Cesco

Franks WR02 Wild Willy and other builds

Then my attention went to the storage rack. Same here, repair and paint.

pitcrew13.jpg

pitcrew14.jpg

The boxes in second picture came with the workshop set, I need some more items to fill up the storage rack.

This workbench involved a little more work. First removed the aluminium tape that was supposed to be the top and the rear. Glued the lose pieces together.

Painted it. Then I made a new top and "wall" out of a piece of thin wood. Also made 2 shelfs. I painted the wall white and glued it to the back of the workbench.

For the wooden top of the workbench I used some brown Tamiya paint and a fan brush to immitate the wood look. When that was dry I applied a coat of woodstain.

pitcrew15.jpg

Same proces for the second workbench. And made some work of dressing the wall.

pitcrew16.jpg

pitcrew17.jpg

pitcrew18.jpg

pitcrew19.jpg

So, now that's done, it is time for the pitcrew. But that will be something I have time for at Xmass time.

pitcrew20.jpg

• Like 1

Really nice work here. Like what you did with the raffle cars, and love the WW2 and garage kit. Enjoying this, more please! :D

Thanks guys. Already got plans for the next WW2 build and collecting the parts for it right now.

Pitcrew

Well Rob, you're wish is my commend. So, about a week ago I started with the pitcrew. There gonna be 4 of them at least. 2 Jack's, 1 Ozzie and 1 Kelly.

I started with the pants, idea is to paint them a jeans look. I started with a blue base.

pitcrew21.jpg

Kinda made a classic mistake there, as I used X-4, which is a gloss blue…. Oops. Didn’t notice it until the next morning in daylight. I then looked up on the good old internet for some advise and I used this tutorial:

http://tamiyabase.com/blog/how-to/196-make-your-own-wild-willy-famliy.html

After that I looked in my paint box and o dear, I mostly have gloss paints. So a order was placed at Tamico and several needed flat paint was ordered.

As it arrived I gave it a second go yesterday evening. I forgot to order the recommended XF-23 Light Blue for the base coat, so I made my own color for that. Mixed some XF-18 and XF-85 and painted this as the base coat. Then I highlited the folds and shades for a first coat by a mix of X-4 Blue gloss + XF-1 Black flat + X-21 Flat base. And after that did a second coat of highlights with XF-85 Rubber black. Which gave this result:

pitcrew22.jpg

Then I dry brushed it with XF-18 Medium Blue.

pitcrew23.jpg

After that dried I dry brushed it with XF-2 White flat.

pitcrew24.jpg

And I added some details in the stitches and with the XF-2 to kinda give all jeans the same look, but with a individual touch. For the stitches I used XF-3 Flat Yellow, XF-7 Flat Red and XF-28 Dark Copper. For the undersite of Kellys jeans I reversed the painting proces above. So started with a base coat of XF-2 white and build it up layer for layer the other way around. Well, here is the result untill now:

pitcrew25.jpg

Next up for paint are the shoes/feet/underlegs. The photos do not realy do justice to the jeans, but give a good idea (the flashlight takes away the flat look). In real they look really close to real jeans, so I’m happy with the result. What do you think?

• Like 5

Honda City Turbo - the boxart red version

Well, it is easier to start a new project with a pitcrew of Willy helpers. But untill they are available, there’s no point in waiting with the next build. Christmas time, a free day off, time on my hands. And two of my kids pointing out that they want to help building one of my project cars. So, as a good dad, sure. Which one boys? Ah, the Honda City Turbo, Willys next ride. Well, let’s start.

Setting up:

Wheeler5.jpg

Wheeler6.jpg

Wheeler7.jpg

What’s this then? Did I hire the Gas Monkey Garage to do the work that my Willys pitcrew are supposed to do? Or are my kids just monkeying around?

Anyhow… first progress is made.

Wheeler8.jpg

Wheeler9.jpg

Wheeler10.jpg

Changed the plastic bearings for metal ones that where supplied in the box. And added the hop-up wheely wheel. Got the first of the suspension and servo setup done.

That’s as far as there was time for. I'm using this build to interest my kids more in builds, so progress is (way) slower as when I do it myself. But they are learning, that's what matters. Soon more in this topic.

• Like 1

Got a little further with the Willis pit crew and the Honda City Turbo. First the pitcrew.

I painted the feet/shoes. I wanted to do something in the pit crew theme and so something with the look of race shoes. Overall colours for that are black - grey - white, usualy with a logo like Sparco, OMP, Simson or something. I happen to have some really small Simpson decals, so this is what I made of it. (Sorry for the crappy photo's, but you get the idea).

Paints used.

Shoes:

XF-1 Flat black for the shoes exceped the shoe soles.

A 50/50 mix of XF-1 and XF-2 to create the grey for the shoes.

XF-2 Flat white for the white stripe on the shoes.

XF-65 Rubber Black for the shoe soles.

XF Flat Clear for the shoes except the shoe soles. Also did this over the Simpson decal.

Skin:

First a coat of XF-15 Flat flash and then dry brushed with a 20:1 mix of XF-15 and XF-10 Flat Brown.

I used X11 for the chain located on the jeans of the Jack underbodies. And with this the underbodies are ready. Upperbodies next.

pitcrew26.jpg

pitcrew27.jpg

pitcrew28.jpg

• Like 1

I've got some more done on the pitcrew, it is a slow proces due to little time. Bodies are pretty much done, just need to do the heads and some logos.

pitcrew29.jpg

pitcrew30.jpg

Electronics

Also did some work on the RC cars of the kids. Added extra lights to the Traxxas Son uva Digger and also added lights to the Traxxas Grave Digger.

All 3 Traxxas cars have a Team Orion brushless set, but with all 3 they kept stalling with the NiHM batteries. Which translated in my boys not driving them anymore. Manual wasn't very helpfull, so spend a evening on the net and with the help of Google, YouTube and some forums. I found out what the problem was and got it fixed. So boys happy. Then it was time to upgrade their transmitters from 27MHz to 2.4GHz transmitter/receivers. I went for the FlySky GT3C. To set them apart I used some spare Traxxas decals so the boys now which one is theirs. And if you're wondering, the stripes on the base of the right one, thats part of a spare K&N decal for my 1:1 car I had laying around. The Grave Digger decal was part of a package label. It took a lot of patience to carefully get of the package that included the light set for the Traxxas Grave Digger car. I think they came out nice.

I'm gonna order another Flysky GT3C for myself.

GT3C1.jpg

GT3C2.jpg

GT3C3.jpg

GT3C4.jpg

GT3C5.jpg

So now that's fixed I can turn my attention again towards finishing the pitcrew and the Honda City Turbo.

Well, it has been a long time since I posted anything. Things have been slow, mostly due work.
Also because (RC related) I'm working on 4 projects at the time. Finishing the pitcrew and been building 2 Honda City Turbos and a Wild Willy.

Last weeks I had a little bit more time on my hands and with a vacation currently I finished the pitcrew today.

pitcrew31.jpg

I tried to make each one differently. I already did that with painting  the bodies, but also tried that with the heads.

What you see are 2 Jack Willys. Credits have to go to Jennymo for the idea somewhere in one of her replys or topics. But adding glasses sure makes one of them stand out. And a bit different. The way I did it. I used Jacks glasses. Drilled holes tot the side of the head where the ears are supposed to be. After painting the face I added the glasses (painted them to match my own glasses). And glued them in from the back with Tamiya cement. Did that 3 times to build a good layer of glue and make it strong. Carefully added a drop of Tamiya cement between the nose and the middle of the glasses.
And there you have it. A new take on a Jack Wild Willy. My kids think it looks like me because of the glasses and the color of the eyes. So let's call this one Wild Frank. And the other one just Wild Willy.

Then we have 2 more. Wild Ozzie and Wild Kelly. For Kelly I looked for inspiration to the Wild Wendys and Jennymos take on her Wild Kelly. So with the Dremel I made the nose smaller and gave her some cheakbones. Painting did the rest to give her a female look. Wild Ozzie also got a detail done. If you look really good you will notice the chin piece of his helmet is different. I removed the point in it with a Dremel.

It was quite some work, but I think it came out alright. For the painting I used most of the tutorial on this website http://www.tamiyaclub.com/willy.asp and I also cheated a bit by buying a Senna Willy from Rob (Ibiftkh) to learn from the master. Those eyes you paint Rob, briljant!

Well, enough talking, time for pictures:

pitcrew32.jpg

pitcrew33.jpg

pitcrew34.jpeg

pitcrew35.jpeg

pitcrew36.jpeg

pitcrew37.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you Rob.

Bye the way, the glasses from Jack (if anyone want to copy it), they are a perfect fit for the Willy head and nose. No trimming needed.
I guess if anyone wants to, with painting the glasses with some Tamiya X-19 smoke paint, you can also make sunglasses out of them. Mmm, that's giving me a idea for one of my current projects...

Honda City Turbo - the green version

Well, now with the pitcrew completed, back tot the Honda City Turbo build. Or should I say builds...

Yes, that's right, I'm building now 2 at the time. One is a new one, the other one is a beaten up Wild Willy 2 that I'm converting in a Honda City Turbo. The new one will have a red theme. The rebuild one will have a green theme. And as pictures say more as words:

Look back in my topic and you will notice I added the electronics and changed the wheelie wheel from a blue to a red one. Also I changed the shocks for some Tamiya short CVAs, the yellow ones. For the electronics. It is running the supplied Torque Tuned engine, a FlySky receiver and a Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 ESC.

Wheeler14.jpeg

I already had a used Wild Willy with a lot of broken parts bought some time ago.
I bought all the parts to replace the broken parts and to make it in to a Honda City Turbo. The blue wheelie wheel found its way to this build, shocks are white short CVAs and electronics are the same. The diff unit has been replaced by a brand new one including a Torque Tuned engine because there where lots of broken parts in the Original one and this was cheaper also as I wanted also to buy the Torque Tuned engine. Rest of the electronics is the same as the one above. As far as the diffs (and the rest of the build) go, I upgraded them with metal rubber sealed bearings from RCbearings and I put a Square SWR-30 kit in it. The pinion is now a 23T.

Wheeler15.jpg

Wheeler16.jpg

At this point I found out I was missing 2 E parts, so build stopt here as I had to order them first.

Since then I have painted the bodies white after I first trimmed the wheelarches. Don't have pictures of this yet.

If you look some posts back where I show my finished pitcrew, you also see a picture of 6 Wild Willy faces that I painted. Well, 2 of them are for the Honda City Turbo builds. So, I went on with painted them and this is the result:

Wheeler17.jpeg

Wheeler18.jpeg

The holes in the back f the heads are filled in, as I also did with the pitcrew heads. Visors will be added later as I'm currently waiting for the needed screws (been ordered).

Yesterday the missing E-parts where delivered, so without due the pitcrew and I finished the second Honda City Turbo chassis.

Wheeler19.jpeg

Wheeler20.jpeg

Wheeler21.jpg

So, that's it for now. Next up is finishing the bodies and add some lighting to them.

• Like 3

Those are coming along nicely and your pit crew turned out excellent!

Harry

• Like 1

The crew and I got a lot done in the first week of our summer holiday. Focus went to finish first one of the two Honda City Turbo's.
So after painting all the details like the windows and so on, it was time for decals. Also added led lighting.

Getting close to beeing finished.

Wheeler22.jpg

Wheeler23.jpeg

Wheeler24.jpeg

Wheeler25.jpeg

After a well deserved holiday the pit crew and I finished the first Honda City Turbo. Lightning and all decals completed.
Willys helmet got a visor now. Sorted the electronics and well, this one is done.

Wheeler26.jpg

Wheeler27.jpg

Wheeler28.jpeg

Wheeler29.jpg

I drilled four 1mm holes close together in the indicator / turning signal section in the front bumper. Then repainted it so the paint filed the holes again. Orange led behind it and presto.
One working indicator / turning signal.

Wheeler30.jpeg

Wheeler31.jpeg

Now this one's done, time the crew start to work on the second one (and a whole lot of other projects!).

• Like 2

Very nice, these always look great in box-art colours. Especially when it's done as well as yours. I like the trick with the front indicators too - very effective.

• Like 1

Sweeeeet... Love all the details to the crew, plus the smoked black lenses are are a mean n moody touch I like it!

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Rob, the trick with the front indicators was a bit of a gamble, but turned out great. Easy, effective and cheap sollution.

The pitcrew are working on several builds right now, so new cars will be presented in this topic asap.