chickenman242tk

madcap universal alternatives

just got my madcap in the post , super pumped to start the build but looking at the dogbones they look a bit worn so would like to go for some uni shafts but something that wont break the bank, is there something else i can use from another chassis that will work?

I am about to put some in my Astute, iirc it is DT-02 uj's with blitzer beetle rear hubs

I am about to put some in my Astute, iirc it is DT-02 uj's with blitzer beetle rear hubs

Please, can you post up some pics of this once it's done. I'm really keen to see this in practice. I've heard it can be done but never actually seen it yet. Cheers.

Thundershot uj's work too,

I'll post something up when done, and I really need to update my Madcap/Astute thread, my Astute is getting there

ok so the next question is what is the difference between the madcap gearbox joint and say a blitzer bear hawk , reason i ask as it would be good to use the hardened cups vs the stock madcap

Hay M8 , DID you get your parts :D... Al rung me .

I will have to catch up with ya some time , when i'm in Perth ?.

So are you Building a madcap runner ?.

We need an official Madcap/Astute/Super Astute thread to put all this info in :)

haha I did matt ,I got your number from al , would be cool to have a run with some old school gear for sure, glad I didn't have to come down for a drive lol

the plan is to build it as a light runner , sporting a 01r , ali gearbox plate and a set of astute cva's , got so many tire options for this I haven't made up my mind what to run , probs just stock unless I can find a track to run on.

in the last hour I have stripped it down to a pile of plastic , going full old school with a nos msc including a nos cover to boot , major props to beefmuffin on this one fo shiz.

currently sitting on the fence on the uni's ,part of me wants originality going with astute unis which will give me the hardened cup too

• Like 1

haha I did matt ,I got your number from al , would be cool to have a run with some old school gear for sure, glad I didn't have to come down for a drive lol

the plan is to build it as a light runner , sporting a 01r , ali gearbox plate and a set of astute cva's , got so many tire options for this I haven't made up my mind what to run , probs just stock unless I can find a track to run on.

in the last hour I have stripped it down to a pile of plastic , going full old school with a nos msc including a nos cover to boot , major props to beefmuffin on this one fo shiz.

currently sitting on the fence on the uni's ,part of me wants originality going with astute unis which will give me the hardened cup too

Yer has Al asked if he can give it to you , too sort out the postage etc .

Do you do track runs ? , or beach run maybe ? OR what ?.

I'm sure thommo would be in for a little run some where . Would like to do a beach run of sort some time !.

You got pic's of the project ?. Why do people like the mad cap or even the Astute ? I must be missing some thing !.

• Like 2

im still getting back into Tamiya .don't run them as much as I would like to , im still looking for some kind of track to go for a run at , nothing serious want just to see how these old girls run on a track.

my preferred animal is a bearhawk but you can only do so much with them , I had a madcap bitd along with a host of df01 and ta02 cars , im slowly recollecting them but ben keeps selling me stuff lol.

haven't got any pics of where this one started but once its done ill get them up.

• Like 1

I had changed the rear hubs on my madcap for those off my bearhawk (red part C5) and used the drive shafts and axles from the bearhawk too without issue. I believe the drive shafts are the same length as the DT-02 so in theory should fit the universals no probs. Just last week I actually changed the bearhawk hubs out for the blitzer beetle hubs and everything seems fine so far, with the added bonus of now having brand new C1 parts.

As an aside, I'm a big fan of the bearhawk too - love the looks and always feels well planted when driving, if a little tail happy.

• Like 1

I love the madcap,s o much I have 4,3 in use one is spares.

on my "hopped up madcap" I have:

Astute ujs

Super Astute TTC Gearbox

High Cap shocks

Metal gearbox mounts (This is a must they break in seconds!) I used Avante metal uprights for this "mod"

DF03 Metal support arm things (the top arms cant remember the name of the part now lol)

O2H Motor

on the "runner Madcap"

Metal Gear plate

Metal gearbox Mounts

Metal gear support thing (inside the gearbox I forget the correct name beef had one for sale a few days back)

Black CVA shocks

Tamiya 11t Super Modified

on The Shelfer

All standard apart from the gearbox plate and gearbox mounts and Tamiya Pink Motor

• Like 2

im still getting back into Tamiya .don't run them as much as I would like to , im still looking for some kind of track to go for a run at , nothing serious want just to see how these old girls run on a track.

my preferred animal is a bearhawk but you can only do so much with them , I had a madcap bitd along with a host of df01 and ta02 cars , im slowly recollecting them but ben keeps selling me stuff lol.

haven't got any pics of where this one started but once its done ill get them up.

Corner of Colwyn rd & Moojebing St Bayswater , they are running Vintage class , with silver can . Friday night & i think it's open Wed night for practice .... As matt & David are trying to get some thing running , Can be 2wd or 4wd , but has to be silver can 540 . This is

why i'm not doing it darn silver can 540 , when we all have Brushless systems , we could have 21 or 17 BL .

• Like 1

i was doing some inqiures about west coast but a silver can isnt that appealing lol , maybe if they did some kind of outlaw class more people would be keen. at least they could do some kind of turn limit.

while im thinking of stuff to upgrade ,what are peeps doing for upper arms ,can the dt02 turnbuckle set be used or is there something different?

hey zooter have you got some pics of the mods done to yours?

There is all that as well , but not for vintage . But you can be add to any class 2wd , 4wd etc with your vintage , but the rest will be modern rc . We had RC10 in the same class as modern cars .

...but ben keeps selling me stuff lol.

LOL don't blame me! I haven't even decided to sell the Falcon runner yet... and guess who already called dibs?? (hint: it's you) :lol:

you make it sound a bit dodgy mate , I have poor impulse control lol.

im still calling dibs but :).

got a lot done tonight , its almost back to a rolling chassis just got to sort out radio , servos are in and I need to buy a on off switch, gotta say the cva's look sweet too

stay tuned

• Like 1

LOL don't blame me! I haven't even decided to sell the Falcon runner yet... and guess who already called dibs?? (hint: it's you) :lol:

Well ! , Stop showing him stuff ..

• Like 1

Well ! , Stop showing him stuff ..

LOL it all works out - he's ramping up right when I'm ramping a bit down. Happy to know he's taking over some projects that were going nowhere fast at chez Beef. And at the same time it's helping Paul clamp down on what appeared to have been a pretty pernicious T-Maxx infestation.

• Like 1

LOL it all works out - he's ramping up right when I'm ramping a bit down. Happy to know he's taking over some projects that were going nowhere fast at chez Beef. And at the same time it's helping Paul clamp down on what appeared to have been a pretty pernicious T-Maxx infestation.

So your bringing him down to Tamiya earth :D .. Carry on ! .. Job well done Mr Beef ...

• Like 1

Hey guys, I know the silver cans don't sound too appealing but we run them at the vintage festival in sydney as our stock class motor and they are the biggest classes of the weekend. The racing is close and fun and the cars are traveling at a safer speed. People have asked about 17.5 or 21.5, you'll find you won't be able to gear the madcaps etc tall enough because of the limited ratios available.

Cheers

Hey guys, I know the silver cans don't sound too appealing but we run them at the vintage festival in sydney as our stock class motor and they are the biggest classes of the weekend. The racing is close and fun and the cars are traveling at a safer speed. People have asked about 17.5 or 21.5, you'll find you won't be able to gear the madcaps etc tall enough because of the limited ratios available.

Cheers

I run 17.5 & works fine . I'm all set up with BL & don't have brushed stuff . so i hate it .. I bit the bullet years ago & went all out

getting BL systems only as that's the way things were going . Now they want to go back ... Waste of money again to get set up .

Not going to do it ...