battery trays, new rear hubs, new rear axles to name a few of the parts added to the FF02 chassis.

I took out the ugly manual speed controller and added a new TEU-104BK which is definitely more pleasing to the eye!

The car also had Acoms radio gear and silver can motor.

image_zps8zmxwoye.jpeg

I noticed that the beautiful Speedline wheels had yellowed, so I plan to replace those in the future.

Perhaps with a set from the FF03 Honda Accord Aero-Custom?

For the chassis, I obviously needed a body.

£65 for a Maxi body on eBay I feel is rather excessive, so I didn't want to pay that!

After surfing the Internet, I emailed Stella Models to see if they had one.

They managed to find one for me and I payed a far more reasonable price.

Fantastic service from Stella Models, and it arrived in just over a week from Hong Kong!

image_zpsjjcmgppp.jpeg

image_zps8mvcvbl7.jpeg

image_zpsngshnwyz.jpeg

Now I just need to get the body painted and the new wheels bought.

It should be finished soon, so I will update the thread when it is complete.

Expect a lot of photos!

Thanks

Sam

• Like 4

Love these. I've got one in progress, painted but not stickered yet. I picked up the last body Tamico had in along with an FF-03 Pro chassis. Couldn't find the wheels so got the same design in grey which I've painted white.

Look forward to seeing yours done!

I too really like this model, having had 306s as my first cars!

I had a 1.8XS, 2.0 GTi6, 1.8 Cabriolet and finally a 2.0 Diesel HDi. Loved them all to bits!

Much like Norris I have a painted body, but I'm afraid of the job of placing the decals. My chassis is built and I have fitted the GPM parts previously on my TL01, as this is likely to be a shelf queen anyway.

IMGP0573.jpg

Glad to say that the body is now painted and has come out fantastic!

I hope you guys like it! Just time to get a new set of wheels and tyres!

image_zpsxgjlmcri.jpeg

image_zpsqb6psr6i.jpeg

image_zps22pomkdy.jpeg

• Like 4

Fantastic 306, brilliant job on the shell. I remember back in the day when subaru were one of the best at rallying and colin Mcrae was driving and he said in an interview we can't touch the 306 on the tarmac stages. I had a 306 in the past too and loved the dimma kits for the road cars. You've made me want to get one of these kits now. :lol:

• Like 1

Looks great!

You could try bleach on the old wheels to get rid of the yellowing. Haven't tried it myself but I have read that it works well.

Looks great!

You could try bleach on the old wheels to get rid of the yellowing. Haven't tried it myself but I have read that it works well.

I'm going to try this as I have spare set of the speedline decals that go on the wheels. I still prefer the 50732 wheels for this car though. Some people who run real 306 Maxis run the same style rim and I think it looks great!

image_zpssuvqw5du.jpeg

• Like 1

Top job. Mine is still sat on top the wardrobe, outer film still on the bodyshell, no further progress. Really need to pull my finger out - more importantly - find the spoiler! Would you believe I have already managed to lose the H parts once, bought new ones, still haven't finished?!!

Tried the 60D Tamiya wheels from my M05 on the Maxi. I don't think they look that bad! The 50732 wheels just seem to be a 'touring car' sized version of these.

IMG_3361_zpsvfts5jvi.jpg

• Like 1

Nice!!! B) They look much more in proportion than the 60D ones which are a similar design that you tried.

All my rc are off road. This makes me want one of these now.

Great find, comgratulations getting all the bits together,looks like a nice example chassis and woth a new shell, perfect.

I love rally cars and used to stand on the stages watching a few world rallies, I remember Francoise Delecour racing this about back in the day!

Ps, another Kent owner here, that's a handfull of us now lol!

Looks great! :D

Hall of mirrors!

306-maxi-monitor.jpg

Chris, what are you planning to do for light buckets? I've also masked mine off but not found anything suitable yet.

• Like 2

Z-Tune items are as good as I've found, unpainted of course. They fit to a degree, but there may be better out there! I'll get a picture up.

First I need to try and remove some paint which has bled underneath the masking on the headlight :( what is the best option for small treatment areas like that? I don't have any of the pukka Tamiya stuff :(

Edit to add: these stickers are making me re-evaluate my abilities! Aargh I'm only 8 stickers in too!

I use a cotton bud or toothpick and isopropyl alchohol but I'm using water based paint so not sure if it'll work on the paint you may be using. For the decals use the soapy water method as in recent thread if you don't already!

I am using soapy water, hairdryer, all the right gear - but the contours of the decals around the headlights are really testing! It can only get easier from here on in...

• Like 1

Z-Tune items are as good as I've found, unpainted of course. They fit to a degree, but there may be better out there! I'll get a picture up.

Don't worry about the pic, I tried those. They fit well but to me don't look quite right with the twin bulbs, they are also a bit too crystal clear if that makes sense? Better than stickers though I guess! I'll let you know if I find anything more suitable :)