studioRS

Porsche 959 MF-01X, TGB body project

Thanks for all the bumps! Honestly, totally swamped busy with daily Magazine design work. Didn't help to get side-tracked with the GT-01 Porsche 934 turbo Almeras rallye spec build (progressing along nicely, photo updates soon) and Santa delivering this last December a Tamiya M06 Alpine Renault A110 Monte kit to the wife for the holidays. Sneaky way of getting another kit in line for ME to build. I'll get some updates here soon.

Cheers, Thompson

1 hour ago, studioRS said:

Thanks for all the bumps! Honestly, totally swamped busy with daily Magazine design work. Didn't help to get side-tracked with the GT-01 Porsche 934 turbo Almeras rallye spec build (progressing along nicely, photo updates soon) and Santa delivering this last December a Tamiya M06 Alpine Renault A110 Monte kit to the wife for the holidays. Sneaky way of getting another kit in line for ME to build. I'll get some updates here soon.

Cheers, Thompson

Daily design work.... I do the same.  My work on my instrument rating during my off time is really putting a delay on my RC builds!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sparkysx said:

I'll get my mfo1x posted before you do and I haven't started mine yet! ready, set, go!

Yeah!  I like me some 959... just not enough to build one.  Lancia 037 comes first.

29 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

Yeah!  I like me some 959... just not enough to build one.  Lancia 037 comes first.

not in a race though ;)

• Like 1

I'm still collecting parts. Most recent?  Scored a set of proper white rcrallyraiders scale 1/12 Porsche 959 rims and slightly used original tyres like you've fitted. Need to buy the darn MF01x next!

Haa! No, still waiting, Lol. Need to get on that asap though.

Christmas last year saw a sneaked in Alpine Renault A110 (supposed to be for the wifey) but quickly was handed over to me to build...  Then need to finish my GT-01 rallye spec.

Also, for some silly reason, I think that Tamiya will do a newer version of the 959 in 2017 as it was originally launched in 1987. Not sure they'll make it with a MF01X - looking at your's with the correct scale wheels, sure does name sense and look correct!  My luck they'll launch a re-re of the original and I'll of course, have to buy both.

@sparkysx - Looks really nice. Sporting an original 959 lexan Tamiya body and styrene plastic rear 959 wing too!

On 3/31/2017 at 4:14 PM, sparkysx said:

not in a race though ;)

Haha... but put it up against a mid-eighties Lancia... I think the 0-60 in under 3 seconds on gravel, turbo+supercharged Delta S4 might have upper hand... 

lancia-s4-martini-jump.jpg

Sorry for hacking this thread, but I'm rebuilding a vintage Porsche 959 as a runner. And I'm still searching some wheels and tire combo. Are there any alternative fitting the original Porsche 959? Have also fitted the Astute/Avante? Hex. So both 12 or 10mm alternatives would be ok. 

Saw those RC Rally Raider 959 wheels, but which tires fit them besides the very hard to find originals? 

Read about Kawada. Do they have something which fits? Links pls. 

These are some wheels I took off from a Toyota Corolla rally car so far, the best combo:

20170503_233406.jpg

• Like 1

@chaini Correct, RC Rally Raider 959 wheels are the best hand down. Also good if you can source some vintage original 1/12 tires to match as this is the best looking to keep it scale.

I was able to source a set of original 959 tires and RC Rally Raider rims for my project.

Update, glad I've waited so long to pull the trigger on buying the MF-01X chassis for my build. For some reason, buying a Suzuki Jimny just didn't seem right to build up my Porsche 959. Love this new kit and will wait until this comes out, perfect. 

Cheers, Thompson

36304015662_41d89c0b4b_z.jpg

• Thanks 1

Project update...  Volkswagen Beetle rallye MF-01X is in the cross-hairs, currently shows status as "on order" from Tower Hobbies. I'll pull the trigger when in-stock, should be nestled up near a tree or around first of the year. Finally get this project back on the build board and wrapped up. Also, have a tarmac spec in the works, stay tuned.

I found these smaller diameter hex hubs that look to fit my RallyeRaider smaller rims and original tires. Spec in at 9.5mm OD.

Cheers, TS

37966713545_31f5c14e6b_z.jpg

37966713805_64485b9774_z.jpg

On 12/5/2017 at 12:06 PM, studioRS said:

Project update...  Volkswagen Beetle rallye MF-01X is in the cross-hairs, currently shows status as "on order" from Tower Hobbies. I'll pull the trigger when in-stock, should be nestled up near a tree or around first of the year. Finally get this project back on the build board and wrapped up. Also, have a tarmac spec in the works, stay tuned.

I found these smaller diameter hex hubs that look to fit my RallyeRaider smaller rims and original tires. Spec in at 9.5mm OD.

Cheers, TS

I was thinking if a street version body was available that'd be a really sweet build.  I considered that maybe a slight alteration to a 959 rally body could be done, but saw some pics recently of how very different it is to the road car, e.g. intakes in a different spot, front trunklid obviously, rear vents are different, rear spoiler looks higher, etc.

1537_porsche_959_rear_34_16x9.jpg?itok=k

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/paris-dakar-rally-porsche-959-a-whiteout-wonder

• Like 2

@firefoxussr Nice find, yes I read about that rendition, but really didn't check it out — thanks for posting it here! It looks to be the rallye spec 959 sans graphics and on a white body.  I have finished the Nr.180 white 961 decal set for the 959 and is currently with Nathaniel at mci racing ready to be printed. I'd imagine with the decal set I've drafted, onto an all white 959 replica body, it will definitely look similar to the above posted photo.

This 959 project I've got myself into seems to be stuck in eternal limbo... I've acquired most of the right optional parts, and even had the Beetle ordered via Tower. But alas, that never came to be due to the recent business problem there. I had to switch gears and put it on hold for a bit. Here's why...

So, to occupy my idle Tamiya mind I entered in a recent TCS race #235 with both a highly detailed Porsche 911GT3 Cup (over-the-top detailing! carbon fiber exhaust, full interior, seat belts, fire extinguisher, GT3 Cup RS pull door handles, dash decals, fuse panel, wiring, the whole lot! ) for the concourse and even raced a TT-01 Type-E with another semi-full detailed custom decal set Porsche 911GT3 Cup. The first body took me well over 40+ hours to detail, setting up the race chassis wasn't that hard. To my surprise I took third on the podium in GT Spec Novice, even used old school 24+ old NiCads haha Lol! Last TCS race I was in was the #2 TCS in 1994, so I was a little rusty at racing. I don't want to clog up my own thread with too much distraction and was planning to make a separate thread on the Porsche 911GT3 Cup detailing build, so only get an official Tamiya link here for now.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/race.php?tcs_race-id=211

With this recent podium, I've qualified for the TCS finals in SoCal =). With this, I've got to buy a TT02R, deck it out with some proper options, B3 tires, upgrade my charger, batteries, etc. List goes on...  This will put the little 959 on hold again, but really for a GOOD reason. And as luck has it, I grew up down there and family house is only 22 min from the Aliso Viejo track. Yes, I'm going. Seems fitting, having raced the #2 TCS race in 1994 and now will race the last ever finals at the Tamiya USA track in SoCal.

• Like 2

@studioRS Racing always comes .... wait for it... first !

I haven't built anything all year and the past half of 2017, my build time all been going to flight training/wife/new job/etc.   If there was a dedicated on-road rc track in the area, I'd definitely roll out a few of the racecars.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

@studioRS Racing always comes .... wait for it... first !

I haven't built anything all year and the past half of 2017, my build time all been going to flight training/wife/new job/etc.   If there was a dedicated on-road rc track in the area, I'd definitely roll out a few of the racecars.  

Ha! YES! Well, jump into the hot tub time machine, it was that darned 1st place I received in the #2 TCS 1994 race that really started all this racing hoopla. Didn't hurt either racing a Tamiya Mercedes-Benz 190E Evo on the retro TA-01 chassis!  Funny thing, the current marketing director for Tamiya USA, Fred M. was at the SAME #2 TCS race, he got 3rd in F1. Also hooked up an email with Doc this week who built the old Red Dot 540-J motors, he was racing against me in the stock class at the same race. Such a small world. Crazy hooking up with two TCS #2 alumni in one week.

Wait, I said I wasn't going to stray off topic. "I wish that the Technogold motor in the 959 was TCS legal back then in stock 4WD/FWD!" There, kept it on topic, kinda of =)

Cheers, Thompson

@Baddon I'm planning to eventually finish this, even though I'm *still* slowly collecting parts. Currently in the process of preparing for a gigantic 2,800+ mile (4,500km) move of my house and family across the US. All of my hobby shop parts are getting packed at the moment. 

Finally an update!

I was able to source most all parts individually and build out the chassis. Scored some 5mm dia carbon fiber tubes to make the gearbox shafts, added lots of option parts. Forgot to order the small little metal brace for the motor bolts, Oops! So, made one out of a spare nitro brake part by drilling an extra hole, lol.

This is going to be a tarmac version, no off-roading and I have a little surprise up my sleeve. I have two TBG 959 bodies. I designed a set of 961 stickers with the intention of making one a Porsche 959 racing spec (959RS? 961 tribute?). Would love to have a 3D printed 961 body to make it proper (see attachment photo), but too expensive at 1/12 scale for my budget. Maybe I'll do it later, sure would be cool, but could never run it. With this body I can go flat out! At least the 961 sticker set I designed is available through MCI and will make a nice rendition even if it's on the 959 body. My plan is to fully detail with interior using new 3D printed MCI parts, and more, a tarmac spec 9961 tribute.

For this 961 tribute I wanted to get the correct size rims and tires so this looks as correct and scale as I could. The Cross 5-spoke black wheels and Tamiya 60D tires do it perfectly! I also have a full set of RallyRaider 3D printed 1/12 scale rims with original Tamiya Porsche 959 tires, but that's for the other 959 body.

Set-up
1 54643 MF-01X Ball Bearings
1 50738 TL01 G Parts (Gears)
1 53342 TL01 Speed-Tuned Gear Set
1 50602 Diff. Bevel Gear
1 53267 TA03 Ball Differential
2 53322 Hollow Carbon Gear shafts 2x40mm 1x30mm 1x21mm
1 54654 S Wheelbase Propshaft
2 53218 Gear diff. Hard Joint Cups
2 9805503 M-Chassis Drive Shaft
1 54660 MF-01X Alum Motor Mount
1 51000 Hi-Torque Servo saver
1 54249 Aluminum Turnbuckle 3x32 steering
2 50823 TG10 Wheel Axle Silver
1 54659 MF-01X Carbon Damper stay rear
1 50746 CVA Super Mini Shocks with cut down springs (1.5 coils) removed front and rear. Rear gets spring shim for extra weight of motor. This gets the droop proper and sets the ride height so the TBG 959 body fits just right and low without any rubbing.
1 9000815 RC F Parts (red)
1 50882 King Pin Set
1 53301 TL01 Stainless Suspension Shafts
4 50823 Wheel Axle
1 54247 Aluminum Turnbuckle Shaft 3x18 rear upper arm
Cross M Chassis black 5-spoke rims
1 53340 M-Chassis 60D Type A tires
1 53255 M-Chassis 60D sponge inserts, hard

Body posts are full length now, but of course will be trimmed for the 961 tribute. I'll require another set of body posts for my other 959 body. So, squint your eyes and think Porsche 959RS, 961 tribute even though this is rendered on a 959 body. This should make a nice quick hillclimb Porsche to battle with my 1/10 scale kits.

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

961 2.jpg

961_24h_le_mans_1986_02.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

961.jpg

• Like 3