Cesco

Franks WR02 Wild Willy and other builds

Well, the second Honda City Turbo is done. It is in a green boxart racing style.

This one started out as you can read earlier in this topic as a beaten up Wild Willy 2 that I've converted in this Honda City Turbo. I stripped down the Wild Willy 2 WR02 chassis and rebuild it to Honda City Turbo specs. Replaced all the broken parts and changed the parts that are needed for the Honda City Turbo wheels. Then started with new body parts and went for a green version of the normal red boxart theme. With a touch of Willys Wheeler in the decals.

Added a blue wheelie wheel, full set of rubber sealed metal bearings and white Tamiya short CVAs. For the electronics. It is running a Torque Tuned engine, a FlySky receiver and a Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 ESC. Wild Willy has a visor added and is done in a green theme. White lettering on the tyres. And to make a bit different, special feature are the double rear roof spoilers.

Decals are a mix of the rere Honda City Turbo decals (mostly the blue parts) and a set of green Willys Wheeler decals by mciracing.ca.
Now why not just use the geen theme decals you say?
Well to be honest, they are not the best quality. The blue is way off compared to the blue of the original rere Tamiya decal sheet. The other thing is that al the decal parts have pixel kinda edges. Which meant I had to correct that as I was cutting the decals out of the sheet. Also the sizes of the decals did not quite match up to the original decal sheet. They where a little bit smaller. So I decided to mix and match to get this result. Now I have the correct blue color and changed all the normal red decals for the green ones by mcracing.ca. I had to cut out all the upper Turbo letter decals out of the red original rere sheet as the Turbo letters in the green theme where smaller and not imbedded in the green theme parts. But in the end, I think it all came out great.

And there you you have it, one mean green Honda City Turbo racer. Hope you like it!

As for the pitcrew, they are already working on a new build.
Or builds? Come to think of it, quite some project cars inside their workshop and on their parking lot. I see a SRB, a MB, a Clod, a Wild Willy 2.
And Wild Ozzie just tells me he just bought another Wild Willy 2 from member njmlondon. Well, I guess you all have to check this topic out to see new projects and builds in the near future...

As for now, the photos of this finished project:

Wheeler32.jpg

Wheeler33.jpg

Wheeler34.jpg

Wheeler35.jpg

Wheeler36.jpg

Wheeler37.jpg

Wheeler38.jpg

Wheeler39.jpg

Wheeler40.jpg

• Like 4

Just finished another build. My first RC car ever was a new Tamiya Super Champ. Loved it when I was a teenager.
Somewhere in my live I kinda drove it to pieces and at some point I got rid of it.

Fast forward to 2014. Just got back in RC for the 3th time in my live and the word got out that Tamiya was gonna do a rere of the Super Champ. So a soon as the first shops started to sell them I ordered one. Even with the new name Fighting Buggy and some changed decals I just had to have it. It kinda got on the RC projects pile and time past. So fast forward again to summer 2016. As I was working on the 2 Honda City Turbos above I also started on the Fighting Buggy. I took it with me on my holiday/vacation and spend the evenings building it. So let's start:

Fighting_Buggy2.jpg

Fighting_Buggy4.jpg

Fighting_Buggy5.jpg

I ordered a second body and decals to replicate the original Super Champ body for spare and sentimental reasons. Also ordered some hopups like a set of aluminium wheels and a RVS replacement screw set.

But I started with paint and decals.
Fighting_Buggy6.jpg

Fighting_Buggy9.jpg

Fighting_Buggy10.jpg

Fighting_Buggy11.jpg

Fighting_Buggy12.jpg

Then started building the chassis.
Fighting_Buggy13.jpg

Aluminium spur gear, standard motor.

Fighting_Buggy15.jpg

Fighting_Buggy17.jpg

Fighting_Buggy21.jpg

Adding some protection tape for the battery.

Fighting_Buggy23.jpg

Fighting_Buggy24.jpg

Fighting_Buggy25.jpg

Fighting_Buggy31.jpg

Almost done.Took some time to get the bubbles out of the tube, but as you can see in later pics I managed to get them out.

Fighting_Buggy32.jpg

Fighting_Buggy35.jpg

This was as far as I could build it, I forgot to order a servo, so was not able to finish it.
Fighting_Buggy39.jpg

Back from my holiday/vacation I first ordered a servo and some extra hopups. While waiting for those to be delivered, I first finished the Honda City Turbo projects.

The ordered parts:

Fighting_Buggy45.jpg

Fighting_Buggy42.jpg

Not on the pictures is a aluminium front bumper.

To install the metal gears, I offcourse had to take the Fighting Buggy all apart again.... and rebuild it. Changed the standard motor for a Sport Tuned. I think it was well worth it.

Fighting_Buggy43.jpg

• Like 1

I am still working on the second body, no pics of that yet. Currently waiting for the ordered roof parts and the driver sprue parts. Decals are already done, pics will follow when this Super Champ body is done.

As for the Fighting Buggy. Well servo is installed, all the rest of the electronics is installed. And it is done. Ready to be used. And as pictures say more than words. Enjoy.

Fighting_Buggy47.jpg

Fighting_Buggy51.jpg

Fighting_Buggy56.jpg

Fighting_Buggy52.jpg

Fighting_Buggy59.jpg

Fighting_Buggy58.jpg

Fighting_Buggy53.jpg

Fighting_Buggy54.jpg

Fighting_Buggy55.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, and as a tip. How do you get rid of the bubbles in the rear suspension system?
It is not hard. It might be handy to have somebody to help you with this.

Compress the damper completely. And leave it like that. Make sure the bottle is higher as the damper.
Now comes the tricky part. Using your fingers, start at the the end of the tube at the damper site. Now push the bubbles upwards towards the bottle.
If you do it right, no more bubbles. When all bubbles are gone, decompress the damper. If things do not work out you can add some more oil, that worked for me.

Good luck!

Hello Cesco, Great work on the Willy's Wheeler! Currently I'm working on making my own version of the real thing ;) 

15433797_1822869527925553_6378429753309140645_n.jpg

15875588_1822869587925547_7112060850197935446_o.jpg

• Like 13

Cesco - doing a grand job of the builds, liking the details and the willys wheeler is ace.

Antrarxxx - We need more details of that!! get over to the 'anything not RC related' and post some more pics and details. I'm building a Brat pick up replica, be good to have another 1:1 car build.

• Like 1

Thanks Zakspeed! Your Brat build is pretty full on! always liked the look of those :)  I'II have a go at setting up a not RC page. Currently I run a City Turbo page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Honda-City-Turbo-II-1486462251566284/

They are one of those Love 'em or Hate 'em cars. This is my first ever attempt at a custom car/bodykit & working with fiberglass, but so far it's going well. I was lucky enough to go to Japan last year & meetup with some fellow City owners & got driven around for a day in this beast - Maybe a replica could be Cesco's next project? ;) I have more pics. & video of it if anyone wants to see more.

12244395_1669302453282262_1492086946518379640_o.jpg

I finished the second body for the Fighting Buggy I already build as can be seen above. I used several Fighting Buggy and several repro decals to create a Super Champ body on a Fighting Buggy chassis. Also updated one pair of plastic wheels with aluminium covers. And got me a nice perspex stand from E-bay. As photos say more than words:

Fighting_Buggy60.jpg

Decals and netting done.

Fighting_Buggy61.jpg

Updating 1 pair of plastic rims with aluminium covers.

Fighting_Buggy62.jpg

Fighting_Buggy63.jpg

The pitcrew looking at the finished product of their labour.

Fighting_Buggy64.jpg

Fighting_Buggy65.jpg

Gave Al Ernats helmet a personal touch.

Fighting_Buggy70.jpg

Fighting_Buggy71.jpg

Nice perspex stand from Ebay.

• Like 1

Super Willy - Willys ode to the Super Champ

During finishing my Fighting Buggy projects a idea for a Wild Willy build sprung to mind. Consulted the pitcrew and they were up to it!
Those little mecanics liked the idea to build something they can race themselve after building Al Ernat a new ride.

So, as you can read in the start of this topic. My first RC and Tamiya RC ever was my beloved Super Champ. I had so much fun with that as a kid and had so much fun driving it together with my brother and his Wild Willy M38. So, I came up with a idea as a ode to the Super Champ, Willy style!
It is also a bit of a ode to the Blazing Blazer, which I never had, but I really like the looks of it. And I used the roof idea from the Blazing Blazer. Added a lot of Super Champ influences and looked for some inspiration on the internet under Mint 400 Jeep.

Then all I needed was there at the right time. Member njmlondon sold his dark blue Wild Willy 2 on Tamiya Club forum and I bought it (thanks Noel for selling it to me).
Got me all the parts I needed and started to work on the rebuild.

So imagine Al Ernats teammate is Wild Willy. What you get is Super Willy!

Fighting_Buggy72.jpg

• Like 1

So this is what I started with:

Wild_Willy2.1.jpg

Wild_Willy2.2.jpg

Took it apart.

Wild_Willy2.3.jpg

Some inspiration:

Wild_Willy2.example.jpg

And were off with the rebuild.

Some fresh Tamiya TS-15 blue paint.

Wild_Willy2.4.jpg

Wild_Willy2.5.jpg

More paint and the first decals. I used Fighting Buggy decals and some repro decals in different sizes.

Wild_Willy2.6.jpg

Getting alone nicely.

Wild_Willy2.7.jpg

Wild_Willy2.8.jpg

• Like 1

Offcourse no Willy ride without painting up a new Willy.

Wild_Willy2.9.jpg

Wild_Willy2.10.jpg

Wild_Willy2.11.jpg

Wild_Willy2.12.jpg

Then got busy with fabricating an aluminium roof/spoiler, adding netting and cleaned and rebuild the chassis as it had been used quite a bit. Replaced some parts of the chassis, added some hopups and in a nutsshell.
The roof is on the spoiler site mounted to the light pods on the rollcage. Secured with 2 screws on the front of the rollcage. This way I just have to remove the 2 screw on the front and flip the roof backwords to acces the inside of the Wild Willy. This way Willy can be removed if I needed to. Installing 2 NOS bottles is very easy. Just flip it 90 degrees, drill 2 moore mounting holes and now you have room for 2 bottles.

Hopups are a aluminium red wheelie wheel with a black tyre from the black aluminium wheelie wheel set. A full set of rubber sealed metal bearings and yellow Tamiya short CVAs. Tires on the rear are the spikes WW-02 ones to replicate the Super Champ rear tyres look. For the electronics. It is running a Torque Tuned engine, a FlySky receiver and a Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 ESC. Wild Willy has a visor added and is done in a theme that matches the pitcrew. Selfmade aluminium roof/spoiler in a Super Champ / Blazing Blazer style. Super Champ netting to the rollcage. And a decromed, repainted and modified Street Jam old style bumper that I had lying around.

So, there you have it.

Super Willy is here!

I hope you like it, personaly I  just love how this thing looks.

Wild_Willy2.13.jpg

Wild_Willy2.14.jpg

Wild_Willy2.15.jpg

Wild_Willy2.16.jpg

Wild_Willy2.17.jpg

Wild_Willy2.18.jpg

Wild_Willy2.19.jpg

Wild_Willy2.20.jpg

Wild_Willy2.21.jpg

Wild_Willy2.22.jpg

• Like 7

Thank you  jonboy1. Already working on the next Wild Willy project. 

Bling Willy

This is a project I am working on between previous builds for well over a year now. Now all previous builds are done I finaly have time to finish this one. Well, I think the title is telling enough.

Bling Willy is all about well... bling. This is gonna be a shiny looking build. So let's start.

First the chassis. Let's take a bunch of leftover parts, added with some lovely shiny new parts, hopups and needed electronics. Rebuild it to bling specs.

As for parts. GPM Racing Products are the aluminium front and rear shock towers, the aluminium front/rear adjustable dampers and the aluminium wheelie bar. Aluminium bumpers are from Active Hobby. Further a full set of rubber sealed metal bearings is used, a new set of wheels and tyres and original chrome parts. New body and a new Wild Willy.  For the electronics. It is running a Torque Tuned engine, a FlySky receiver and a Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 ESC.

Wild_Willy3.1.jpg

Wild_Willy3.2.jpg

Wild_Willy3.3.jpg

Wild_Willy3.4.jpg

Wild_Willy3.5.jpg

Wild_Willy3.6.jpg

Wild_Willy3.7.jpg

• Like 3

Wife: "Looking at anything interesting dear?"

Me: "Yes, I'm checking out Frank's Willy on the forum!"

Wife: "I didn't think you were into THAT sort of forum!"

:D