Hi Guys,

I am new to the forums and have recently gotten back into RC.

A couple of months ago I bought myself a Tamiya TT-01E and turned it into a drift car. Upgraded Alu. Shocks, Adjustable Suspension, fast servo. I love it.

But I wanted to try something different.

So last week I bought myself the Tamiya GF-01 Land Cruiser 40 Kit. I assembled it over the weekend and gave it a try. It is a blast to drive.

I have been doing some research and have not found many hop-ups. I know that it shares a lot with the WR-02 chassis.

Any advice on what to start with?

It doesn't need a lot tbh.

Full bearings and a steel pinion are the basics for reliability, and 65mm oil shocks can help tame some of the bouncy nature.

Otherwise it's a mix of WR-02 and TL-01 bits. Tamiya make an alloy wheelie-bar wheel, alloy gearbox brace, and CVD's. There was an adjustable upper arm set for the TL-01/WR-02 but they seem pretty rare now.

Various manufacturers make heat-sinks, motor guards, alloy wheelie bars, shock mounts, C-hubs, knuckles etc. There are quite a number of (non-Tamiya) hop-ups for the WR-02, most will fit your GF-01.

All available from Tamiya (except pinion), not necessarily in this order

- Ballbearings

- steel pinion

- alloy wheelie wheel

- alloy steering arm

- alloy servo mount

- alloy hexes

- stainless Suspension Shafts

- hollow gearshafts

- F&R universals

- oil dampers

- Adjustable Upper Arm Set

- hardened diff outdrives

edit

- high torque servo saver and alloy servo arm

I've got one - I agree it's a blast and likes to roll over a lot too :D

I've upgraded the following:

58589 - Bearings

Shocks (Absima)

54588 - Aluminium steering arm

54644 - Aluminium Servo Lowering guard

54587 - Aluminium servo stay

54610 - Wheel Hub clamps (hexes)

I did have a low turn motor in for a bit, but I found the stock Torque Tuned was much better balanced, much more fun.

The shocks and bearings are a strong recommend. Everything else was less required for me, but does look nice and blingy with the blue anodized aluminium :)

Thanks for the great advice. I was planning on starting with the bearings and servo guard. Any specific Shocks / Oil dampers I should get?

What other bodies will fit on this chassis and where would I be able to order them online. I can see that I am gonna need additional bodies. This thing bounces and rolls real easy.

Manny

Yes, it uses a gear diff so you can use all the usual locking methods on it. You might find that slowing it with AW grease works better than locking it completely. Worth a try perhaps?

• Like 1

Yes, it uses a gear diff so you can use all the usual locking methods on it. You might find that slowing it with AW grease works better than locking it completely. Worth a try perhaps?

Thanks, I might try AW grease first. How about bodies? Its supposed to be the same as the WR-02 chassis, so the Suzuki Jimny body should fit?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/body-set-truck-71140/rc-body-set-suzuki-jimny-sj30-51495

Will this body work?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=51475

Here's some pics of my sons GF-01 out in the Autumn leaves the other day, they're a great little machine and we had a lot of fun. How is yours going?

gf04.JPG

gf03.JPG

gf02.JPG

gf01.JPG

• Like 1

Here's some pics of my sons GF-01 out in the Autumn leaves the other day, they're a great little machine and we had a lot of fun. How is yours going?

gf04.JPG

gf03.JPG

gf02.JPG

gf01.JPG

Those pics look great. The Land Cruiser looks awesome. That Super Clod buster looks great too.

I got mine built, I still need to paint the body though. Last night I upgraded the shock to Tamiya CVA Mini Shocks.

Have not had a chance to test it properly with the new shocks.

I am still undecided on the body colour, Thinking of going with Tamiya PS-16 Metallic Blue for the body and probably Black for the roof like you guys did.

I'm thinking of painting the wheels, but just the spokes White maybe.

I'll upload some picks when I've painted the body and applied the decals.

• Like 1

Sounds cool! It's a plucky little kit so you can really go anywhere with the colour combinations. We planned on painting/fitting the Wild Willy driver but have not tackled it yet. Maybe some rainy weekend over the Christmas period would be a good time to give that a whirl.

I was looking at the driver too and thinking, do I really wanna put him in there. So for now I have decided to leave Willy out.

If Willy or one of his mates doesn't take the wheel, perhaps consider tinting the windows? Maybe it is just me, but I find cars with visible cockpits driving around with no drivers in them rather freaky. (I blame having read Stephen King's "Christine" at a young age.)

• Like 2

If Willy or one of his mates doesn't take the wheel, perhaps consider tinting the windows? Maybe it is just me, but I find cars with visible cockpits driving around with no drivers in them rather freaky. (I blame having read Stephen King's "Christine" at a young age.)

Don't you know Self driving cars are the future, Just ask Google. :P

So I finally got around to doing a bit of painting. I painted the body Tamiya PS-16 Metallic Blue and the roof PS-12 Silver.

I had a bit of blue leakage on the roof, but it is fine. I also started with the decals. I'm not gonna apply all the decals though.

Here is my Land Cruiser 40:

GF-01%20Land%20Cruiser%20%205.jpg

GF-01%20Land%20Cruiser%20%202.jpg

GF-01%20Land%20Cruiser%20%201.jpg

• Like 1

I still wanna add a couple of the decals, but other than that it is done. No I need to find another body for this Chassis as this body will be my basher.

That blue looks superb, I think that is my favourite colour I've seen on one of these so far!

Does anyone know if the CR01 Landcruiser front grille fits this?

Any pics or links for the servo guard?

Cheers

Nito

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the CR01 Landcruiser front grille fits this?

Nah, sadly the scale is different

IMG_2383.jpg

• Like 2

That blue looks superb, I think that is my favourite colour I've seen on one of these so far!

Thanks Nitomor, I first thought about going with either the lighter blue or perhaps a beige, but this looks so much better.

Nah, sadly the scale is different

IMG_2383.jpg

Thanks Jupitertwo, I was also wondering if it would fit, now I know it does not.

For an alternative body, any of the WR-02 bodies should fit fairly easily - Jimny wheelie, VW Combi and Wild Willy 2.

• Like 1

For an alternative body, any of the WR-02 bodies should fit fairly easily - Jimny wheelie, VW Combi and Wild Willy 2.

Cool, thanks, now I just need to find some online. I'm a fan of the VW Combi, so will probably get 2 of those bodies, on for Shelf Queen and one for Bashing!!!

The Combi uses different body mounts so make sure they're included if you buy a body.

• Like 1